The primary purpose of the Programme Manager Nutrition post is to ensure the effective development and management of the Nutrition project.
Job Title: Nutrition Program Manager South Somalia
TEAM/PROGRAMME:Nutrition Program Manager South
SCI GRADE: 2
POST TYPE: National
Level 3 - the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
ROLE PURPOSE: The primary purpose of the Programme Manager Nutrition post is to ensure the effective development and management of the Nutrition project. The post-holder will hold primary budget holding responsibilities for this project. He/she will contribute to programme strategy, ensure close co-ordination and integration with other projects and foster good working relationships between all sections of the team and with communities, partners, local leaders and counterparts. S/he will work closely with the Field Manager Mogadishu, Nutrition Specialist, Area Representative and Finance and Logistic staff.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Field Manager Mogadishu
Dimensions:Save the Children works in several regions in Somalia/Somaliland with a current staff complement of approximately 300 staff.
Staff directly reporting to this post: N/A
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
1. Manage the implementation and development of the Save the Children in Somalia Nutrition project in Mogadishu and Bay and Bakool. This includes the management of the project budget, as primary budget holder, and provision of direct supervision, implementation and operational support to the local partners.
2. Lead in the development of a planning cycle for the project including annual, quarterly and monthly planning as well as the follow up of partner monthly work-plans. The establishment of these plans will be undertaken by the parnters.
3. Set up and implement regular monitoring and evaluation of: the nutrition component of this project under advice from the Nutrition Specialist. Monitor significant changes against the established baselines and ensure timely reporting.
4. Finalise monthly reports completed by the partners and their contributions to the quarterly and annual internal programme reports. Build the capacity of the partners to analyse, structure and present reports to a high level.
5. Contribute to the development of a clear analysis of the operating environment and context on the ground and to how changes in the context may affect the programme's work. Liaise and maintain good communication between field staff and Senior Management Team (SMT).
6. Ensure the timely and accurate collection of data for compilation of donor reports. Work with the Nutrition Specialist and Field Manager and Area Representative to ensure good quality draft donor reports for submission.
7. Facilitate the visits of Save the Children staff when necessary.
8. Ensure that the logistical needs of the project are clearly presented and prioritised.
- Oversee the development of concept papers and participate in proposal writing.
- Oversee the representation of the principles and work of Save the Children in Somalia to the local community, counterparts, NGOs and other organisations/bodies and the development and maintenance of strong working relations with these groups. As required and in liaison with the Head of Office / Nutrition Specialist, attend meetings in the region to represent the views of the programme in relation to Nutrition activities.
- Comply with the Save the Children in Somalia policies and practices with respect to child protection, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures and code of conduct.
- And any other duties as may be assigned by the line manager or designate which relate to the job purpose.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
· Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
· Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Willing to take disciplined risks
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The post holder will be sensitive to the cultural and political environment of Somalia and will have the ability to plan and ensure the implementation of the project, and to manage resources effectively.
· Educated to a degree standard in a field of nutrition or any other related field.
· At least two years experience of managing emergency projects in Nutrition
· Experience in building the capacity of local NGOs and local authorities and NGO/CBOs.
· Proven financial management skills and experience of budget holding responsibilities
· Experience in project cycle management, report writing, budgeting and grants management.
· Experience of working through systems of community participation
· Adaptability and flexibility.
· Computer literate and proficient in MS-word and MS-excel.
· Commitment to SC’s Child Protection Policy
- Knowledge and experience in implementation of nutrition or related projects.
· Practical experience of implementing of rights based projects.
· Experience of working in an insecure environment.
· Understanding of logistics systems and security management procedures.
CHILD SAFEGUARING POLICY:
Any employee, consultant, contractor or the supplier undertaking an activity on behalf of SCI must sign the Child Safeguarding - Declaration of Acceptance Form] and comply with the SCI’s Child Safeguarding Policy which is a statement of SCI’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it comes into contact.
This extends not only to children with whom SCI and its partners work directly, but also includes children whom staff are responsible for. SCI believes that the situation of children must be improved through the promotion of their rights supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children International's Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to.
CODE OF CONDUCT
Because Save the Children's work is based on deeply held values and principles, it is essential that our commitment to children's rights and humanitarian principles is supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children's Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to
Declaration of commitment:
I…………............................................................................................................. understand and agree to undertake my responsibility in accordance with the above listed accountabilities/activities and also abide the terms and conditions of the contract
Signature:……………….. Date: ………………
All Application should be sent to : Somalia.firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date is on: 30th March, 2013
Date of issue: 16th of March Author : EF