Agricultural Development Coordinator
Agricultural Development Coordinator, Somaliland Job Description
The Pharo Foundation is a private foundation committed to the development of Africa. Our vision is an economically self-reliant Africa. Our mission is to facilitate economic independence of the African people through the promotion of sustainable livelihoods and job creation in Africa. We value sharing, passion, respect, humility and collaboration.
In the last four years, we have funded projects worth over US$6 million in Ethiopia, Somaliland, Somalia and South Sudan. These projects are contributing towards improved access to financial services, education, health, water and sanitation.
Based on lessons learnt from these projects and wide ranging consultation we have carried out, we have developed a new five-year strategy (2016-20). Our strategic objective is to significantly improve the income and livelihoods of 30,000 households in Africa. We are committed to scaling up our work; improving the quality and the effectiveness of our programme selection, design and implementation based on evidence; and achieving significant and lasting improvements in the quality of life of the people whom we support.
The Agricultural Development Coordinator position is a significant addition to our small team that currently operates out of offices in Hargeisa, London and Ethiopia. The position will be based in Hargeisa with regular travel within Somaliland and occasional travel to other programme countries in the region. This is a senior and well-remunerated role that will give the right candidate an excellent mix of challenge, motivation and fulfilment.
Key duties and responsibilities
Reporting directly to the Country Representative, Somaliland, s/he will have the following key duties and responsibilities with the objective of increasing agricultural productivity and marketing:
- Lead the design, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the agricultural development components of our integrated sustainable livelihoods programmes in Somaliland with a strong focus on enhancing marketing opportunities for smallholder farmers.
- By working closely with the Country Representative, relevant colleagues in London, and existing and potential partners, generate new and innovative ideas and lead the design of the agricultural development components of new large-scale integrated livelihoods programmes.
- While respecting their autonomy and independence, effectively engage with, support and monitor partner agencies who may have the primary role of implementing the programmes.
- Assess the capacity of partner implementing agencies, farmers’ cooperatives and other community-based groups, and design and implement appropriate capacity building plans.
- Monitor legislations, policies and regulations affecting the agriculture sector, esp. livestock and cash and food crop production and trade, and formation and registration of farmers cooperatives and other groups – develop comprehensive guidelines, including limitations and opportunities, and ensure programme personnel and relevant stakeholders are fully updated.
- Lead the development and implementation of appropriate strategies and initiatives to organise farmers into cooperatives and other groups in close coordination with other stakeholders.
- Develop a sustainable business promotion strategy for cooperatives and other groups through a series of meetings with key stakeholders with a focus on maximising profits in the value chain.
- Provide overall technical leadership and direction for programme activities aimed at significantly increasing the productivity of livestock and crop production by smallholder farmers.
- Provide overall technical leadership and direction for programme activities directed at increasing market and processing opportunities with a view to maximising farmers’ income.
- Participate in the ongoing and systematic monitoring of programmes to assess progress against objectives, to continuously learn, and to take timely corrective actions, if necessary.
- Organise learning and experience sharing forums; and commission and/or participate in research that could lead to increased agricultural productivity.
- Under the administrative guidance of the Country Representative, occasionally contribute to the successful design and implementation of the agricultural development components of integrated livelihoods programmes in the wider region, esp. in areas of your highest expertise.
Required qualities and skills
- Postgraduate qualification in agriculture related disciplines.
- Minimum five years’ experience in developing and managing agricultural development programmes
- A high level of technical expertise in at least two of the following: farmers’ organisations, agricultural marketing, and agricultural (livestock and crops) production and management.
- Familiarity with the rural cultural, social and traditional contexts of Somaliland.
- Team work that builds on colleagues’ knowledge and expertise to maximise learning, enhance programme teams’ skills and confidence and improve the quality of programming.
- High level of interpersonal skills with the ability to work across organisations with strong communication and listening abilities and good problem solving approach.
- Good understanding of financial requirements of the programme and ability to prepare and manage budgets.
- A self-starter with initiative and the ability to work alone when necessary.
- Ability to be creative and innovative in generating new ideas and putting them into practice.
- Experience in participatory programme development approaches and techniques.
- Good command of written and spoken English and Somali.
- Proficiency in the use of basic computer applications such as MS Office, the internet, email and other relevant software for the position.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Passion for African agricultural development and smallholder farmers’ economic self-reliance.
- Ability and willingness to travel often in country and occasionally to other countries in the region
Please send to email@example.com
- Your CV
- A covering letter briefly outlining how you meet the key duties and responsibilities and the required qualities and skills, when appropriate with evidence (maximum 1,000 words).
- A statement briefly summarising how you will go about facilitating the formation and strengthening of farmers cooperatives in the context of Somaliland (maximum 500 words).
- Your current or last benefit package and expected benefit package for this position.
- Deadline for submission of applications is Tuesday, 1 May 2018.