Deputy Area Representative – Program ImplementationPOSITION TITLE| XILKA LA RAADINAYO:
|Deputy Area Representative – Program Implementation|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Operations, Central Somalia||LOCATION: Beledweyn|
|GRADE: Executive||POST TYPE: National|
Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
To assume overall responsibility for development, management and delivery of quality programmes in central Somalia regions. S/he will work through Field office managers and program teams based in Beledweyn, Mataban, Mahas, Adado and Abudwak to ensure all aspects of programming are coordinated resulting in efficiency, high team moral and cost effectiveness. S/he will ensure programmes implement key humanitarian principles and that we work in close collaboration with other key stakeholders and the government to promote and advocate for children’s rights. The post-holder is also required to liaise closely with staff, other NGOs and government institutions to ensure safety and security of Save the Children staff and assets.
The deputy Area Representative – central Somalia must recognise that s/he is working in a large and complex country programme that operates through a matrix management system. The direct reporting line is through the Programme Operations section; however, close working relationships are essential with the Programme Development & Quality, Finance, HR and Award sections
|SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Area Representative for Central & Southern Somalia
Dimensions: Save the Children works in most regions in Somalia/land with a current staff complement of approximately 450 staff and current expenditure of approximately USD 45 million each year.
Staff directly reporting to this post: Directly line manages field coordinators, support service staff and program managers
|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Program Development, Implementation and Delivery
· Lead on development and implementation of participatory and consultative Programme Operations Plan in line with CSS and the Country Annual Plan.
· Implement a robust project monitoring system that allows for timely evidence gathering, management action and organisational learnings in quality programme management.
· Ensure that effective mechanisms are in place to listen to, act upon and address children’s and communities’ concerns/recommendations through active participation by children and communities in project design, monitoring and evaluations
People Management and Development
· Work closely with the HR and Admin Coordinator in Mogadishu as well as HR & Admin Director to ensure that all HR policies and guidelines for national staff are in place, are understood by all staff and are adhered to. Support all managers in recruitment, induction, placement, promotion, training/development and separation/termination
· Enhance staff performance through mutually agreed performance management plans, clarity of individual and collective roles and responsibilities; ensure a robust process of performance monitoring, learning & development initiatives and timely management actions.
· Represent staff concerns that cannot be dealt with locally, in a timely manner to the Area Representative, HR coordinator and HR Director.
· Promote an inspiring and motivating working environment through teamwork, delegation and the team building initiatives.
· Promote and ensure a culture that respects and promotes collaboration, diversity, inclusion and staff recognition.
Financial, Budget and Grant Management
· Efficiently and successfully manage the grant cycle by putting in place robust mechanisms to start, implement and close grants in line with donor as well as Save the Children’s policies
· Ensure that programme budgets are managed through rigorous budget and finance monitoring practices with participation of all key functions involved in projects.
· Oversee the general application and observance of financial procedures and guidelines set out in SC financial manual and donors’ requirements
· Ensure that budgets are spent and charged to their respective budget heads and grants by diligently reviewing the financial reports at least every month and bringing to the timely attention of the AR for CSS, Director of Operations and the Finance Director any major budget concerns and suggestions/recommendations
· Ensure that adequate support to and monitoring of the field finance teams is provided by the finance and grants team at head office
· Ensure that grants are managed as per Save the Children’s and donors’ requirements including the quality and timely submission of reports
Partnership management and Development
· Identify and continuously work with appropriate partners within Hir-Shabele and Galmudug regions through whom Save the Children can impact in the rights of children at scale.
· Establish a quality partnership management environment through mutual respect and trust, robust partnership assessments, capacity building, project monitoring, knowledge sharing and networking by drawing support from technical resources from within the country programme.
· Ensure that all Save the Children’s partners in your area of operation are fully compliant to donor guidelines and requirements
· Ensure that partners understand and implement Save the Children’s policies and procedures including child safeguarding, procurement, fraud and whistle blowing.
· Ensure that standardised systems, in line with the Country Programme policies, procedures and guidelines in the areas of logistics, finance and HR are in place, well understood and adhered to by all staff
· Ensure that minimum logistics/financial/administrative standards and country policies are implemented
· Ensure that project management tools are put in place and used by relevant managers (Implementation plans, procurement plan, spending plans, phased budgets, monitoring plans, etc…)
· Ensure that staff have operational and capacity development support within their operating environment
· Ensure the strict adherence of the team in the operational areas to the basic humanitarian principles at all times: neutrality, impartiality and independence while delivering programmes for children
Representation and Advocacy
· Represent Save the Children at sub-area level, network with INGOs/NGOs and other stakeholders and regional states.
· Continuously and proactively engage in strategic analysis of evidence and document and implement learnings for quality improvement in programme strategies for children.
· Identify, establish and maintain close working relationship with key stakeholders particularly the government in furtherance of children’s rights
· Ensure appropriate representation in all relevant meetings: clusters, working groups, NGO Consortium, etc.
Security and Context Monitoring
· In close collaboration with the Security manager for CSS, the Director of Security, the Field office coordinators and the Security Focal Points, proactively monitor the political and security situation at both national and local level and ensure that a clear and updated security management plan is in place for all areas of operations in Puntland.
· As far as possible ensure that all staff are involved in the sharing of security related information, review of guidelines, protocols and developing security plans that should be formally reviewed on a weekly basis.
· In close collaboration with the security managers and the director of Security, the Field coordinators and the Security Focal Points, report and manage any significant security incident in your area of operation. If this involves a “critical incident” the Director of Security, the Operations Director and the CD must be informed immediately.
· Adapt to security constraints and ensure that staff are adequately aware of security risks and management issues in order to deliver projects for children.
|QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
|Date: January 2017 Author: SCI|