Fisheries SpecialistPOSITION TITLE| XILKA LA RAADINAYO:
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
|Title:Fisheries Specialist – 1 position||Location:Hargeisa, with travels to Garowe, Bosaso, and other locations||Duration:1 year(Renewable)|
Growth, Enterprise, Employment & Livelihoods (GEEL) is 5-year USAID-funded project designed to promote and facilitate inclusive economic growth inPuntland, Somaliland and other existing and emerging federal states. The project is currently focusing on the agricultural sector, fisheries and renewable energy. It will also seek to strengthen the business enabling environment through improving access to finance, policy and regulation, and business development services. Particular focus will be given to increase the participation of women and youth in the economy as entrepreneurs, employers, and employees.
The Fisheries Specialist will be responsible for assisting the Fisheries Team Leader to implement GEEL’s fisheries sector activities in accordance with GEEL’s annual work plans, in order to achieve GEEL’s contractual deliverables and indicator targets. H/she will engage with private sector enterprises, potential investors, cooperatives, women’s groups and government representatives with the overall goal of increasing investment, productivity and employment in the sector. Emphasis will be given to monitoring and sustainable management of fish stocks, particularly through the implementation of international fisheries management obligations
The Fisheries Specialist position is included in the GEEL organigram, and fisheries activities in the annual work plans. It is widely acknowledged that fisheries have a key role to play in expanding sustainable employment, enterprise and livelihoods in Somalia and Somaliland. The sector is also ripe for the introduction of new renewable energy technologies and investment – other key GEEL goals.
The growing portfolio of fisheries projects within GEEL necessitates the Team Leader being assisted with specialist support.
The Fisheries Specialist will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Assist the Team Leader to implement fisheries sector activities according to annual work plans;
- Work closely and Coordinate with program activities in Garowe and Hargeisa, ensure good working relationship with both regional offices.
- Develop close working relationships with key sector stakeholders to create new market linkages and export networks, ensuring interventions in the fisheries sector increase gender equity;
- Be first point of contact at GEEL withrelevant government ministries, fishing companies, cooperatives and others ensure their inclusion into the broader fisheries sector work undertaken by GEEL;
- Manageand support short term consultants and local personnel that may be recruited to GEEL to work on fisheries sector activities;
- As directed by the Fisheries Team Leader, represent GEEL amongthe various stakeholders engaged in the fisheries sector, including fisherfolk, processors, associations, exporters, researchers, government, and donors with similar projects;
- Design and implement competitiveness events related to the fisheries sector in close collaboration with the Agricultural Value Chain Team Leader, DCOP and Investment Advisor;
- Identify and evaluate key businesses or business proposals that will receive mentoring and technical support from GEEL;
- Review grant and investment applications from fisheries sector applicants and advise on their feasibility for in-kind assistance and others support to be provided;
- Work closely with GEEL’s financial services, renewable and cold chain experts and other experts in delivering various assistance and support to the fisheries stakeholder
- Detailed liaison and briefings; as may be requested; on fisheries issues by COP and USAID;
- Any other tasks that may be allotted to the post by the Fisheries Team Leader, DCOP or COP.
The Fisheries Specialist will report directly to the Fisheries Team Leader or designee.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree required in relevant field. Master’s preferred or equivalent combination of education and work experience in a relevant competency area, including Environmental management, Agriculture, Natural resource management, Natural science, Environmental science, or other relevant field;
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in the marine and fisheries sector, preferably with an INGO, the private sector, or a government agency.
- Experience with fisheries cold storage facilities and cold chain development, and IUU fishing valuable;
Experience working within Somali organizations; Government, INGO or fishing companies
Other skills required
- Detail-oriented with the ability to multitask, organize, and work productively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment;
- Demonstrated experience managing or implementing projects in Somaliland and Somalia or surrounding areas highly preferred;
- Excellent oral and written English and Somali language skills;
- Honest and trustworthy;
- Ability to work independently and as part of team;
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (PowerPoint, Word & Excel);
- Well-organized and able to perform effectively within tight deadlines;
- Hard-working, self-motivated and possessing a positive attitude;
- Willingness and/or ability to travel throughout Somalia;
- Ability to interact with various local media outlets and government stakeholders on behalf of the project.
How to apply:
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements can submit updated CV to Jobs@sogeel.org with subject line specifically indicating: Application for Fisheries Specialist – Somaliland/Puntland.
Deadlineby 30th September 2017