Gender and Protection OfficerPOSITION TITLE| XILKA LA RAADINAYO:
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Gender and Protection Officer
Based: Hargeisa, Somaliland with frequent travel to field (70%)
Duration: 1 year
Oxfam is convinced that people have the power to end poverty. All they need is an opportunity. Oxfam is committed to make sure everyone gets that chance. That is why we support local projects in developing countries, why we lobby governments and companies to listen to the poorest people, and why we campaign to involve both men and women in our work. Oxfam is a confederation of 17 organizations that works together to increase the impact of its long term development and humanitarian responses.
Oxfam Novib is looking for an outstanding candidate to expand our programme for Drought Response in Somaliland.
Ensure that Protection and Gender is integrated into Oxfam’s humanitarian programmes (WASH and EFSL), and act as a resource person to support those programmes to promote protection and gender mainstreaming (including safe programming), gender equality, safety and dignity of women, men, boys, girls, IDPs and the host communities members.
- Actively participate in needs assessments, post distribution monitoring and field visit.
- Support the humanitarian team in context analyses, providing and maintaining a Protection and Gender Analysis in target areas to inform programming .
- Support the development of proposals to incorporate Protection and Gender concerns and aspects
- Plan, implement and carry out activities and report on any specific Protection and Gender activities which are required and necessary.
- Conduct capacity building activities to partner on Protection and Gender including safe programming, gender mainstreaming (including gender in emergency), protection mainstreaming.
- Support technical teams to put in place and maintain risk analyses linked to specific project activities, ensuring that protection concerns are taken into account in project implementation.
- Develop a checklist for safe programming, protection and gender mainstreaming in collaboration with Oxfam programming team and partner staff.
- Carry out regular focus group discussions and individual interview with community structures (cash selection committee, community health mobilisers etc), women, men, girls, boys and people with special needs to ensure that protection and gender concerns within the target communities and linked to Oxfam’s activities are raised and addressed.
- Support WASH, EFSL and MEAL teams to ensure that target women, men, girls, boys and people with special needs understand Oxfam’s work and mission and know how to give feedback and make complaints.
- In coordination with the Humanitarian Programme Manager, act as focal point for coordination working group on Protection in Hargeisa.
- Provide regular reports on protection and gender both within the target communities and related to Oxfam’s work for inclusion in (sitreps) monthly reports and other reports.
- Build the capacity of and accompany Oxfam’s teams on Protection, Gender in Emegency, the SPHERE Protection Principles and safe programming, ensuring that they take protection and gender concerns into account in their work with target populations.
- In coordination with WASH and EFSL team including implementing partners, provide sensitization activities to beneficiaries related to protection and gender related topics.
- Identify gender and protection issues that can be linked to displacement campaign and/or under the Oxfam Rights in Crises campaign.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- A good understanding of fundamental human rights and humanitarian principles.
- Experience in implementation of humanitarian project management cycle.
- At least 2 year experience in humanitarian protection, gender (and Gender in Emergency) and SGBV.
- Experience in capacity building, awareness raising and community mobilisation.
- Understanding of and experience in carrying out participatory assessments, including facilitation of focus group discussions and individual interviews.
- Capacity to critically analyse and share protection issues and project activities.
- Strong ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Capable of representing Oxfam and developing solid and effective working relationships with other partners and local government.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s values, including promotion of equality and gender.
- Understanding of local and Somaliland context, cultures, languages and customs.
- An understanding of the Somaliland drought issues and issues affecting internally displaced population and host communities in Somaliland.
- Experience on strong monitoring is highly desirable.
- Previous experience in working Sool and Sanaag is an asset
- Experience in disaster risk reduction is desirable.
Please send your application to Somaliajobs@oxfamnovib.nl and include your motivation letter and CV. Your application must be received by 29thJune 2017 at the latest. Please make sure the job title in the mail subject line is clear Ref: GPO/07/SOM/17.
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.