Geographic Information System (GIS) SpecialistPOSITION TITLE| XILKA LA RAADINAYO:
|Title:GIS Specialist – 1 position||Location:Mogadishu, Somalia||Duration:1 year(Renewable)|
Growth, Enterprise, Employment & Livelihoods (GEEL) is 5-year USAID-funded project designed to promote and facilitate inclusive economic growth in south central Somalia, Puntland and Somaliland. The project is currently focusing on the agricultural sector (dairy, fisheries, sesame and banana) but is anticipated to expand in the future into other sectors of the economy. It will also seek to strengthen the business enabling environment through improving access to finance, policy and regulation, and business development services. Focus will be given to increase the participation of women and youth in the economy as entrepreneurs, employers, and employees.
The Geographic Information System (GIS) Specialist is responsible for managing and coordinating GIS activities within the program. These activities include but are not limited to updating the project GIS database by regularly entering GIS information in a timely manner; coordinate GIS data collection process in collaboration with M&E and other technical staff; create analytical maps based on GIS data collected to pinpoint project locations and analysis on progress of project activities. Maps will be created for each value chain or sector in each region of Somalia to cartographically pinpoint project stakeholders, and other donor/implementing partner interventions (as a primary element of project cluster and intervention mapping). The GIS maps will be used to illustrate project activities and later, as activities are undertaken the data collected will be used to illustrate project results.
GIS is a critical component of GEEL monitoring and evaluation system. The GIS system will enable the project to overlay project data with third party open source climate, administrative and topographical data. Discrete geographic coordinates (latitudes and longitudes) will help identify and cross-reference locations or facilities where activities and outcomes will be measured.
GIS data will also help to locate project activities in relationship to population densities, road networks, and other features that may be available. GPS information will also be used for project management and decision-making purposes, and also to support collaborating, learning and adapting activities.
The GIS Specialist will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Coordinate project-wide efforts for GIS data collection;
- Regularly update GIS database with GPS data of GEEL project activities using a uniform format;
- Generate and produce analytical maps for each value chain/sector;
- Perform analyses using third party open source data;
- Regularly update and upload open source data to online GIS database and application. Data to be collected and uploaded may include administrative boundaries, population data, roads, rivers, climatic zones, historical rainfall estimates, evapotranspiration, drainage basins, river levels, water sources, barrages, primary and secondary canals, land use, land suitability, land cover, etc.;
- Perform any other GIS task as may be assigned.
The GIS Specialist will report to the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Specialist.
- Bachelor’s Degree in GIS, Computer Science, MIS, Business Administration or similar subject area. Significant relevant experience may be used in lieu of an academic qualification.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in collecting GIS information, and creating, populating and analyzing GIS maps;
- Experience with a wide range of GIS applications, preferred;
- Experience in creating, populating and analyzing GIS maps in agriculture or for development;
- Familiarity with, and access to, a wide range of datasets that may be relevant or of use to GEEL
Other skills required
- Good oral and written English language skills;
- Experience in training others;
- Ability to present information, analysis, ideas, and positions in a clear and convincing manner to both technical and nontechnical audiences.
How to apply:
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements can submit updated CV to Jobs@sogeel.org with subject line specifically indicating: Application for GIS Specialist –Mogadishu.
Deadlineby 27th September 2017