Hygiene PromoterPOSITION TITLE| XILKA LA RAADINAYO:
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
POSITION TITLE:Hygiene Promoter DATE: November 9th, 2017
BASE: BURAO, SOMALILAND RESPONSIBLE TO:Wash Officer
COUNTRY PROGRAM: ARC Somalia/Somaliland STATUS: Full Time
SUPERVISORY CAPACITY: 1
DEPARTMENT/COUNTRY PROGRAM DESCRIPTION/MISSION
|ARC International is an entrepreneurial humanitarian and development organization that assists displaced people to move from vulnerability to resilience, from impoverishment to a basic level of well-being, and from exclusion to inclusion.
The overall objective of ARC International’s Somalia/Somaliland program is to broaden opportunities for disadvantaged communities in (particularly women and youth) to pursue a secure and sustainable livelihood; create an environment that enables social and economic re-integration of Somali youth into society through technical, vocational and leadership skills development that enables young people to secure gainful employment; sustainably rehabilitate through social transformation and economic empowerment; respond to recurring emergencies and help build resiliency of communities through strengthening of existing social services such as health and water facilities/structures and support creation of durable solutions for returnees to Somalia through a set of integrated activities aimed at socio-economic reintegration into their country and communities of origin.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
|The main purpose of the position is to work with the affected community to implement the hygiene promotion aspect of WASH by mobilizing them (communities) to participate in the programme. The holder of the position will work directly with the IDPs/host community and will lead them in interpretation of promotion materials, training and practice.|
|· Promoting safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services with the aim of reducing WASH related risks.
· Liaise with community leaders and other sectors and agencies working locally in order to coordinate within the WASH sector and between sectors such as health and protection.
· Help identify needs for non-food items relevant to hygiene, participate in the choice of items, targeting strategy, promotion of effective use and post-distribution monitoring and reporting.
· Implement a Hygiene promotion programme that ensures links with the provision of water and sanitation facilities and inputs.
· Participation and facilitation of participatory tools at IDP/host community level including the Rural Rapid assessment (RRA) as well as (PRA), PHAST and CHAST in schools.
· Conduct and facilitate the Pre and Post KAP surveys in IDPs/host community
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
|· Knowledge of one or more of the following: public health, health or hygiene promotion, community development, education, community water supply and sanitation. At least two years of practical experience in the country concerned in relevant community development, health, WASH or similar programmes.
· Good knowledge and experience of working with local partner agencies.
· Experience and understanding of hygiene promotion and community mobilization in relation to water and sanitation activities.
· Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of different sectors of a community.
· Familiarity with the culture of the affected population, ability to develop respect from a wide range of people and strong ability to communicate effectively on hygiene matters.
· Fluency in the language of the affected population and ability to communicate in the international language used in the humanitarian operation. (English)
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES
Application letter and copies of relevant academic and technical qualifications should be sent to:SMJobs@arcrelief.orgnot later than 7thDecember 2017.
NB: Please state on the Subject line of the e-mail: Hygiene Promoter