Project Assistant- Hygiene Promotion Assistant/WASH TeamPOSITION TITLE| XILKA LA RAADINAYO:
For over 90 years, Save the Children has been making a difference in children’s lives in more than 120 countries. We are the world’s largest independent child rights organization. From emergency relief to long- term development, Save the Children secures a child’s right to health, education and protection. Save the Children is an equal opportunity organization dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity. We are looking to recruit for this position to be based in Hargeisa, Somaliland
Project Assistant- Hygiene Promotion Assistant/WASH Team
Please refer the below Job Description for the position description and the key selection criteria.
|JOB TITLE: Hygiene Promotion Assistant|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Hygiene Promotion Assistant/WASH Team||LOCATION: Borama, Somaliland with frequent travel to all project sites|
|GRADE: 6||TYPE OF CONTRACT: National|
|CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people|
To contribute to Save the Children’s capacity to meet its drought response, integrated Lifesaving Assistance for drought and conflict-affected populations and child survival objectives in Somaliland, Through the provision of quality water and sanitation programmes in emergencies. The role will specifically address emergency water and sanitation, temporary construction or rehabilitation needs through assessment, programme design, management, capacity building and evaluation.
The role exists to: assist in implementing direct emergency hygiene promotion and sanitation OFDA and other programmes; build capacities of hygiene promotion assistants, volunteers; and support hygiene promotion activities for Save the Children’s core programme sectors of health, education, FSL, child protection and hunger reduction where required to save lives, alleviate suffering and maintain human dignity in communities experiencing humanitarian crisis or that are food insecure
| SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: WASH Coordinator/Project Manager
Dimensions: Save the Children works in 4 regions in Somalia with a current staff complement of approximately 450 staff and current expenditure of approximately GBP 30 million each year.
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Precise objectives will vary between assignments. The core areas that the position holder will be expected to deliver on are as follows:
· To manage community outreach activities and guarantee the efficient and effective sensitization, mobilization and participation of the communities targeted, thereby maximizing OFDA Programme performance.
· Working closely with the Water and Sanitation Engineering team to mobilize communities to support the construction and maintenance of water and sanitation facilities such as water points, latrines and bathing areas
· Working closely with the health, nutrition, FSL, protection and education teams to integrate hygiene promotion programming across the sectors.
· Prepare work plans in particular with focusing water and sanitation needs of the target population.
· Help implement the plan of action for water and sanitation schemes according to the guidelines and schedules
· Arrange, conduct surveys and need assessments, as and when required for the on-going program or future project proposals;
· Identify need of water, establish and maintain contacts with the communities, water committees, Implementing partners, line Govt. departments,
· Train community volunteers and water management groups on operation and maintenance of water and sanitation facilities
· Arrange and facilitate meetings and seminars with communities
|· Organize Hygiene promotion activities through effective media ;
· Keep detailed up to date records for the project activities and water, latrine sites as per the instructions and formats provided by the Project Manager.
· With the Engineer, ensure that latrines are being implemented in accordance with the objectives of the project.
· Keep the Project Manager updated with regard to the security situation in the project implementation area and provide advice as to how to manage our presence in this environment.
· Perform and document regular monitoring of all project sites; planned, on-going and completed.
· Other duties as assigned.
General statements of responsibility
· Perform other related tasks as requested by his/her immediate supervisor.
· Comply with all Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child protection, health and safety, fraud, whistle blowing, equal opportunities and other relevant policies
· Account for SCI’s assets and interests and safeguard from loss arising from fraud, waste, weak administration or poor value for money
· Carry out the responsibilities of the role in a way which reflects Save the Children’s commitment to safeguarding children in accordance the Child Protection Policy.
|SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice) Accountability:
· Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modeling Save the Children values
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
· Creates a managerial environment to lead, enable and maintain our culture of child safeguarding
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
· Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally.
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Cuts away bureaucracy and encourages an entrepreneurial approach
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence
· Displays consistent excellent judgment
|QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE|
- A suitable educational qualification in community health, public health, nursing, social
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience with INGOs in implementing and coordinating hygiene promotion activities, including Programme design, implementation and
- Ability to write clear, well-argued assessment and project reports, and assist in preparing successful funding proposals for donors relevant to hygiene promotion
- Monitoring and evaluation skills including knowledge on KAP surveys
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation
- Excellent communication skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- Commitment to the aims and principles of In particular, a good understanding of the SCUK mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Computer literate
- A moderate level of written and spoken English and good communication skills in Somali
- Experience of and ability to represent SCI work in external meetings.
- Experience of community mobilizations, distributions and hygiene promotion
- Ability to work both in an advisory and a hands on implementation capacity
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible, working away from home, and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Influencing skills and experience in
COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIOURS
Delivering Results (Skilled)
- Delivers timely and appropriate results using available resources
- Takes responsibility for their work and its impact on others
- Plans, prioritizes and performs tasks well without needing direct supervision
- Understands the link between their work and the organization’s objectives
Applying Technical & Professional Expertise (Skilled)
- Delivers work that reflects a good knowledge and application of technical and professional standards
- Keeps up to date with trends in their work area
- Maintains ethical and professional behavior in accordance with relevant codes of conducts
Working Effectively With Others (Skilled)
- Actively listens to new and different perspectives and experiences of those they work with
|· Proactively supports team members and trusts their capabilities
· Demonstrates understanding of their skills and how they complement those of others within diverse teams and groups
· Clarifies their role and responsibilities within the team to maximize impact
Communicating With Impact (Skilled)
· Actively listens and seeks to understand before being understood
· Ensures communications are concise and well-structured
· Shares appropriate relevant and timely information with others
· Prepares effectively for meetings
|CHILD SAFEGUARING POLICY:|
|We work with children, communities and governments all over the world and we believe in the right person for the job regardless of where you come from and how you identify yourself. We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to ensuring that only those who are suitable to work with children are considered for these posts. All successful applicants will therefore be required to complete a Police Check and must sign onto our Child Protection Policy and organizational Code of Conduct.|
|CODE OF CONDUCT
Because Save the Children’s work is based on deeply held values and principles, it is essential that our commitment to children’s rights and humanitarian principles is supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to.
Interested candidates are required to submit electronic CV and mandatory cover letter quoting the Job Title on the subject line. The file name of the CV and attachments must be the applicants name and sent to Somaliland.firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will close on June 30th, 2017 @ 12:00PM.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer. Women are strongly encouraged to apply
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Applications close on June 30th, 2017 @12:00 pm
We work with children, communities and governments all over the world and we believe in the right person for the job regardless of where you come from and how you identify yourself. We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to ensuring that only those who are suitable to work with children are considered for these posts.