PROJECT ENGINEERPOSITION TITLE| XILKA LA RAADINAYO:
CARE INTERNATIONAL IN SOMALIA
|PROJECT ENGINEER – GAROWE, PUNTLAND|
CARE Somalia is an International NGO working in Somalia. CARE and its partners work with vulnerable communities to address the underlying causes of poverty and promote peace and development, through its strategic goal to reduce poverty. In this effort, CARE empowers women, enhances access to resources and services, and improves governance. By doing this, CARE helps to mitigate immediate suffering caused by drought, conflict and displacement. CARE is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position of Project Engineer based in Garowe, Puntland for the Natural Resources Management (NRM) Project.
The Project Engineer under this action will conduct site surveys, assess structures marked for rehabilitation and reinstate them to good working condition, design structures and develop bill of quantities for erosion control structures. Additionally, s/he will take part in the contractor’s selection process for works under this action, supervise contractors to ensure good workmanship as per set standards and specifications and ensure timely completion of construction work. S/he will also train Village Committees in the operation and maintenance of structures to ensure their durability and correct use.
- Conduct site surveys/assessments
- Design structures and develop Bill of Quantities (BOQs)
- Collaborate with key stakeholders for approval of infrastructure location, design and standards
- Supervise contractors in all the sites to ensure professional construction work as per technical specifications
- Monitor project structures and prepare regular progress reports to be submitted to the Project Coordinator
- Maintain a filing system for all site memos and instructions, an electronic library of photos, measured quantities of work, reports, documents and correspondence pertaining to construction activities
- Train Village Committees on the use and maintenance of the erosion structure.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPEREINCES
- University degree preferably in Civil Engineering or Water Engineering
- A minimum of three (3) years of progressive experience in similar capacity with an INGO, UN or Government institution with knowledge in soil and water conservation
- Evidence of excellent project design and civil engineer works. Experience in Somalia, the Horn of Africa and East
African region will be an advantage
- Excellent computer skills, specifically AutoCAD, GIS and GPS
- Ability to prepare and interpret costs estimates
- Knowledge of relevant building regulations, health and safety legislation
- Demonstrated experience of working with community groups and government institutions Proven ability to work and live under difficult conditions
- Excellent communication, training and writing skills
- Somali language is required
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified persons should submit their applications with the subject line clearly marked “Project Engineer – Garowe, Puntland”. An updated CV with a comprehensive summary of similar or comparable work should be attached. It should include three (3) referees and be no more than 4 pages. Complete applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 25th January 2017.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For more information about CARE and its programs, visit www.care.org
CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer, promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.