Re-advert: MEAL SpecialistPOSITION TITLE| XILKA LA RAADINAYO:
Oxfam is convinced that people have the power to end poverty. All they need is an opportunity. Oxfam is committed to make sure everyone gets that chance. That is why we support local projects in developing countries, why we lobby governments and companies to listen to the poorest people, and why we campaign to involve both men and women in our work. Oxfam is a confederation of 17 organizations that works together to increase the impact of its long term development and humanitarian responses.
The Country Office in Somaliland is currently recruiting for a
Fulltime/ 40 hours a week
1 year contract
Based in Hargeisa, Somaliland
Shaping a stronger Oxfam for people living in poverty
TEAM PURPOSE: Leads and Delivers Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) support to Oxfam projects in Somalia / Somaliland
- To ensure the development and implementation of methods and tools for the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) in Oxfam Somalia according to existing Program quality standards
- Building capacity of partners and staff to improve the quality and impact of projects by systematic monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- Design and monitor key MEAL milestones in projects and support the organisation of events to monitor progress and learn.
- Develop and implement a Knowledge management strategy to ensure the whole organisation benefits from and applies program learning
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Development and implementation of MEAL frameworks
- Ensure with partners and staff the development and implementation of monitoring tools, which will include, but not be limited to, data collection, analysis and reporting on project indicators;
- Supporting project staff in developing project MEAL indicators and selection of methods.
- Ensure strong participation of partners and beneficiaries in design and implementation of MEAL strategies, consistent with the Oxfam International MEAL principles and policies.
- Oversee the implementation and compliance/delivery of project team to the country MEAL system.
- Support the Program Baseline study, monitoring reports and evaluation process.
- Develop and disseminate leanings of the project
- Work closely with project Focal Points and partner to ensure appropriate feedback and accountability mechanisms are incorporated into project teams’ and partners’ projects.
Build MEAL capacity in individual country programmes
- Support partners in the design and development of a MEAL system, including recruitment and training of staff.
- Organise relevant training and other capacity-building events for partners
- Provide technical guidance to project teams including partners with planning the design and implementation of baseline/midline and other data requirements to support programme analysis, the development and use of monitoring tools and instruments (e.g., objective/target setting, monitoring formats, etc.), as well reporting of programme progress.
Strengthen relevant MEAL capacity in partners
- To ensure effective common understanding between Oxfam and partners on the MEAL objectives and framework of project organise orientation/workshop
- Assist project leads/responsible persons in identifying relevant gaps in MEAL strategies of partners
- Provide training to partner organizations on tools and methods for MEAL, including the assessment and mini-research, community participation and gender integration and accountability
- Organize Peer Learning meeting to share programme strategies and best practices including Gender, Accountability and Stakeholders Participation aspects
Organisation of MEAL milestones, events and processes
- Conduct annual reviews and reflection sessions based on exisitng MEAL frameworks
- Contribute project learning review by preparing, disseminating and analysing data, lessons learnt, good practices and statistical, qualitative and anecdotal evidences derived from project.
- Facilitate the design, planning and conduct of evaluations and key impact assessment exercises on programmatic, thematic, geographic or crosscutting themes under the project
- Conduct of key thematic learning activities and processes for staff and partners.
Reporting, sharing and communications
- Lead in the conduct and dissemination of literature reviews, secondary data analysis and synthesis for papers, proposals and representations, as appropriate
- Lead in the collection of positive impact stories and photos from projects and prepare them to be used for shared learning.
- Support the project manager in the reporting function and ensure that reporting and other donor requirements are met in line with Oxfam and donor agreements.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- Minimum of 5 years experience and demonstrable skills in MEAL in humanitarian and development projects and / or campaigns.
- Minimum education of a Bachelors degree in Statistics, Social science or relevant discipline
- Good understanding of the country context in Somaliland and / or Puntland.
- Strong analytical skills with knowledge and understanding on development / humanitarian issues
- Good critical thinking and clear understanding about the monitoring frameworks, tools and indicator setting
- Experience with evidence-based monitoring and evaluation frameworks and programmes, with emphasis on participatory and partnership-based MEAL approaches
- Familiarity with project cycle management, monitoring and evaluation
- Experience in the organisation, conduct and management of various capacity-building, training and reflection sessions.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and good report-writing skills
- Organised and able to manage own time under guidance and direction of the line-manager
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and beliefs, including strong commitment to gender, diversity issues, equal opportunities and capacity building
- Strong interpersonal and self-awareness skills
- Ability and willingness to undertake extensive travel in country
- Well-developed conceptual, critical, analytical thinking and planning skills.
- Demonstrates ability to take Initiative, drive to achieve results.
- Demonstrable understanding and experience of gender equity issues and their relevance to humanitarian response work.
- Ability to work effectively with others, adaptable and flexible.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work sensitively with people from various cultural and social backgrounds.
Please send your application to Somaliajobs@oxfamnovib.nl and include your motivation letter and CV. Insert the job tile on the subject of your application. Your application must be received by Thursday 24th September 2017 at the latest. Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
Female applicants are encouraged to apply.Advertisement