UNDP Somalia is comprised of 3 main programs, Governance and Rule of Law, and Poverty Reduction and Environment Protection Program, Capacity Development Unit and 2 cross cutting programs, HIV & AIDS, and Gender. The Partnerships and Planning Unit (PPU) is a central unit within UNDP Somalia that supports effective and efficient program delivery in Somalia. PPU contributes to partnership management and communication both as it relates to donors and UN strategic processes; strategic planning in support of key office wide priorities, M&E and quality assurance for programme cycle ensuring overall consistency with corporate standards, policies and procedures.
To ensure effective and efficient delivery of development programs in Somalia, UNDP established two Area Offices in Hargeisa and Garowe. Under the overall guidance of the Head of Sub Office and Assistant Country Director, the Field M&E Specialist will report primarily to the Sub Office Programme Specialist, with matrix reporting to the CO M&E Specialist. The incumbent will form a part of the core Sub Office program team, which provides support in all areas, will focus on providing high quality advisory services, training and on the job mentoring. While quality assurance remains a core programmatic function, PPU and Sub Office program teams will ensure overall consistency with corporate standards, policies and procedures.
The M&E Analyst works under the direct supervision of the Head of Area Office and M&E Specialist as part of the Partnerships and Planning Unit (PPU). In addition, the M&E Analyst will work closely with Programme and Project teams in Nairobi and the Sub Offices, and Government officials to ensure that thematic, programme and project monitoring and evaluations are carried out according to schedules and that findings and recommendations are implemented and followed up.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of the Country Office M&E framework including policies and procedures
- Management of the monitoring and evaluation process
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing on monitoring and evaluation
Ensures the implementation of M&E policies and procedures at field level, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Actively contribute to the implementation of CO M&E Framework
- Prepare terms of engagement for M&E missions at outcome level or process level to be undertaken by third parties
- Facilitate, in partnership with the Nairobi based M&E Specialist, on qualitative monitoring procedure
- Work closely with program and project teams in the development and implementation of monitoring plans
- Liaise with evaluation teams on outcome and process level evaluations
- Support the ongoing process of work planning and review procedures
- Support and coordinate Outcome level monitoring at Programme level
- Support the M&E Specialist in corporate results reporting and measurement with timely and effective coordination with project/programme teams.
Ensures effective management of the M&E process in the Sub Office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide methodological support to program and project units during the formulation, approval and implementation of M&E procedures and instruments
- Develop and ensure performance improvement through the development of data collection tools and instruments in line with the M&E Framework
- Ensure program and project unit implementation of the M&E system e.g. measuring of indicators
- Ensure ‘value-for-money’ monitoring, including tracking of resources towards outcomes
- Provide functional training to program and project staff in sub-offices in Somalia, in addition to offering capacity support to partners where viable
- Provide support to donor reporting to ensure that reports cover outcome indicators and strategic information on results of interventions
- Work closely with program and project teams in the Sub Offices and Government officials to ensure that thematic, program and project monitoring and evaluations are carried out according to schedules and those findings and recommendations are implemented and followed up
- Support projects in the development of evidence-based baselines and output monitoring.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the area of M&E, particularly at the sub office level, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Facilitate qualitative monitoring with associated analysis of attribution / contribution
- Orient and train SO staff in understanding and applying M&E policies, tools & methods
- Review reports submitted by projects / program, analyze results / lessons learned, research inputs and provide strategies for development of information
- Undertake regular field visits to ensure compliance and timely execution of planned M&E
- Participation in inter agency and donor meetings if required.
Ensure the coordination and implementation of Third Party Monitoring and HACT spot-checks in light of guidance provided by M&E Specialist:
- Coordinate the third party monitoring by coordinating with projects and programme staff.
- Implement and update the CO Assurance Plan
- Document, analyze and interpret the results from the Third Party Monitoring and HACT spot checks.
Support the Head of Area Office in:
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned.
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions.
- Development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall effectiveness and success of UNDP’s interventions and activities in achieving the country’s development and the MDG’s. Effective implementation of evaluation policies and strategies, as well as efficient management of the monitoring and evaluation process, enhances the organization’s capacity and credibility in implementation of highly effective programs with strong impact.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
- Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
- Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
- Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Develops a database of project profiles. Identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
- Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Identifies and takes advantage of opportunities for advocating for UNDP’s mandate
- Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters Degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science, Economics or any related field with 2 years of relevant experience.
- A first level university degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science, Economics or any related field with a combination of 4 years’ of work experience in Project Management and Monitoring & Evaluation may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
- Proven work experience in project / program management and / or monitoring and evaluation
- Field experience preferably in post conflict environments, coupled with strong substantive knowledge of Monitoring and Evaluation tools in particular, results based management is a requirement
- Substantive knowledge in development issues in general and UNDP’s practice areas is desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (Ms. Word, Excel, etc.) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Fluency in written and oral English and Somali required.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidates who applied before need to re-apply if interested.