TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR FINAL EVALUATION FOR THE PROJECT: Enhancing Youth Self-employment Project and access to Decent Work in Burao, Togdheer RegionPOSITION TITLE| XILKA LA RAADINAYO:
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
SOMALILAND YOUTH SOCIETY
ENHANCING YOUTH SELF-EMPLOYMENT AND ACCESS TO DECENT WORK IN BURAO TOGDHEER REGION
TERMS OF REFERENCE
FINAL EVALUATION FOR THE PROJECT: Enhancing Youth Self-employment Project and access to Decent Work in Burao, Togdheer Region.
TheInternationalSolidarityFoundation(ISF)isaFinnishnon-governmentaldevelopmentcooperationorganizationestablishedin1970.AccordingtoISF’sStrategy for2012–2016,ISF’smissionistosupportdevelopmentthatstrengthensdemocracy,equalityandhumanrightsinternationallyandtochallengepeopleinFinlandto worktobuildanequitableworld.
ISF’smostimportantvaluesaresolidarity,equality,equityandparticipation.ForISFsolidaritymeansstrengtheningtheself-relianceofthepoorestandpromoting theirrights.Asoneof thevalues“solidarity”makesvisibletheconnections,caringandcommunalitythatexistbetweenpeople.“Equity”is perceivedbyISFasthe realizationof people’sequalopportunitiesandhumanrights.In ISF’sview,humanrightsshouldbeunderstoodin thebroadsenseastherightto humanity,health, education,self-determination,developmentandadecentlivelihood.
TheISFDevelopmentCooperationProgramisbasedontheISFdevelopmentvisionaccordingtowhichthepreconditionsformenandwomentolivedecentand happyliveswillhaveimproved.ISF’sdevelopmentcooperationisbasedonthebasicnotionthatallpeoplemusthavetherighttoinfluencethedevelopmentoftheir lifeandtherealizationoftheirrightsregardlessoftheirgenderorwealth.Toimplementthisdevelopmentvision,ISFpromotes(forthebenefitofitsbeneficiaries):
- Somaliland Youth Society (SYS-Burao)
SYS-Burao is a local, youth-led, non-governmental, non-profit making, developmental organization dedicated to the improvement of the quality of life of the Somaliland youth communities through the provision of appropriate livelihoods, education, reproductive health awareness creation, sports /recreational activities, networking, employment creation through viable income generating activities and humanitarian interventions during emergencies are carried out as need arises. The genesis of SYS-Burao dates back to 2001 and even since the organization has been working in above sectors and its interventions reaching the under-served youth and women population. SYS has a presence in the eastern regions of Somaliland with on-going projects aimed at improving the livelihoods of target communities.
In collaboration with international Solidarity Foundation of Finland (ISF) as local partner SYS- Burao is directly implementing project entitled: Enhancing Youth Self-employment Project and access to Decent Work in Burao, Togdheer Region. The project has been started in 2016 The total beneficiaries of this project are seven agro-businesses owned by or created 17 youth graduates from high schools and TVET in Burao District. These project supported 7 different agro-business enterprises with above mentioned direct beneficiaries.
The SYS current strategy is to promote short term and long term resilience building of sustainable urban youth livelihood opportunities through agricultural product marketing.
SYS beliefs that this project could result positive changes in the current situation of widespread youth unemployment, gender disparity problems and agricultural product marketing constraints in Burao. To mitigate youth unemployment problems and improving agricultural product marketing with gender responsive programme qualities by enhancing local initiatives and active involvements of the marketing approaches for the value chain of the high demand products to improve livelihoods and access to decent work.
The goal of the project: To contribute youth employment opportunities through access of agro-businesses enterprises.
The purpose of the project: To uphold and support youth entrepreneurship to access agro-businesses enterprises.
So the partner organisations agreed to undertake a final evaluation of this project aimed to analyse the outcome and success of the project according the results of the project.
In light of the above, SYS-Burao is looking for qualified consultant to carry out final evaluation of this project.
- Purpose & Objective of Consultancy
The purpose of the evaluation is to conduct an in-depth appraisal of the project to enable SYS and other stakeholders learn from evidence-based information about the project and ensure accountability.
- The Objectives of the Consultancy
The main objective of the consultancy is to carry out project final evaluation. Specifically, the evaluation seeks to assess the performance of the project including:
- To assess the level of effectiveness of the project results, purpose and overall objective generated by the project (expected and/or unexpected).
- To assess sustainability of the project effectiveness.
- To assess the efficiencyof the project implementation strategies and activities.
- Make key observations, draw conclusions and make recommendations to inform future interventions.
- Scope of Consultancy
The scope of the evaluation includes a detailed analysis of the project within its implementation context and establishing the extent to which the project has contributed to the urban youth in Burao. Allthedata mustbe disaggregatedbysexandgenderequality mustbeintegratedin theanalysisofallthe questions.
- EFFECTIVENESS – IMPACT AND RESULTS
- To what degree has the project achieved its four results (disaggregated by sex)?
- What were the contributing factors affecting the achievement of the intended results?
- Has the project achieved its purpose?
- Determine if the results contribute to the to the project’s overall objective of supporting youth through livelihood mechanisms in Burao.
- Assess what were the most important changes in the life of beneficiaries generated by the project, including unintended and unplanned changes.
- What kind of impact the personal capacity development and business supports have had on the lives of beneficiaries?
- Has the project had any impact on the beneficiaries’ family members?
- Has there been unintended outcomes that targeted households have experienced as a result of the project intervention?
- What is the current level of financial sustainability of established agro-business enterprises?
- How sustainable are the changes in the life of beneficiaries? What are the main contributing factors for positive or negative result sustainability?
- What are the prospects of SYS to continue supporting youth entrepreneurship in Somaliland?
- Has the capacity of SYS in Burao offices been developed in order to gain sustainable continuation of SYS work?
- Do the impact/results of the project respond to the need of the beneficiaries?
- Do the activities of the project respond to the need of the beneficiaries?
- Do the beneficiaries of the project feel the training has been useful for them?
- Have the differences between women’s and men’s needs and opinions about their owndevelopment been taking into consideration in the projects?
- Has the use of human and economic resources been efficient in relation to the achievements?
- Was the quality of operational management efficient?
- Were there any external factors that affected the project successes?
5. Proposed Methodologies & Tools
The evaluation will combine desk review of programme documentation and primary research to be conducted the agri-business enterprises. Á combination of appropriate quantitative and qualitative Methods of data collection and analysis should be emphasized: The key methods are described below.
- Desk review of the project documents and literature: Review, as necessary, of archived material related to the project, as well as background material used in project preparation, progress reports, annual reports, activity plans, annual plans, monitoring plans and previous studies and assessment report, and other information available to analyse all the relevant data to the project and its beneficiaries. Stories/testimonies collected from the beneficiaries by the consultant during the field trip.
- Field visits and interviews: The evaluator should conduct site visits in the project targeted areas to carry out in depth interviews, inspection, and analysis of the project activities through;
- Key In-depth Interview with entrepreneur & staffs – These currently exiting agri-business groups will be separate interviewed to figure out their current situation with a focus on basic information on enterprises. This is project beneficiaries.
- Focus Group Discussions on agribusiness Groups-A semi-structured questionnaire will used to collect agribusiness data on basic information on enterprises. The focus group discussion will be addressed many topics similar to those incorporated into the key in-depth interview questionnaire. The two questionnaires were intended to validate each other and improve accuracy and data quality.
- Direct observation of the conditions of beneficiaries for evidence of project support.
- Photographs of agribusiness centres who have been beneficiaries of this project.
- Documentation of case studies of young women as well as men whose lives have been impacted by the project.
- GOAL shall provide a copy of the project proposal, interim and final project reports plus any other technical documentation deemed essential for effective evaluation of the project:
- The consultant is expected to use diverse methods in obtaining required qualitative and quantitative data. (Using the most significant change methodology or following ISF’s own story collection guide). All archived material related to the project should be reviewed (such as ISF Strategy, ISF Development Program, relevant SYS manuals regarding the assignment and project documentation (e.g. logical frameworks generated for the two project phases
- The stakeholders that should be consulted with this consultancy shall include at least:
- SYS staff and
- Other SYS governor bodies
- A sample of project direct beneficiaries with their respective gender diverse.
- Staff for supported agro-business enterprises
- Parents for agro-business owners supported by the youth livelihood project. .
- Relevant business actors in value chain of the supported enterprises
- ISF representative’s particular Regional Director.
- Description of the Target and Tools
|SN #||Target Category||Approach of Data Collection||Gender Segregation|
|1||Entrepreneur & staffs||Individual Questionnaires||% Women % Men|
|2||Agro-business cooperative and value chain business actors||Focus Group Discussions|
|3||Records & physical assets||Direct observation|
|Parents for agro-business owners||Focus Group Discussions|
|Tools preparation (Questionnaires and methodologies (incl. document review)||1 Day|
|Field work and data collection||3 Days|
|Data analysis and draft report writing||2 Days|
|Total Days||6 Days|
Evaluation Results and Reporting Format
The primary value of the assignment will be final evaluation of this project. The consultant is expected to submit the following deliverables during the assignment:
- Relevant tools and study plan: The consultant shall prepare the study tools and plan before the fieldwork and submit to SYS/ISF for approval.
- Inception Report:The Inception Report will detail the agreed upon methodologies to be employed in the evaluation to achieve the objectives outlined above. The Inception Report should also include the finalised activity plan and a structural outline of the final evaluation report. The inception report should be shared and approved by GOAL before commencement of the data collection and analysis.
- Draft Report:The Draft Report, in addition to addressing the aforementioned consultancy objectives, the report must contain: an introduction including programme summary and purpose of evaluation; a detailed methodology (including limitations); key findings (covering both document review and primary research); recommendations; a conclusion; and, annexes. Annexes should include, at minimum: the consultant’s expression of interest, field sites visited, and a list of key informants.
- Final Report – The soft copy of final report including limitations, findings, conclusions and recommendations and addresses issues raised on the draft report. It should be submitted via email to the relevant programme staff. The final report will be submitted two days after receipt of the feedback.
- SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS OF CONSULTANTS
We are looking for a consultant/team with the following skills and qualifications:
- Universitydegreeinsocial sciences ordevelopmentstudies
- Experience ingender mainstreaming andgender analysis
- Experience indevelopmentand youth livelihood with agricultural product marketing.
- Minimum3-4 yearsprovenexperience in research work
- Provenexperience inevaluationwork
- Technically competent in quantitative and qualitative data analysis and reporting
- Proven track record in conducting similar assessment particularly in the field of marketing or feasibility study will be an added advantage
- Proven track record on social development issues
- Availability to undertake the assignment in December 2017.
- Fluency in written and spoken English, knowledge of Somali is an asset.
- HOW TO APPLY:
The consultant shall submit the technical proposal stating the proposed methodologies, detailed action plan with timelines and duration in days as well as financial proposal indicating the daily rate of consultancy and his/her C.V by email to: Sharmarke.Hussein@solidaarisuus.fi before 8thDec 2017 at 4:00 Pm local time.