Somalia BUILD Project
Job Title: Accountant
Position Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Creative Associates International Inc. is a dynamic and fast-growing professional services firm that specializes in international development in the areas of education, democratic transitions and stabilization in post-conflict environments. Based in Washington, DC, the firm has a field presence in 20 countries worldwide with a strong and diverse portfolio that includes global contracts with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and other clients including the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Defense. The firm has earned a solid reputation among its clients and missions worldwide and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is located in Mogadishu, Somalia. The successful applicant must be a Somalia national and have the right to work in Somalia. No relocation or similar expenses will be paid by Creative Associates.
TheBringing Unity, Integrity and Legitimacy to Democracy (BUILD) project aims to support electoral and political processes in Somalia and Somaliland by fostering increased citizen participation; building the capacity of election management bodies (EMBs) and other relevant government bodies to administer credible elections; and supporting the development of issue-based and viable political parties.
Position Start Date: Immediately
The Accountantwill assist the Finance Manager in developing and managing the project’s financial systems. S/he will work under the supervision of the Finance Manager and will support him/her in all matters related to accounting, financial management, financial reporting, subcontracting. S/he will also assist the Finance Manager in ensuring sufficient funds are available for effective and efficient implementation of project activities and support programs. Specific areas of responsibility include regular accounting/financial report preparation, review and submission to headquarters and cash flow management. Some travel is expected.
REPORTING & SUPERVISION
The Project Accountant reports to the Finance Manager.
Working under the direct supervision of the Finance Manager, the primary responsibilities of the Accountant include, but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for all day to day accounting functions
- Maintain project-related accounting and financial management records, including contracts and change orders
- Report to management regarding the remaining funding available for project activities
- Close out project accounts upon project completion
- Create and submit scheduled and as hoc reports
- Compile information for internal and external auditors, as required
- Ensure compliance with all donor and home office procedures
- Implement systems and ensure proper checks and balances to mitigate potential for fraud or improper use of funds
- Support the development of activity budgets and management of field expenses
- Provide cost projections and submitting requests for funds on a monthly basis
- Verify accounting files
- Assist in monitoring procurement procedures and expenses
- Track and reporting on financial aspects of grants
- Occasional travel to field offices to oversee systems, conduct training, set up systems and accounts, etc.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum relevant Bachelors’ degree or professional accounting/financial qualification is required.
- Minimum three years of accounting experience is required.
- Experience of working with international organizations / NGOs is desirable.
- Competent in computers and using financial software is required.
- Understanding of budget and cost control management is required.
- Ability to work under pressure and efficiently handle multiple tasks is required.
- Ability to work under own initiative or as a part of a team is required.
- Ability and willingness to perform occasional travel within Somalia and the region to meet program goals
- Excellent written and spoken English and Somali required.
This position description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of the position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed appropriate and necessary.
How to apply:
Send electronic submissions of updated resumes & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5 PM on Thursday 27 June, 2019. Please include the Job Title in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.