UNITED NATIONS ASSISTANCE MISSION IN SOMALIA (UNSOM)
UNITED NATIONS CORE VALUES: INTEGRITY, PROFESSIONALISM, RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO SOMALI NATIONALS ONLY AND DOES NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL BENEFITS
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 15 APRIL 2019
DATE OF ISSUANCE: 17 MARCH 2019
FUNCTIONAL TITLE: ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
SECTION: REGIONAL AND LIAISON OFFICE
DURATION OF CONTRACT: ONE (1) YEAR FIXED TERM
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER : UNSOM/RLO/013/2019/SM
This position is based in Dhusamareb and is funded for an initial period of one year and may be subject to extension. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred in relation to this appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
This position is located within the United Nations Assistance Mission in Somalia (UNSOM) and is based in Dhusamareb, under the supervision of the UNSOM Head of Area Office and technical oversight and guidance of international Administrative Assistant.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Within delegated authority, the Administrative Assistant will perform the following responsibilities:
Human Resources Management:
- Performs various actions related to the administration of the work unit’s human resource activities, e.g.,
recruitment, placement, promotion, relocation, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation ofstaff members, training etc., consistently applying UN rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Liaises withcentral administration/executive services as required; Maintains vacancy announcement files and updates trackvacancy announcements;
- Prepares personnel actions through the UN’s current electronic tools, e.g., MIS/Nucleus/Umoja;
- Provides information and advice to staff/consultants with respect to conditions ofservice, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations;
- Monitors assigned staffing tables for a variety of human resource activities, e.g., appointments, retirement,
expiration of appointments, reassignments, transfer and movement of staff.
Budget and Finance:
- Provides assistance in the preparation and development of the office’s work programme and budget;
- Assistsin monitoring the budget/work programme with respect to various budgets, trust funds, grant and other funds ona regular basis, and records reallocations of resources and implements the reallocations as necessary; Collectsdata from relevant databases and assist in preparation of financial reports;
- Reviews and assists in the finalization of cost estimates andbudget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements for the mission including programmatic aspects;
- Monitors budget implementation/expenditures andrecords reallocation of funds as necessary;
- Reviews requisitions for goods and services to confirm (a) that correctobjects code of expenditure have been charged, and (b) availability of funds;
- Assists in the preparation of budget performance submissions;
- Assists in finalization of budgetperformance reports with attention given to variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
- Performs administrative duties such as travel, monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services; reviews physical space plans and assists in the identification of office technology needs, maintenance of equipment, software and systems, leave and attendance recording, arrangements of meetings and other events;
- Provides guidance to the office’s staff on administrative issues in accordance with UN rules and regulations;
- Identifiesand reports issues/problems as they arise, and recommends appropriate actions; coordinates regularly withservice units and liaises as needed with internal team members;
- Prepares and processes administrative requests/documents (e.g., requisitions, purchase orders, travel requests, contracts, expenditure authorizations);
- Maintains a filing system of section correspondence, documents, administrative instructions and other related documents
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning and organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistentwith agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments;adjusts priorities as required;Allocates appropriate amount of time and resourcesfor completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencieswhen planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently
- Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided tobe “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships withclients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them toappropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside theclients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
Education: High school diploma or equivalent is required. Technical training in Finance, Budget, Human Resources Management or Administration is highly desirable.
Experience: A minimum of four(4) years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, budget, accounting, audit, human resources or related area. Solid computer skills including proficiency in word processing and spreadsheets is required. Experience working at a UN field mission or UN Agencies in this capacity is desirable.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English and Somali (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
|Assessment: Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment which will be followed by a competency-based interview.|
Candidates who are not selected, but whose performance in the interview process nevertheless demonstrated them to be suitable for a similar function may be kept on a roster for up to seven years. Candidates placed on the roster may be considered for selection against future vacancies for the same function and level.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History form (P.11) to the address mentioned below on or before the deadline. The P.11 is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs. Applications submitted after the deadline 15April 2019 will not be accepted. Curriculum Vitaes (CVs) will not be accepted.
Please quote, Vacancy Announcement Number and Functional Title in the subject of the e-mail.
Kindly attach a copy of P11 form, Academic Certificates, Passport and or National Identification Card. These are required as part of your application for consideration of eligibility. Please note Criminal Investigation Department (CID) and National Intelligence and Security Agency (NISA) certificates are required at a later stage of the recruitment process.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING)
- Posted by: Somali Jobs Inc
- Company: UNITED NATIONS ASSISTANCE MISSION IN SOMALIA (UNSOM)
- Location: Anywhere
- State: Dhusamareb
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Human Resource & Administration
- Tags: No Tags
3490 total views, 1 today