Administrative Senior Assistant, Mogadishu, Somalia
Administrative Senior Assistant, Mogadishu, Somalia
UNOPS Somalia Country Office (SOCO) has had a solid and continuous in-country expert presence successfully implementing programs since the mid-1990s, where it is currently undertaking various projects and initiatives in close collaboration with the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS), Federal Member States (FMS) and partners from the global donor community. UNOPS’ projects in Somalia focus on several key sectors that include infrastructure development, institutional capacity building, project management, advisory services, and procurement services. These projects cut across multiple sectors, including education, healthcare, national security, law enforcement, immigration services, justice, transport, and public works among others. UNOPS work in Somalia is geared towards driving growth and development in the country, a process that requires developing a close relationship with the FGS and the other development partners. Through its involvement in Somalia’s development process, UNOPS is providing transparent and accountable solutions in the country’s state and nation-building process. In addition, UNOPS is also committed to implementing the United Nations Strategic Framework Somalia 2017 – 2020, with the aim of helping Somalia achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. UNOPS work within the context of these commitments means that the projects it implements in Somalia are specifically designed to provide long-term solutions in the country, leading to sustainable and inclusive growth.
What drives us is a passion to fight inequalities and to provide opportunities to those most vulnerable. This means we often work in the most challenging environments, building foundations for communities to function and people to live with dignity and respect.
To succeed here, he/she need to be able to combine creativity with the organizational skills to manage numerous different projects to tight deadlines simultaneously, as well as working with the different units to meet their expectations.
We are therefore, looking for potentially curious talented Somali citizens with knowledge in Administration and good communication skills with stakeholder focus to join the formidable team. Things happen quickly at UNOPS-SOCO and the work culture encourages you to be an enthusiastic team player – a self-starter who can work cross-functionally and isn’t frightened to take risks or try out new ways of doing things within UNOPS.
Under the direct guidance and supervision of the Head of Support Services, the Administrative Senior Assistant works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the office to provide support to office operations performing a variety of standard administrative processes, ensuring high quality and accuracy of work.
Summary of key Functions
- Administrative Support
- Travel and Logistics
- Inventory, Asset and Supply Management, Custodial, Common Premises
- Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
- Researches and retrieves statistical data from internal and external sources; prepares statistical charts, tables and reports, extracting data from various sources.
- Follows up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to head of unit.
- Provides administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats.
- Compiles information for periodic audits.
- Petty cash management.
Travel and Logistics
- Processes travel transactions (authorizations and claims) including in OneUNOPS system, requests for visas, identity cards and other documents for all personnel, UN officials, and visitors, ensuring compliance with UN rules and regulations.
- Provides information on air services, rates and travel schedules for specific itineraries. Processes travel claims in OneUNOPS and purchase orders for travel activities, payments, and contracts.
- Organizes shipments, customs clearance arrangements, preparation of documents for UNOPS shipments (received/sent), all necessary documentation, and implementation of follow-up actions
- Prepares documentation for security clearances, processes hotel reservations, organizes airport pickups , hospitality, protocol, customs and immigration support for visiting UN/UNDP officials as necessary
- Provides support with respect to protocol issues and requests for official documentation, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Punctual delivery of official protocol certificates; arrangements with UN departments for all issues related to official documentation to be provided to/from international staff, such as visa requirements, work permit, security requirements, health, etc.
- Arrangements with UN departments for official documentation to be provided for import/export or transfer of goods
- Establishment and maintenance of efficient working relationship with government ministries.
- Provision of accurate and comprehensive information to staff on the supporting documents needed by staff and his/her dependents, and import/export or transfer of goods; updated list of the required documents made available to each staff member/unit
- Individual monitoring sheet to track the status of submitted documentation for each staff member and dependents, ensuring that official documentation matches the announced schedule
- Accurate information provided to individual/unit upon request on administrative steps required and the status of his/her project file,
- Accurate and timely information on processes and pending issues to the concerned individuals/unit
- May supervise transportation services including client service, regular vehicle maintenance, insurance, and monitoring of consumption.
- Promptly reports and investigates vehicle accidents, damage, loss or theft of items; update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
- Supervises external contractor for transportation services, including client service and processing of invoices.
- Inventory, Asset Management, Custodial, Common Premises, and general Support.
- Conducts physical inventory checks, drafting periodic inventory and asset reports.
- Acts as a custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution.
- Conducts and reports on surveys of office maintenance needs as well as client satisfaction
- Collects information for administrative surveys in support to the organization of common services.
Knowledge building and Knowledge sharing
- Supports the organization and delivery of training and learning initiatives for personnel on Administration-related topics.
- Provides sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in Administration.
- Contributes feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively
- Maintains unit’s documentation including records and files, ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials
Impact of Results
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Administration Senior Assistant directly affect the overall efficiency of the team’s administrative services, impacting the office’s capacity to efficiently and effectively service the operational needs of the office/programme. Timely and accountable delivery of services, ensures client satisfaction and promotes the image and credibility of the team and office as an effective service provider in project services and management. This enhances UNOPS’ competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services in the country/region served.
- Completion of High school/Secondary school with relevant experience is required.
- First level university degree in Administration, Business Administration, Public Administration or equivalent disciplines is desirable not required.
- In the absence of a first level university degree, administrative certification is an asset.
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant working experience in in general administrative, or operations’ support services in national or international public or corporate organizations is required.
- Possession of some experience in UN system organizations is desirable.
- Experience in computers and office software packages (MS Office) and experience in handling of web-based management systems will be an asset.
- Experience in use of Enterprise systems including OneUNOPS is desirable.
- Fluency in oral and written English Language is required.
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- This is a local position and only Somali citizens are eligible to apply.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The duty station for this position is Mogadishu and it is a non-family station.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Contract type: Local Individual Contract Agreement ( LICA)
- Contract level: LICA-5 /ICS 5
- Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
- For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Based in Copenhagen, Denmark, the Africa Region supports UNOPS country offices in the region, providing financial oversight of projects, procuring goods and services and managing human resources.
AFR helps ensure that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between projects across the entire region.
In Somalia, UNOPS has had a solid and continuous in-country expert presence successfully implementing programmes since the mid-1990s, where it is currently undertaking various projects and initiatives in close collaboration with the Federal Government of Somalia, Federal Member States and partners from the global donor community. UNOPS’ projects in Somalia focus on several key sectors that include infrastructure development, institutional capacity building, project management, advisory services, and procurement services.