Administrative Support Assistant
- Job category: Management/Leadership
- Post date:15 Aug 2019
- Share job:
|Administrative Support Assistant
Ministry of Public work, Reconstruction & Housing
Baidoa, South West State, Somalia
The South West State Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWRH) is the responsible line ministry to deal with Urban Planning, formulating policy and regulations and providing technical support to the national and local governments on public infrastructure and urban management. Its headquarter office is located in Baidoa and the ministry has regional and district level offices across the state. In recent years, the process of rapid urbanization has accelerated in South West State, driven by high natural growth migration, conflict and climate change, causing many challenges to provide for basic urban services and to manage the growth of urban centers. However, state government and local authorities could not cope with most of these challenges adequately. One of the main reasons is the lack of qualified technical personal in the public sector, when it comes to complex urban management and integrated land use planning, as well as the lack of an established set of standards for sustainable urban development and a clear urban planning process.
The Ministry of Public Works Reconstruction and Housing receives technical support for capacity building to fulfil its mandate through the Joint Programme on Local Governance, Somalia Programme which is a joint UN programme comprising of the following agencies: ILO, UNCDF, UNDP, UNICEF, and UN-Habitat.
Major activities of the cooperation between the Ministry and UN-Habitat related to Urban Planning in 2019 are the following:
- Implementation urban planning activities incl. technical trainings for ministerial and district staff related to urban planning and urban management,
- Technical support for MoPW&T to strengthening its capacity in spatial planning (urban profiles and draft master plans),
- Review Baidoa Urban Profile and carry out a town planning exercise in Baidoa
- Support for public awareness related to urban land management.
The administrative Support Assistant will be supported through Cooperation between MoPWRH and UN-Habitat’s Somalia Programme, Regional Office for Africa (ROAF), under JPLG.
The administrative Support Assistant will be working under the overall coordination of the Director General at MoPWRH. She/he will be responsible to manage and coordinate financial and administrative aspects of various projects and capacity development activities linked to urban land management legislation and urban planning.
Due to many cross-cutting issues it is expected that the Capacity Building and Administrative Support Assistant closely collaborates with the other departments of the ministry as well as with district councils and the UN-Habitat National Officer.
The consultancy is linked to the willingness to undertake frequent missions to project districts.
The consultant will be paid upon agreed deliverables (workplan).
- Provide effective financial services;
- Assist in project budget management and reporting;
- Provide support in Capacity Building Activities;
- Financial and Project budget management duties
- Provide accounting support to the project activities and management team while ensuring compliance with the Ministry internal controls, UN-Habitat financial policy and budget restrictions.
- Record accounting transactions including coding of payment vouchers before making payments and ensure an efficient, proper and transparent financial filing system of all documents.
- Prepare and examine accounting records, financial statements and other financial reports and ensure accuracy, completeness and conformance to reporting and procedural standards in adhering to the financial policies in the Agreement of Cooperation between the Ministry and UN-Habitat Somalia Program.
- Make sure that proper filing systems are put in place for audit trail. This includes the correct labeling and the arrangement of vouchers into the files showing pre-numbered reference numbers. Responsible that all the files are up to date for good internal controls.
- Work with the UN-Habitat’s finance team in supporting them and verifying the expenditure and liquidation report of the advance payed before requesting the subsequent payment.
- Plan for cash flow requirements for the project and submit updated cash forecast and monthly cash requests to the project accountant on a timely basis.
- Process and make payments as provided in the approved budget;
- Ensure timely recovery of all advances including travel and mid-month advances and provide monthly update of any outstanding advances to the Director General of the Ministry and UN-Habitat finance team.
- Organize the Ministry program and operations files and keep them updated as needed.
- Support the administrative management of the projects, including financial, administrative and operational activities.
- Maintain project documents and information with confidentiality, ensuring that all records pertaining to the project are properly completed and stored in a secure place.
- Capacity Development related activities
- In collaboration with the urban planner and the Director General of the Ministry and UN-Habitat team, contribute in developing appropriate project planning and implementation mechanisms.
- Support the urban planner in organizing and conducting training on Urban Planning Capacity Building activities within the ministry and for technical staff of JPLG districts and Baidoa District;
- Support the urban planner in drafting of a simplified urban regulatory framework, planning guidelines and the application of the tools in selected project districts;
- Provide technical support in providing information pertaining to the project activities.
- Support the urban planner in drafting, translation and printing of the planning guidelines and standard as well as awareness information for the Ministry to enhance the visibility of the project activities and the Ministry mandates;
- Support the urban planner in preparing background study reports / Development proposal reports or assist in the production of documents; hereby closely collaborates with districts and other concerned ministries;
- Follow-up issues related to partner’s actions and propose appropriate solutions;
- Support in the preparation of activity plans, procurement plans and budgets for all activities;
- ANY other duties assigned by the Director General of the Ministry and the urban planner.
- Knowledge and understanding of basic accounting, financial procedures and administration skills.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting procedures
- Experience of systems audit and articulating/implementing recommendations
- Able to manage assigned work in professional manner, e.g. structured, forward looking, in time;
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; and also, persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
- Service oriented and loyal.
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English and Somali languages Fluent in Maay dialect is an added advantage.
- Good interpersonal Skills, good Communication skill
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Can adjust communication style to various situations, for example presentation, planning discussion, inter-ministerial working group;
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for time contingencies; adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently;
- Report in time when challenges occur that hamper accomplishment of assigned tasks; foreseeing risks and allowing for contingencies when preparing work plans and project timelines;
- Maintain a close collaboration to project partners (service-oriented) and UN-Habitat.
Qualifications and professional experience required:
- A first-level university degree in Commerce, Business administration (finance or Accounting option) from a recognized university.
- Minimum of 2 years of progressively mid-level management experience with INGO’s in professional accounting and financial management. Work experience in government sector is an advantage.
How to apply
- Interested candidates who meet the above requirement should submit their CV & Applications through the email email@example.com not later than 22th August 2019.
- Note: Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for interview.
- Female Candidates are strongly encouraged.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
2561 total views, 1 today