Advertisement for Executive Director
Somaliland Non-State Actors Forum
Location: Jigjga-yar, Badda As, Behind WHO Office
Date: 14th July 2019
Subject: Advertisement for Executive Director
SONSAF is a non-governmental, non-political and non-profit seeking outfit that brings together non-state actors in Somaliland into one platform. The platform was formed pursuant to the Cotonou Agreement to provide a forum through which local non-state actors (NSAs) could participate in, and influence policy and decision-making processes at local, state, regional and international levels. It was established in 2008 with assistance from the European Union in joint collaboration with Saferworld. SONSAF brings together a wide range of non-state actors from across the districts and regions of Somaliland including non-governmental organizations, networks, umbrella organizations, community-basedOrganizations, business associations, and different categories of professionals, such as universities, media associations, lawyers’ associations and health associations. The platform aims to strengthen non-state actors in Somaliland to engage in domestic and international policy dialogue and decision making to bring about a secure and peaceful future for the people of Somaliland. Key issues that the platform advocates on include development, good governance, democracy, peacebuilding and state-building, security & environmental protection. SONSAF has received technical and financial support from Saferworld through ongoing capacity building exercises aimed at improving SONSAF’s capacity to link their work to that of the international community.
SONSAF is currently seeking to recruit a qualified candidate for the following position.
Title: Executive Director
Reporting: BOD Chairperson
Duty Station: Hargeisa, with frequency travel to the regions as required.
- Purpose of the Position:
The Executive Director shall lead and manage overall functions of SONSAF’s Secretariat branch operation management and control, implement day-to-day official business administration activities of the SONSAF and perform such other functions as may be determined by the Board.
Under the direct supervision of the board of SONSAF through chairperson, the Executive Director shall fulfill the following responsibilities: –
- Lead overall operation management of the Secretarial of SONSAF in accordance of policies and procedures;
- Supervise and provide effective leadership for the management team and staff of the SONSAF;
- Lead and implement SONSAF’s vision, mission and objectives, strategic plan approved by the board;
- Lead in fundraising, seeking and securing new donors, proposal writing and managing of large and complex grants.
- Negotiate and sign funding contracts and agreements on behalf of the SONSAF;
- Responsible to plan, organize, implement, manage and control of overall day-to-day operations activities of Secretariat;
- Responsible to recruit, train, coach, appraise, support, guide and reward employees of SONSAF in accordance of policies and procedures of the SONSAF;
- their approval and report to the board on monthly, quarterly and annually;
- Initiate and lead all processes of funding proposal writing, project development and sustain regular fundraising activities;
- Manage project implementation, supervision, M&E, control and reporting in accordance of SONSAF’s policies and procedures and donor requirements;
- Periodically review and standardize SONSAF’s program/project management framework and documentations;
- Chair staff meetings in the secretariat and ensure that all senior personnel are updated on information and development trends of the organization;
- Ensure that all financial management and disbursement are approved, and proper documentation is maintained for each transaction;
- Meet agreed objectives as set out in the Strategic Plan and/or annual work plan of SONSAF or as otherwise determined by the chairperson of the board;
- Prepare annual budget plan and submit to the board for approval and implement upon acceptance;
- Oversee and monitor program progress and prepare periodical reports and financial reports to donors as required;
- Attend or delegate someone for the development and humanitarian meetings, and liaise on behalf of the SONSAF with the Government, private enterprise, development organizations, funding organizations, networks and other interests at national and regional levels;
- Make sure that all outgoing reports, proposals, correspondence are properly reviewed;
- Promote conflict resolution among Staff and prevent staff turnover by mitigating Staff issues as required;
- Assist the board members in the discharge of their governance role as required by the board rules, comply with any lawful requests and liaise with the auditors, legal advisors and other professional service providers assigned by the board;
- Make sure that all financial, human resource, administration, procurement, assets, inventory, logistics and transport of SONSAF are managed in accordance of policies and procedures;
- Make sure board informed in a timely manner of all matters which may impact on the performance and well-being of the SONSAF and
- Undertake such other duties as may from time to time be lawfully directed by the Chairperson.
- Master’s degree in business administration, Public Administration, Development Studies, Project Management or related discipline required/ Bachelor decree plus 7 years of work experience;
- Minimum of 5 years of similar work experience required;
- Experience in leading team and complex program/project;
- Experience of CSOs sector public sector policy roles; campaign /strategists;
- Good sense of self and strong personal presence;
- Willingness to work hard and take direction and creatively to solve problems;
- Knowledge of Civil Society business and stakeholders is desirable.
- Essentials and Core Competencies
Critical essentials and core competencies for successful performance in this position shall be:
- Knowledge and experience of donor funding projects specially EU, DANIDA, DFID and UN;
- Professional interpersonal communications skills (written/verbal);
- Strong writing skills;
- Proven result of similar position and project management skills;
- People’s knowledge and leadership, organizational and negotiation skills;
- Personal diplomacy, culturally sensitive, personal ethics, integrity and trust;
- Ability to work independently and successfully manage pressures and multiple tasks and deadlines and
- Strong creative thinker, strategic/financial analysis skills.
- Working Relationships
- SONSAF Executive staff;
- SONSAF Board of Directors through chair;
- SONSAF partners.
- To Apply
The interesting applicants are invited to submit a CV including 3 references and cover letter detailing your experience, qualifications and any other relevant information to:SONSAF Headquarters office at Jigjiga yar neighborhood, behind WHO office in Hargeisa. Both hard copies and soft copies are required. Soft copies will be sent through email@example.com.
Closing date: 30th July 2019. 4:00 PM, Hargeisa Time.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.