Advocacy and Communications Officer
Somali Women Development Centre
Job Title: Advocacy and Communications Officer
Position Location: Mogadishu, Somalia, with travel to other locations in Somalia upon required
Staff of Contract & Duration: (One Year with possibility of extension)
Somali Women Development Centre is a non-governmental and non-profit making organization that was established mid 2000, Since then, SWDC has worked with a range of partners, donors and Governments that include UN agencies and INGO, grantees to implement programs and activities that promote equal rights for women to ensure they have an active role in the Somali community through enhancing their social, political, economic and cultural participation.
SWDC is working to improve the situation of women in Somalia. SWDC’s guiding vision is that belief and wants a holistic, transformational socioeconomic empowerment, based on well-being, equality, social justice, and a powerful voice against women’s poverty. SWDC envision a society in which women’s contribution to all aspects of life is recognized, rewarded and celebrated – in leadership, in care and in production; all women have freedom of choice, self-confidence, and freedom from exploitation; and no woman has been left behind.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of Executive Director, the Communications and Advocacy Officer supports the formulation and implementation of the communications and advocacy strategies to increase the standing and awareness of SWDC with Donors, Stakeholders, the media and the public. The Communications and Advocacy Officer promotes a client-oriented approach in SWDC’S Program.
S/he will be responsible for planning and communication related support in the efficient and effective execution of project activities. In carrying out her/his responsibilities, s/he will develop the strong communication tool and provide necessary information among all the stakeholders. S/he will advocate and promote the work of SWDC and will also work closely with project Officer, Other Departments, Donors, cluster, Government officials, private sector, non-government and civil society organizations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the formulation and implementation of project communications and advocacy strategies, supports business development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of the Project publications policy; provides inputs, content development, coordination of production and dissemination of press releases, publications, articles, blogs and sharing of project knowledge and successes
- Provision of inputs and information for elaboration of project communication strategy based on the corporate communications strategy
- Support to increased awareness of SWDC’s mandate and goals through dissemination of information, organization of public events
- In coordination with supervisor development and preparation of materials for marketing, Fundraising and awareness-raising including briefing materials and press releases
- Organization of publicity, advocacy, knowledge-sharing events and promotional opportunities. Provision of logistics support to the events.
- Review of reference materials, identification of reference materials for retention. Maintenance of information database and photo library.
- Research and retrieval of data from internal and external sources;
- Organization and implementation of campaigns and Commemorations of International Days according to SWDC Calendar events
- Liaise with media outlets to ensure that the appropriate information and messages are reaching the public, including preparing press releases.
- Develop and implement strategies to increase and improve public outreach
- Prepare promotional material on the organization and projects, including pamphlets, videos, Documentary etc.
- Prepare communication reports for
- Develop and maintain organizational website for information dissemination.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support to colleagues in identification, documenting and drafting of best practices and lessons learned.
- Organization of training for the staff on effective communications and advocacy. Lead the process of knowledge for disseminating at all levels and produces documents that capture the right stakeholders and production of knowledge-based products.
- Organize internal and external networks or communities of practice covering prominent experts in government, non-government, INGO, think tanks, private companies, international development organizations, UN and other Donors
- Develop country /State situations, opportunities, interests and prospects covering as well developments.
- Provide intellectual inputs in the subject area as well as the opportunities to develop broader public Service
- Undertake and facilitate necessary actions to leverage relevant information
- Provide support to organization of workshops, seminars, training and delivery of outputs
- Coordinates with various government, non-governmental agencies, INGO, UN and Donors regarding update the project and Program information
- In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching overall project targets and Organizational goal
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the reputation and standing of the organization’s interventions in the country. High quality information material and well-organized public events enhances SWDC position as a strong organization.
- Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences
- Makes research of contacts in the media, government, private sector, NGOs, INGO, donors, other agencies, civil society in other stakeholders for SWDC’s advocacy efforts
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Creating Visibility for SWDC/Supporting to Advocate
- Disseminate information and materials on SWDC’s development/humanitarian activities
- Maintains networks and knowledge assets for use in visibility and image activities
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for SWDC’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor’s degree from reputed university in Mass Communications & Journalism, Media Studies, Communications Strategy, Development Communication or relevant discipline.
At least 5 years of relevant experience at the national level in providing communication packages to promote the activities of organization, preferably a development organization. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and graphic designing. Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Language Requirements:Spoken and written fluency in English and Somali
How to Apply
Qualified persons with required skills are invited to their applications accompanied by CV and cover letter as single documents, to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Subject Advocacy and Communications Officer
No later than 5:00PM 18TH Jan 2019
Please note the only short listed candidates will be contacted