|Title:Agribusiness Specialist 1 Position||Location:Mogadishu, Somalia||Duration:1 year (Renewable)|
Growth, Enterprise, Employment & Livelihoods (GEEL) is 5-year USAID-funded project designed to promote and facilitate inclusive economic growth throughout Somalia. The project is currently focusing on the agricultural sector, fisheries and renewable energy but is anticipated to expand in the future into other sectors of the economy. It will also seek to strengthen the business enabling environment through improving access to finance, policy and regulation, and business development services. Particular focus will be given to increase the participation of women and youth in the economy as entrepreneurs, employers, and employees. In response to the recent droughts in Somalia; USAID will provide resources to further integrate humanitarian and development assistance taking a resilience focus with integration between different aspects of the project.
The Agribusiness Specialist is responsible for implementing GEEL`s agriculture value chain activities (, sesame, bananas, fresh fruits) and others) in accordance with GEEL annual work plans. S/he will engage with private sector enterprises, potential investors, cooperatives, women`s groups and government representatives with the overall goal of increasing productivity and profitability as well as creation of jobs in the selected value chain and sectors. Emphasis will be placed in addressing challenges in agricultural production, post-harvest handling, storage, processing, agribusiness operations and profitability, market linkages and trade facilitation, and access to finance.
The Agribusiness Specialist position is one of key technical leads of the agriculture value chain teams overseeing key technical support in co-ordination with the private sector and government representatives.
The Agribusiness Specialist will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Assist the GEEL’s agriculture value chain teams to implement strategic and impactful agriculture value chain activities in accordance with annual work plans;
- Develop close working relationships with known key sector stakeholders and identify develop a database of key agriculture value chain stakeholders.
- Act as primary contact for GEEL agriculture value chain enterprises, cooperatives and other stakeholders;
- Oversee and co-ordinate key agricultural activities and deliverables such as farm level trainings, export and market promotion as well as introduction and adaption of new agricultural technologies at farm and enterprise levels.
- Manage and support short term consultants that may be recruited to GEEL to work on agriculture value chain activities, and any other support staff that may be recruited;
- Identify and evaluate key business or business proposals requesting mentoring and technical support from GEEL;
- Undertake data collection and validate key agriculture value chains sector information such as gross margin per animal, sales, pricing, volumes and values, amongst others, disaggregated by gender, region e.t.c
- Assist in the organization and facilitation of agriculture value chains competitiveness platforms that will bring all actors together to discuss challenges and opportunities. The competitiveness platform will engage at least 30% women;
- Support the Agriculture Value Chain Advisor in competitiveness benchmarking; comparing Somalia’s GEEL Value chains of focus with other countries in the region;
- Carry out value chain market research and analysis, and dissemination of information to Somali stakeholders and potential investors.
- Support agribusinesses to access finance and investment from financial institutions and banks including development and reviews of sound business plans etc.
- Any other tasks of a similar nature requested by the Agricultural/Deputy Value Chain Team Leader, Chief of Party or Deputy Chief of Party.
The AgribusinessSpecialist will directly report to the Agriculture Value Chain Deputy Team Leadand will work closely with the AgriculturalValue Chain Advisor.
- Bachelor’s Degree in agribusiness or a related field such as economics, agricultureand or marketing;
- At least 5 years’ work experience in agribusiness and agriculture sector in conflict or complex environments. A master’s Degree in a relevant field can take the place of 2 years’ experience;
- Complimentary work experience in a relevant competency area, including Environmental Management, Agriculture and Natural resources.
- Excellent oral and written English and Somali Language skills;
- Honest and trustworthy;
- Ability to work independently and as part of team;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Word & Excel);
- Well-organized and able to perform effectively within tight deadlines;
- Hard-working, self-motivated and possessing a positive attitude;
- Ability to travel throughout Somali/Somaliland
- Ability to interact with various local organizations and government stakeholders on behalf of the project.
How to apply:
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements can submit updated CV and cover letter to Jobs@sogeel.org with subject line specifically indicating location: Application for Agribusiness Specialist–Mogadishu, Somalia.Deadline: by 25th May 2019.