Agricultural, Resilience and Innovation (ARI) Team Leader
|Title:Agricultural, Resilience and Innovation (ARI) Team Leader – 1 Position||Location:Mogadishu, Somalia||Duration:1 year (Renewable)|
Growth, Enterprise, Employment & Livelihoods (GEEL) is 5-year USAID-funded project designed to promote and facilitate inclusive economic growth in South Central Somalia, Puntland and Somaliland. The project is currently focusing on the agricultural sector (livestock, fisheries & horticulture) but is anticipated to expand in the future into other sectors of the economy. It will also seek to strengthen the business enabling environment through improving access to finance, policy and regulation, and business development services. Particular focus will be given to increase the participation of women and youth in the economy as entrepreneurs, employers, and employees.
The ARI Team Leader will support the implementation of GEEL’s initial Task Order 2 according to GEEL’s approved Work Plan.
The ARI Team Leader will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Provide technical and administrative leadership for GEEL’s ARI teams (agriculture, resilience and innovation) leading to the implementation of the GEEL’s approved work Plan
- Supervise and directly manage at least 3 sub-team leaders as well as over 20 technical and administrative staff in the management of the ARI activities.
- Provide technical support to several key value chain actors including small scale and commercial agribusinesses, traders and exporters, processors, service providers, retailers, investors/potential investors, university faculties, industry associations and cooperatives, banks, government agencies and government ministries.
- Visit markets, processing and storage facilities and other sites necessary to understand scale of operation and the premises or locations of value chain actors to understand particular challenges.
- Review donor interventions with a focus on long term sustainability and success of interventions undertaken.
- Explore and identify potential partnerships for GEEL, in the private and public sectors, and recommend specific areas of opportunity for GEEL.
- Explore ideas and opportunities for development of innovative business models such as agribusiness dealers and networks, and leasing, among others.
- Assist the project technical teams in designing methodologies used for identifying measures that can be taken with companies, businesses, cooperatives, associations, and other intermediaries, to improve their performance, sales, production and competitive pricing.
- Support the M&E team as needed in capturing all the anticipated benefits from value chain interventions including data collection tools and Quarterly and Annual Reports.
- Support, facilitate and promote high value agricultural exports such as sesame, bananas, etc including preparation of business promotion documentation, interpretation for government representatives, plan and organize side meetings, undertake market information collection, and identify opportunities for Somalia exports to the Middle East Market and beyond. Follow up actions.
- Coordinate with partners and other relevant stakeholders for the implementation of the activities
- Compile and develop quarterly and annual reports and other regular updates such as weekly reports and project briefs and technical reports.
The ARI Team Leader will report to and be supervised by the GEEL Chief of Party. He will be supported by a team of technical sector leaders and specialists.
- Master’s degree in Agriculture, economics, social science, international development, Business Administration or Similar discipline
- At least 10 years of relevant progressive work experience, out of which 3 years in senior managerial positions in complex and fragile contexts.
- Prior experience in agriculture, livelihoods, resilience or humanitarian assistance programming in Somalia and the Horn of Africa, including aspects in improving production, marketing, investment, financing, training, processing/operations and/or management.
- Experience in project management in delivering targets and results in conflict, challenging and difficult situations.
- Prior experience in developing partnership with both private and public actors as part of program implementation in achieving projects desired goals.
- Experience in leading and motivating multi-disciplinary team
- Excellent oral and written English, Somali and/or Arabic preferable.
- Willingness to travel inside Somalia – all regions
- Strong writing and report development skills.
- Strong networking, representational and negotiation skills
- Excellent computer skills- Ms Office (Word, Excel, Power point)
How to apply:
Interested applicants can submit updated CV and cover letter to Jobs@sogeel.org with subject line specifically indicating location: Application for Agricultural Team Leader–Somalia.
Deadline: by 15th July 2019