Terms of Reference
Lifeline Gedo (LLG) is national non-governmental humanitarian organization dedicated towards ensuring that local communities in Somalia are resilient and able to cope with perennial shocks that threaten their livelihoods year in year out. LLG engages in long-term development work, responds to emergency situations, and seeks to address the root causes of poverty.
|1. POSITION INFORMATION|
|Reporting Directly To||Programmes Manager|
|Overall Supervision By||Programmes Manager|
|Duration||1 Year with possibility of extension|
|Directly Reporting Staff||None.|
|2. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE|
|Under the overall guidance and direct supervision by the Programmes Manager the incumbent will be accountable and responsible for the implementation of activities as directly herewith within Lifeline Gedo’s Programme areas.|
|3. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES|
Program implementation and Development
· Work with the LLG project team and Community Resilience Committee (CRC) in the identification,
selection and registration of the BRCIS program beneficiaries (FFS & SHGs) groups in Bardere and Belet-Hawa districts in Gedo region and ensuring that the targeting processis participatory and transparent
· Work with the LLG program manager, field Coordinator and other programme staff to ensure the
achievement of the objectives of LLG’s humanitarian development/emergency programmes in
· Make regular field visits to inspect and monitor the overall crop performance and persistence of pest infestation or damage caused by pest.
· Introduction/Application of organic and provides on the-job training and technical know-how on organic fertilizer to field extension workers.
· Management of the activities of FFS particularly farm inputs and conduct training on the basis of training gabs identified
· Prepare and conduct field days and exposure visits for FFS to strengthen group cohesion, dynamic and performance of FFS
· In collaboration with field extension workers select the sites and establish the Farmers Field School (FFS) communal demonstration plots.
· In collaboration with field extension workers, Belet-hawa field officer/Assistants and FFS farmers’ members organize and conduct field days on FFS communal plots in wider farming community are invited.
· Able to prepare training curriculum on crop husbandry and post-harvest management (PHM)techniques and conduct training to extension workers and FFS facilitators based on crop cycle period
· In conjunction with extension workers and field coordinator prepare and conduct on the-job training session for FFS groups in demonstration plot based on crop calendar seasons.
· In collaboration with field coordinator, extension workers and target farmers conduct seasonal crop harvest assessment.
· Provide technical input and support to Project/Field Officers, Field Assistants, Community Extension Workers on the project capacity building issues
· In –conjunction with Project Engineers participate the identification of weak river sections and canals to be rehabilitated through cash for work.
Monitoring and Reporting
· Collect (or support others to collect) and compile all required monitoring data in a timely manner.
· In conjunction with LLG field team and CRC Collect information on LLG’s humanitarian response in the area of BRCIS EWEA.
· Continuously monitor the humanitarian/food security situation across LLG BRCIS program areas and provide accurate reports to your line manage.
· Monitor soil condition and evaluate parameters such as soil fertility, compaction, drainage, and soil moisture contents
· Formulate field agricultural plans and share with field staff and at the same time do reviews of agricultural plans on monthly basis
· Participate with project field staff in formulating community action plans and submitting the report on right time
· Undertake additional assessments, beneficiary interviews in case necessary, to keep up to date with community perceptions of the project, changing needs and opinions.
· Participate in project assessments, surveys, surveillance, program reviews and other monitoring activities as required.
· Compile and prepare monthly, quarterly, annually and field reports at the field level and submit to the Program Manager
· Contribute to the preparation and collection of case studies to demonstrate programme impact
· Undertake regular visits to the project sites and report back with findings/recommendations
· Participate participatory evaluations in the project areas and make necessary recommendations to improve project activities
· Monitor & supervise and make follow-ups for the project activities using project monitoring tools.
· Liaise with LLG WASH and other teams to ensure collaboration and integrated support to vulnerable families wherever possible.
· Participate in internal programme meetings as required
· Attend National Food security monthly meetings in Dolow
· Coordinate and guide Project/Field officers, Field assistants and Community extension workers in undertaking periodic training need assessments and identify training gaps of partners of CBOs (Community Disaster Management Committees, Canal committees, Farmer Field Schools Self Help Groups, Community Extension Workers
· Look for opportunities to expand, improve or adapt the programme and advise the LLGmanagement
· Other tasks as may reasonably be requested by the LLG management
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· Special Skills
· Good analytical thinking and good interpersonal skills
· Ability and willingness to interact successfully and respectfully with people at all levels and from all backgrounds
· Ability to work under pressure and without constant supervision.
· Flexibility and ability to carry out additional duties and tasks as required and adapt to a changing operational environment
· Innovative and pro-active with a positive attitude
· Accepts and gives constructive criticism
· Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
· Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
· Monitors own work to correct errors
· Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
· Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
· Identifies the immediate and peripheral beneficiaries of own work
· Contributes to colleagues’ learning
· Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
· Actively shares relevant information
· Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
· Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
· Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
· Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
· Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
· Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
· Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
· Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
· Knowledgeable about and promotes LLG core mandate
· Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
· Contributes to, and follows team objectives
· Gives credit where credit is due
· Seeks input and feedback from others
· Actively supports and implements final group decisions
|· Effectively applies knowledge and skills on LLGs mission, policies and procedures
· Provides solutions to problems or areas where improvement is needed with regards to delivering on LLG’s mandate remove it here as you mentioned in competence section.
|6. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE|
|· Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture and Natural Resources Management (NRM) or Soil and Water conservation.
· Additional training on Farmer Field Schools (FFS) is desirable.
· Must have completed high school (‘O’ Levels and equivalent) education with a diploma in social sciences or any other related course
· A higher diploma or degree in related fields is highly advantageous
· At least five years’ experience of Agriculture-related humanitarian/development program implementation and working in Somalia
· Experience of implementing Farmer Field Schools (FFS) or Self-Help Groups (SHGs) and have experience of working in complex, insecure environments
· At least 2 years’ experience working directly with and supervising teams in field environments implementing humanitarian activities
· Required LLG functional competencies: team player, effective communicator, successful negotiator, creative and analytical thinker, active learner, able to work in a multi-cultural environment.
· Ability to function effectively under stressful conditions such as heavy workloads, extensive travel and deadlines.
· Fluent spoken and written Somali
· High level of spoken and written English
· Decision making ability and good leadership style mainly team work.
· Should have good technical skills
· Proficiency in Microsoft Windows and MS Office applications.
|· Proficiency in Somali and working knowledge of English language required|
Interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, should apply by submitting their applications (cover letter, updated CV and contacts of 3 professional referees) by email to email@example.com or LLG’s Office, in Dolow with the subject line “Application for Agronomist” The closing date for application is 23rdJune2019. Applications and CVs submitted after deadline will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Due to the fact this position is urgent, applications will be short listed on a regular basis and we may offer posts before the closing date