Area Compliance Officer
Position: Area Compliance Officer
Department: Transparency & Compliance
Direct Hierarchy: Area Coordinator
Functional Hierarch: Compliance Manager
Contract duration: 6 Months (with possible extension)
Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland, with travel to other locations in Somalia as required
Starting date: February 2019
Background on ACTED
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the Compliance Officer Position in Mogadishu, Somalia.
The Senior FLAT/Compliance officer is responsible for the implementation of ACTED’’s compliance process and follow up of the system and procedures; the Senior FLAT/Compliance Officer will follow with direct collaboration of FLAT (Finance, Logistic , HR & Admin and Transparency) to set up a proper and regular follow up of ACTED FLAT & compliance system and FLAT folders. He/She is also responsible for management and oversee of FLATS/Compliance department and their achievements toward Country Coordination.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Internal Audit Responsibilities
- Conduct audit mission. According to agreed and planned schedule and written terms of reference:
- Develop and propose quarterly plan for internal audit of ACTED Somalia and roll out the implementations;
- Review and support FLAT teams for program documents (cash for work activities, hygiene kit distribution, and asset rehabilitation) submitted by the bases and FU with high risk issues.
- Ensure transparent system, procedures within ACTED Somalia FLATS operations by regular internal audit, survey, assessment and investigations;
- Follow up with compliance findings relevant to FLATS and conduct the proper needed action.
- Follow up and update about legal information such as Social Security and Tax Department.
2. External Audit Responsibilities
- Prepare for External Audit for field, capital and HQ audits.
- Prepare for Donor’s external audit, by collecting and checking all the required FLAT/Program documents.
- Follow up with FLATS implementing partner and other departments where necessary
- Follow up with implementing partners reviews and due diligence assessment
- External audit reports follow up and improvement of FLATS process based on external audit findings and recommendations.
- Respond to ad-hoc requests from local implementing partner expenses
3. FLAT Responsibilities
- Internal rules and regulations:
- Provide timely supplementary control of compliance documentation (FLAT Folders, tenders, finance doc, etc.);
- Review final financial documents on a monthly basis against SAGA and timely notify the cashier and head of department of any corrective action to take.
- Ensure the ACTED internal FLAT Manual regulations are implemented by all heads of Departments at the base level;
- Ensure that ACTED internal rules and policies are compliant with donor requirements, local laws and are appropriate with the context in which ACTED operates.
- Support the whole FLAT process:
- Responsible for preparing, maintaining and controlling the FLAT folders as per the ACTED internal audit manual;
- Responsible for centralizing FLAT folders at capital level; make sure FLAT folder are up to date;
- Reconcile finance, logistics and Administration information/data with the content of the FLAT folder and ensure that the final reports of closed projects always tally the existing available information.
- Prepare recommendations in the case of irregularities or weaknesses and ensure recommendations are followed.
- Ensure FLAT Folders at base level are properly kept up to date with the relevant documents;
- Ensure that “transparency principles” rule the procurement, payment and recruitment processes on the field; report any deviation and proactive suggestions to the compliance manager and country Coordination if need be;
- Highlight, recommended and follow up mitigation of risks for ACTED program activities.
- Capacity building:
- Responsible for training head of departments on specific FLAT procedures to be followed;
- To ensure that new comers receive an appropriate overview of the FLAT requirements.
- Training all key implementing partner staff on ACTED Processes
- Provide FLAT Training, capacity building or trouble shooting upon request or when identifying a gap in implementing / knowing ACTED procedures. (For FLAT, Program staff and implementing partner)
- Office Organization:
- Ensure the office and the other FLAT offices are adequately organized and confidential information properly safe guarded;
- Gather the documents needed for projects FLAT folders: link with Base Logistics, Finance, HR and programs dept.
- Ensure with on time follow up that FLAT folders are arranged with all required contains, base wise/project wise;
- Reporting :
- Preparation of compliance review reports for the monthly implementing partner expenses
- Prepare annexes to the monthly compliance report
- Giving as much detail as possible for all existing projects that are ongoing and completed but are yet,to be reviewed and submitted to the capital office.
- Implementing partners
- Follow up on due diligence assessment mitigation measures
- Assist in conducting due diligence assessment for current and potential implementing partner(s)
- Conduct compliance review on partners’ monthly expenses and share findings with compliance department.
- Bachelor degree in Finance,Accounting or a related field.
- A minimum of three years relevant experience, preferably in a similar position in an NGO in Risk analysis; Audit (internal); Compliance;
- Deep and clear understanding of humanitarian principles and activities.
- Sound understanding/experience in the whole audit process phases, i.e. assignment planning, execution, and reporting
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Strong organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision, pro-active and a good team-player.
- High level of integrity, transparency and honesty.
- Fluency in Somali language
Qualified persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to email@example.com and received on or before 5.00PM on 18th December 2018 with the subject line“AREA COMPLIANCE OFFICER”
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.