Area Manager (Djibouti Nationals Only) – Djibouti
Norwegian Refugee Council
Advertiser: Norwegian Refugee Council
Ref. nr.: 4092502493
Industry: Emergency Relief
Special field: Construction
Executive / Management
Middle / line manager
Job location: Gabode VI, block 6 Djibouti
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Djibouti hosts about 27,000 refugees, mainly Somalis, Ethiopians, Eritreans and, lately, Yemenis fleeing war. Harsh climatic conditions and drought continues to displace people in the region and push them to cross the border to Djibouti. NRC provides lifesaving support to refugees, host communities and internally displaced people in coordination with the local authorities.
All Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
The purpose of the Area Manager position is to ensure high quality and cost-effective programme/project implementation within the designated geographical area.
1. Line management for senior project staff and support functions in the area
2. Member of the Country Management Group (CMG).
3. Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
4. Provide area specific input on Core Competencies strategies, Country Strategy and Plan of Action .
5. Organize grants opening and closure meetings at area level.
1. Implementation of projects (including master support budget and coordinating input for donor proposals and reports) in the area, in compliance with contractual commitments (i.e. quality, synergies, timeliness, use of resources).
6. Assess needs, develop emergency response and implement response plans
7. Ensure optimal use of resources within the allocated project budgets and Core Competencies strategies.
8. Represent NRC and networking on area level.
9. Ensure that capacity building is provided to all staff in the area.
10. Ensure overall security and safety of staff in the area.
11. Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
• When delegated by the Country Director, represent NRC in all official functions in Djibouti including government and donor’s meetings.
1. Forefront durable solutions by representing NRC in steering committee meetings for the implementation of Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework in Djibouti.
2. With the support from the Country Director and Head of Programme, take lead in fundraising initiatives for the Djibouti programme .
3. Responsible for the implementation of programme strategy in Djibouti.
4. When requested, offer logistical and administrative support to Yemen and Somalia Programmes.
• Minimum 3 years of experience from working as a Senior Project Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context.
• Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
• Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
• Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile.
• Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
Administration / Organisation / Management
College / University, Bachelor’s degree
Context/skills, knowledge and experience:
• Knowledge of the context in Djibouti
• Knowledge of the French language
• Handling insecure environments.
• Strategic thinking.
• Empowering and building trust.
• Managing performance and development.
• Managing resources to optimise results.
One Year Contract
Duty Station: Djibouti Office or Field Office
Salary: According to NRC Salary Scale
Due to the urgency to fill the role, applications will be reviewed on rolling basis.
Travel: Some travelling must be expected
Apply for position
Deadline for application: 15/06/2019