|Area Representative – Southern States|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Operations, Somalia||LOCATION: Mogadishu travel to SCI field offices in allthe southern states|
|GRADE: Executive||POST TYPE: National|
Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
|ROLEPURPOSE: The Area Representative isresponsibleforthemanagementoftheField Offices including the Field Managers andimplementationofSavetheChildrenprograminthesouthern States.S/heisalso responsiblefor thedevelopmentand implementationofsouthern States Area annualplans(i.e.programsand projectsconstitutingtheplans),and theimplementationof Operational Core BusinessProcesses atarealevel (AreaSMT,AreaBVAs,Proposal DevelopmentProcess, field coordinationforprogramdevelopment/management/monitoring,etc.). The Area Representative shall ensurethatindividualaccountabilitiesfor thisatarealevelareclearlystated,understoodand internalized.
The role supportstheOperation Director,ProgrammeOperationsinfacilitatingkeyrelationshipsbetweentheProgrammeOperationsTeam,particularly Field Managers,Area-level Department Heads (Awards, Finance, HR/Admin, Logistics, Safety and Security etc) andotherCOunits (PDQ, HR,Finance,andSafety&Security).
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
|SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to:Director of Program Operations
Dimensions:Save the Children has been working in Somalia for more than 60 years. The Area Office has over 280 staff across 7 field offices (Mogadishu, Beletweyne, Adaado, Abudwak, Baidoa, Kismayo, and Dhobley). The Area Office coordination and administration is base in Mogadishu. The Southern States Area Office manages over 30 active awards with portfolio of US$ 40 million from a range of governmental/institutional donors, including DFID, ECHO, EU, FFP, OFDA, and DANIDA. Save the Children in Southern States implements projects inHealth, Nutrition, Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH), Education, Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL), Child Protection and Child Rights Governance.
Staff directly reporting to this post: Directly line manages Field Managers, Head of Programs, Area Finance Manager, Area Awards Manager, Area HR/Admin Manager, Area Supply Chain Manager, Area Safety and Security Manager, Area Advocacy, Communications, Campaigns and Media Coordinator.
|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Program Development, Implementation and Delivery
· Ensure that management support is provided to the Field Managers within the Area Office in the management of the different offices, implementation ofquality programsas wellas operations core business processes.
· In close coordination withthe ProgrammeDevelopment and Quality Teamto ensurethattheField Managersandtheirteamsare fully involved inproposal developmentas stated inthe corebusiness processguidelines forproposals development.
· Ensurethat areateams undertake monthly sessionsto monitor expenditureagainstbudget (BudgetVariance Analysis– BVA)andthatall programmes progress inaccordance withgrantagreements and are completed withintimeand onbudget withan emphasis on cost effectiveness, innovationandhigh-qualityprogramming to serve hard-to-reach children.
· Ensurethat Areateams undertake monthly SMT meetingstoupdate each areaunit on its current key priorities andachievements,presentany issuesthat would require attentionand support from other areaunitsand comeup with solutionstoaddress those.
· Through monthly reports received fromthefield offices,to retain an oversight of thebudget situation in each field officeand ensurethatfield officesare efficientat coveringall of their costs.
· Havebudgetholding responsibilities for programs/projects implementedwithin the Area Office and Multi-Area Grant as appropriate, in line with the SOD threshold of the position.
· Ensure programsare implemented in ways responsiveto the communities and children in line with Savethe Children principles, valuesand strategicplanand following Savethe Children compliance procedures. This includes working withgovernment (both Federal and Member states), localadministrationsandnational NGO-partners to strengthen national capacity.
· Working with colleagues inthe PDQ departmentto ensure thepreparation oftimelyandhigh-qualityprogress reports,program reports, and donor reports.
· Assist the Operations Director in working with the DCD-Operations, PDQ department in implementing funding strategies related both to grants and SC members and in line with Area Plans and CO specific sector/thematic strategies (FSL, Resilience, etc.).
· Assist the Director of Programme Operations in implementing Programme Operations Best Practices.
People Management and Development
Financial, Budget and Grant Management
Partnership management, Development and Representation
Emergency Response Management
· Ensure that Southern States Area Office has anup-to-date, context-based andachievable Emergency Preparedness Plan (EPP)..
· With support from the Humanitarian managerandunderthe leadership ofthe DCD Operations Director, mount appropriateand timely responsesat scaletoall emergencies consistent with established benchmarks, plansand organizationalpolicies,and in close cooperation with incoming surgeteams.
Security Management and Context Monitoring
· Supportthe Director of Operations, DCD Operationsandthe Director of Safety and Securitytoensure thatall safetyand security minimum operating standardsand in country guidelinesandproceduresare metbyallarea offices.
|BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
· Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
· Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
· Willing to take disciplined risks.
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
· Degree in Development Studies or other Social Sciences.
|EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
· Minimum of10yearsmanagementexperienceinacorporateoranNGOenvironment,ina rangeofculturesincludingsignificant fieldoperationsexperience,runningbothemergencyanddevelopment programs.
· Robustexperienceof NGO emergency programcyclemanagement,and withexperienceofworkingwithina complexand matrixorganisationstructure.
· Indepthunderstandingof atleasttwoof thesectoralprogramsandaworkingknowledgeof theprogram prioritiesof theCountryOffice.
· Good understanding of international humanitarian systems, institutions and donors, and of procedures, accountability frameworks and best practices in emergency management.
· Substantialandprovenexperienceandknowledgeof effectivefinancialandbudgetarycontrolandsecuringand managinggrantsfrom majorinstitutionaldonors.
· Solidprojectmanagementskillsrelatedtoorganisationaldevelopmentprojectsandinternational,cross- functionalteamswithaprovenhistory ofdeliveringresults.
· Ability toanalyseinformation,evaluateoptionsandtothinkand planstrategically.
· An in-depth understanding of national and international development issuesparticularlyin relationto children.
· Previous experience ofmanaging and developing a team and the ability to lead,motivateand develop others.
· Fluency inwrittenand spokenEnglish.
· Abilityandwillingnesstochangeworkpracticesandhours,andworkwithincomingteamsintheeventof majoremergencies
· Willingnesstospend upto50% oftimeinvisitingfield officessecurity allowing.
· Commitment toandunderstanding ofSavetheChildren’s aims,valuesand principles includingrights- based approaches.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from any form of abuse.
|Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Interested candidates are required to submit electronic CV and mandatory cover letter quoting the Job Title on the subject line. The file name of the CV and attachments must be the applicants name and sent to the below link
Applications will close on April- 23 @ 12:00PM.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer. Women are strongly encouraged to apply
|Date: March 2019 Author: SCI|