Assistant Construction Engineer
SAVE THE CHILDREN
JOB TITLE: Assistant Construction Engineer
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Food Security and Livelihoods||LOCATION: Hargeisa, Somaliland|
|GRADE: 5||TYPE OF CONTRACT: National|
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
The Assistant Construction Engineer will contribute to Save the Children’s capacity of meeting its drought response, development and child poverty objectives in Somaliland.
The role will specifically address provision of quality engineering technical support, including needs assessment, site selection, construction or rehabilitation needs in development/emergencies, development of technical designs and BOQs, management, capacity building supervision and evaluation.
In addition, the role exists to develop direct development/emergency programs, strengthen and provide technical support for Save the Children’s core Programme sectors of FSL, Health, Education, Child Protection and hunger reduction where required.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Construction Engineer/FSL Program Manager
Country Dimensions: Save the Children has worked in Somalia for over 60 years, since 1951. Our vision is that every child in Somalia and Somaliland attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation. Save the Children has 530 staff across 14 field offices: Hargeisa, Burao and Borama in Somaliland; Bossaso, Garowe, Gardo and Galkayo in Puntland; Belet Weyne, Adaado, Abudwaq, Baidoa, Dhobley, Kismayo and Mogadishu in Central and South Somalia. Due to our long operational history and broad geographical coverage, we have established positive working relationships with key stakeholders, including national government, local authorities, donors, international and local NGOs, as well as the trust and acceptance of the communities themselves.
Staff directly reporting to this post: N/A
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Support the identification of community assets that need rehabilitations/construction and support the Cash for Work activities of Food For Peace Project in Awdal region.
- Make sure that Cash for Work activities are in line with Child Poverty Quality Benchmarks by design, timing and work breakdown.
- Support issues related to technical planning of the construction activities for All projects.
- Prepare or revise the tender documents of all construction activities including rehabilitations of irrigation canals, TVET workshops, schools, boreholes, shallow wells, HH latrines, Gender segregated latrines, roof catchment tanks, underground Berkads, mini-water systems and installation of hybrid power supply for the water sources.
- Conduct onsite and offsite analysis to select a compatible site for the construction works needed to be implemented.
- Prepare the technical drawings, bill of quantities and the required specifications according to Save the children Construction standards and Bench marks.
SAVE THE CHILDREN
- Continuous monitoring and supervision of the construction activities.
- Assist with the reviews and appraisals of submitted tender document especially during peak periods where he/she provides initial findings to the Project Managers for final recommendations to the respective programme teams.
- Conduct regular field project monitoring, supervision and reporting whilst provision of on-site technical support to field teams to ensure quality control and compliance.
- Timely submission for the progressive reports of the construction activities.
- Assess the completion of the construction works and handover the completion certificate to the contractors.
- Make sure that the construction activities are completed according to the time-framework.
- Prepare payment releases of the completed works of the contractors according to the contract terms and get it approved from concerned person.
- Ensure the site sanitation and cleanliness is adhered to acceptable standards.
- Solve the construction problems efficiently with respective manager/department.
- Inform the organization about the progress in construction and give guidance accordingly.
- Provide quality control and quality assurance to make sure that the purposes of the project are achieved.
- Make sure that the entire safety rules related to construction work are adhered to.
- Acting as the main technical adviser on a construction site for the assigned contractors, crafts people and operatives
- Setting out, levelling and surveying the site.
- Checking plans, drawings and quantities for accuracy of calculations.
- Ensuring that all materials used and work performed are as per specifications.
- Agreeing a price for materials, and making cost-effective solutions and proposals for the intended project.
- Managing, monitoring and interpreting the contract design documents.
- Develop and complete with standard memorandum of understanding between the targeted communities and the implementing stakeholders such SCI and Local authorities that clearly identifies the roles and responsibilities of each party.
- Perform any other relevant duties as instructed by the Construction Engineer, PMs and Senior management of the organisation.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
Creates a managerial environment to lead, enable and maintain our culture of child safeguarding
Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally.
Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
Cuts away bureaucracy and encourages an entrepreneurial approach
Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence
SAVE THE CHILDREN
Displays consistent excellent judgement
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
A BSc/BA/BEng in construction engineering, Water Engineering, or a related subject with equivalent field experience.
Significant technical experience working in a development/emergency response contexts.
Previous experience of Education/WASH project management, implementing within agreed timescales and budget limitations.
Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability in a Somaliland context.
Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation.
Experience of training and capacity building activities.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from any form of abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Interested candidates are required to send CV and Cover letter to
Applications will close on Wednesday 11 September @ 3:30PM.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer. Women are strongly encouraged to apply