Assistant Finance Officer (or Cashier)
Position Title: Assistant Finance Officer (or Cashier)
Duty station: Mogadishu
Position Category: Full Time
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Mogadishu, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance. The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively
[Describe overview of job missioGENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Deputy Finance Manager and Finance Manager, the Assistant Finance Officer will assist in the processing and recording of payment transactions in timely and accurate manner.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintain custody of the office cash fund and make daily payments of approved transactions
- Prepare cash payment vouchers and ensure that all cash transactions are fully and properly documented
- Review expense reports (travel expense reports and operational expense reports) for accuracy and completeness and ensure that expense reports have been fully approved before payment
- Perform daily cash count with the Finance Officer
- Record payment vouchers daily in the cash sub journal
- Maintain the un cleared cash advance file and prepare past due advance report for the Finance Manager
- Prepare checks or wire transfer requests based on fully approved documents and present to approved check-signers for review and signature.
- Prepare bank payment vouchers and ensure that all bank transactions are properly and fully documented
- Record payment vouchers daily in the bank sub journal
- Prepare photocopies of vouchers and other supporting documents as required for the monthly reporting package to HQ Finance
- File all cash and bank vouchers and maintain voucher filing system such that files are updated, complete and safeguarded
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Deputy Finance Manager
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: All finance staff, Program staff, Operation Staff
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Two or more years of bookkeeping, banking or cashiering experience
- A degree in accounting or a relevant business field is desirable.
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Accuracy in the processing of cash transactions, mathematical aptitude and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written English skills
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications should submit their CV and Motivation letter attached as one to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than October 10th 2019. Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted for Interview. Please indicate the title of the position in the subject line and any incomplete applications will be disregarded.