ASSISTANT ICT MANAGER
ASSISTANT ICT MANAGER
CARE International is a humanitarian aid organization fighting global poverty, with a special focus on working with women and girls to bring lasting change to their communities. As a non-religious and non-political organization, CARE works with communities to help overcome poverty by supporting development projects and providing emergency relief. We believe supporting women and girls is one of the most effective ways to create sustainable outcomes in poor communities.We invite applications from experienced and talented individuals for the position of Assistant ICT Manager based in Hargeisa with travels to the other field sites.
- JOB SUMMARY
The main purpose of this position is to manage all aspects of Information Communication Technology (ICT) of CARE International Somaliland Country Office, under the supervision of the ICT Manager. The Assistant ICT Manager has overall management responsibility for the supervision of ICT function to ensure that appropriate technical support is available for software, hardware and communications services. The incumbent works closely with the other Programme Support and Programs staff in Somalia/Somaliland to achieve the strategic and operational goals of the organization. Supervises guides and directs a team of ICT personnel Somaliland in the execution and support of CARE Somalia’s ICT function. This position is responsible for effective budgeting, planning, scheduling, prioritization, operations, resource management and staff development.
- RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS (KNOW-HOW)
Human Relations Skills – Important
Managerial Know-How – Important
Specialized Know-How – Expert – Seasoned Specialized
- ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Result Area 1 – Staff Management
- Manage and monitor performance of ICT staff in the country office and coordinate their annual and mid-year performance activities, including preparation of staff IOP and APAA.
- Provide support through coaching, mentoring and training opportunities to ICT staff to enable them meet challenging performance objectives. Identify opportunities for development and recommend training
Result Area 2 – ICT
- Provide supervisory and advisory role to ICT unit, ensuring that there are ICT policies and systems that meet donor requirements and organization’s policies.
- In collaboration with the Programme support Director, identify appropriate ICT management tools and resources required and ensure that the unit is appropriately resourced to be efficient and effective.
- In collaboration with Procurement, manage ICT vendors ensuring efficiency and value for money from services and supplies received.
- In collaboration with the ICT Manager, identify areas to improve data security and privacy, as it relates to employee, donor or beneficiary data stored by CARE Somalia.
- In collaboration with CARE USA, manage CARE Somalia e-mail accounts ensuring that e-mails function effectively and efficiently to support the business.
- In collaboration with CARE USA and following organizational and industry best practices and standards, manage Internet, Hardware and Software Applications and its performance to support business operations.
- In collaboration with ICT Manager, prepare annual ICT plan that ensures proactive support on ICT including data backup and archiving, proactive maintenance of hardware and software to ensure industry best practices are implemented at a cost efficient way.
- Maintain documentation on network infrastructure, custom applications and interfaces that the ICT team implements and supports.
- Manage a change management control process to ensure systems changes are properly documented and approved.
- Prepare and submit monthly ICT management report to ICT Manager.
- Ensure proper understanding and adherence to donor and CARE rules and regulations in all offices and that all ICT processes are professionally documented, have complete and accurate support documentation and are appropriately filed.
- Recommend and/or provide training to end users on appropriate computing or office productivity software, e.g. Microsoft Office.
- Keep abreast with legal procedures and obligations, and always maintain current knowledge of government requirements relating to ICT and ensure compliance with the law.
- Advise on the technical specification relating to the development or procurement of new information systems or ICT infrastructure, developing from Country Office Business Cases if appropriate.
- Manage contracts with external suppliers/vendors relating to ICT.
- Ensure sound Business Continuity and Risk Mitigation measures are in place to effectively protect the organizational data and other ICT assets.
- Manage and maintain inventory of all IT assets (hardware and software)
Result Area 3 – General Responsibilities
- In conjunction with ICT Manager manage and maintain the department’s budget and expenditures, clearly identifying potential growth requirements.
- Keep abreast with legal procedures and obligations, and always maintain current knowledge of government requirements relating to ICT and ensure the organization’s compliance with the law.
- Any other duties as assigned by the ICT Manager.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS (MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS)
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field (Business Information Technology) or equivalent.
- Relevant professional qualification in ICT and (ITIL, MCSA/E, CCNA, IMIS qualification or equivalent)
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
- At least 2 years of ICT experience with international NGOs
Technical skills & Core Competencies
- One or more specific network certifications (e.g., MCSE, CCNA, or CCNP)
- Experience implementing and monitoring enterprise LAN and WAN, including configuration of router, switch, and security policies and procedures
- Experience monitoring and analyzing security risks, implementing multi-layer security architectures, and assisting in monitoring network security
- Excellent knowledge of Windows Server 2008 or above
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and technical writing skills, specifically an ability to properly create and read network cabling diagrams
- Mastery of established IT industry network analysis tools, infrastructure tools, methodologies, and best practices
- Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Experience in the development and implementation of IT Policies, Processes, and Procedures
Knowledge of ITIL Foundations, and the concepts, processes, procedures and controls for assigned focus areas
- Experience providing leadership, management and technical expertise to diverse technical staff
- Experience managing geographically dispersed teams and projects in a matrixed environment
- Grasp of Donor policies and procedures relevant to ICT
- Knowledge of local markets and Local ICT regulations. Be able to understand internal and external statutory laws that affect ICT
- Ability to plan effectively, make strategic decision for his/ her unit and problem solving skills.
- Honest, of high integrity and of positive attitude
- Experience in Coaching and Mentoring
- Good Client Partnership and Stakeholder Management skills
- Strong Problem Solving and Critical Thinking skills demonstrated through innovative solutions to complex issues
- Experience in business continuity and disaster recovery strategy development, planning, testing and execution
- Experience with Commercial hardware/software evaluation and implementation
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Analytical, interpretive, evaluative, and/or constructive thinking.
- Excellent negotiating, communication skills: skilful and creating relationships at government level and other organisations or offices.
- High degree of intuition leveraging knowledge and years of experience in determining what needs to be done in applying broad ICT policies and the best means to achieve these goals while balancing long- and short-term strategies.
- Able to develop alternative approaches and balance strengths, limitations, and probable consequences before taking decisions.
- Ability to take initiative where appropriate to deal with difficulties encountered in daily work
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing demands of the job.
- Overall reports and is accountable to the Program Support Director
- Program Support and Finance staff
- Country Office Program Staff
- ECSA RO Staff
- CARE USA IT department
- ICT Vendors
- Other organisations
- Other ICT Leads in the ECSA region
- ICT Networks (IAWG ICT Forum, NetHope & Other Cluster Groups)
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV to SOMRecruitment@care.org by May 24, 2019. Kindly indicate“Assistant ICT Manager – Hargeisa”on the subject line when applying. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.