Assistant Procurement Officer
Assistant Procurement Officer
CARE International is an international NGO working in Somalia/Somaliland. CARE and its partners work with vulnerable communities to address the underlying causes of poverty and promote peace and development, as well as mitigating immediate suffering caused by drought, conflict and displacement. We invite applications from experienced and talented individuals for the position ofAssistant Procurement Officer based in Burao.
The main purpose of this position is to assist the Procurement Officer manage all aspects of Procurement under the direct supervision of the Procurement Officer. The responsibilities include procurement relating issues. The position is to provide efficient, quality and timely support services within the remit of this job.
The incumbent works closely with the other program and support staff in Burao Office to achieve the operational goals of the organization and ensure compliance with CARE USA and Donor rules and regulations in the above areas.
- Specific Responsibilities
- Ensure proper understanding and adherence to donor and CARE rules and regulations and that all procurement documents are completed timely and have sufficient and accurate supporting documentation.
- Support the office and program teams to prepare procurement plans and forecasts.
- Manage procurement requests from individuals and projects in a timely, expeditious and effective manner, ensuring that these are, duly approved, provided for in budgets, correctly described and coded and in compliance with CARE and donor policies and procedures
- Maintain an updated and active vendor (approved) database at all times and periodically, through the tender committee, review the list and facilitate its approval.
- Participate in procurement committee activities and meetings and act as the Secretary of the Tender Committee, ensuring that the deliberations of such activities are well documented and in compliance with CARE and donor regulations.
- Ensure that each undertaken procurement is fully documented, in compliance with donor/CARE requirements, particularly those of ECHO, USAID, EC, BMZ and MOFA and documents are appropriately filed and safeguarded. Under the direction of the office, work to ensure that there is full compliance to Anti-Terrorism policy with regards to all procurements and deliveries made in CARE.
- Facilitate and undertake, as required, staff capacity building on procurement processes and procedures in all offices.
- Liaise with Finance to ensure timely payment of vendors as per agreement/contract terms
- As may be required, work with the Senior Partnership and Sub-Grant Officer to train partners on prudent procurement processes and principles as well as applicable donor regulations
- Update periodically, the Procurement & Admin Manager on procurement statuses and progress.
- GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Any other duties as assigned by the Procurement Officer and Head of Office
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelors Degree/Diploma in Administration or Procurement and Logistics management
- At least two years experience and exposure to administration and logistics environment in a similar setting. Working experience with International NGOs is a plus.
3.3 Technical Skills and Core Competencies
- Thorough understanding of the emerging legal environment in Somaliland
- Excellent analytical, negotiating, communication skills: skilful and creating relationships at government level
- Initiative and problem solving skills
- Honest, diplomatic and of positive attitude
- Ability to take initiative where appropriate to deal with difficulties encountered in daily work
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing demands of the job
- Knowledge of Somaliland workings and contacts
- INTERNAL CONTACTS
- Overall reports and is accountable to the Procurement & Admin Manager
- Program support staff – Hargeisa, Burao, Erigavo, Bosao, Garowe, and Nairobi
- Country Office Program Staff
- EXTERNAL CONTACTS
- Government Agencies
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV to email@example.com by July17th, 2018. Kindly indicate Assistant Procurement Officeron the subject line when applying. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.