ASSOCIATE ELECTORAL OFFICER
UNITED NATIONS ASSISTANCE MISSION IN SOMALIA (UNSOM)
UNITED NATIONS CORE VALUES: INTEGRITY, PROFESSIONALISM, RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO SOMALI NATIONALS ONLY AND DOES NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL BENEFITS
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 25 MARCH 2019
DATE OF ISSUANCE: 24 FEBRUARY 2019
FUNCTIONAL TITLE: ASSOCIATE ELECTORAL OFFICER
SECTION: INTEGRATED ELECTORAL SUPPORT OFFICE (IESG)
DURATION OF CONTRACT: ONE (1) YEAR FIXED TERM
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER : UNSOM/IESG/ 009/2019/SM
This position is based in Dhusamareb and is funded for an initial period of one year and may be subject to extension. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred in relation to this appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
This position is located within the United Nations Assistance Mission in Somalia (UNSOM) and is based in Dushamareb. The incumbent will report to the Electoral Officer and will be focusing on Public Outreach and Civic/Voter Education.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Within delegated authority, the Associate Electoral Officer will be responsible for the following:
- Provides advice and contributes to the capacity building of counterpart(s) in the national electoral authorities, including assisting in the establishment and management of field offices using national experience of country’s culture and language.
- In consultation with the supervisor, implements programs in the following areas, as required:
Electoral Training, Capacity Building, Civic/Voter education, External Relations, Electoral Legal, Electoral Procedures, Electoral Operations, Electoral Logistics, Electoral Security, Electoral IT
Development, and/or Voter Registration.
- Assists in addressing policy guidance, logistics, and other electoral needs in a timely manner.
- Contributes to compiling periodic reports to Headquarters on electoral and political developments in the assigned area of responsibility in close collaboration with political, civil affairs and human rights officers; compiles a regular report to the Chief Electoral Officer on major electoral developments and issues in the field, including immediate and longer term problems.
- Assists national electoral authorities in managing the flow of information between their HQ and field offices direct clients.
- Implements electoral operations in the assigned area of responsibility, as directed by the supervisor and in close coordination with relevant entities on the ground.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Professionalism: Sound understanding of and experience in dealing with national authorities, political and civil society organizations, media and strong analytical skills to integrate diverse information from various sources and demonstrate understanding of Somalia political issues assessing risks and opportunities.Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
- Team Work: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Education: Advanced university degree (master’s Degree or equivalent) in Political Science, International Relations, Law, Public Administration or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
A minimum of one (01) year of progressively responsible experience in, elections and related areas (such as public administration, education, advocacy, journalism, media production) is required. Experience in managing teams/projects in an international/non-governmental organization, public departments, agencies, media, social, education sector or United Nations electoral experience is desirable.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English and Somali (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
|Assessment: Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment which will be followed by a competency-based interview.|
Candidates who are not selected, but whose performance in the interview process nevertheless demonstrated them to be suitable for a similar function may be kept on a roster for up to seven years. Candidates placed on the roster may be considered for selection against future vacancies for the same function and level.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History form (P.11) to the address mentioned below on or before the deadline. The P.11 is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs. Applications submitted after the deadline 25 March 2019 will not be accepted. Curriculum Vitaes (CVs) will not be accepted.
Please quote, Vacancy Announcement Number and Functional Title in the subject of the e-mail.
Kindly attach a copy of P11 form, Academic Certificates, Passport and or National Identification Card. These are required as part of your application for consideration of eligibilty. Please note Criminal Investigation Department (CID) and National Intelligence and Security Agency (NISA) certificates are required at a later stage of the recruitment process.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).
- Posted by: Somali Jobs Inc
- Company: UNITED NATIONS ASSISTANCE MISSION IN SOMALIA (UNSOM)
- Location: Anywhere
- State: Dhusamareb
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Management/Leadership
- Tags: No Tags
974 total views, 1 today