Audit and Compliance Coordinator
|JOB TITLE: Audit and Compliance Coordinator|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Internal Audit, Compliance and Risk||LOCATION: Mogadishu (Covering southern states)|
|GRADE: 3||TYPE OF CONTRACT:
|CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people|
The purpose for this post is to ensure that Save the Children Somalia/Somaliland adheres to all its grant management obligations internally within Save the Children and externally with donors. The post holder will be responsible for performing a thorough review and audit of all area offices. This include; documentations (payment documentations, finance, HR, logistics and program documentations), as well as those from partners for adequacy of supporting documentations, accuracy of coding, accountability and compliance with applicable donor conditions and SCI policies & procedures, in country statutory regulations and recommend necessary improvements on monthly basis. The post holder will pay particular attention to payments documentations to ensure that all original documents and support for payments are attached, and applicable budget holder limits have been observed. The post holder will prepare a report on a monthly basis of the findings and recommendations for submission to the Internal Audit Manager. S/he will work together with Finance and other support staff to build capacity of staff both at the Area Office and Sub-office level; participates in developing audit tools
| SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Internal Audit Manager
Dimensions: Save the Children operates across all zones in Somalia and currently has three main area offices and additional 14 field offices. Programmatically Somalia is a large Country Office with more than $85 million annual budget turnover, more than 70 active awards at any time and over 550 staff.
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Conduct operational, financial and compliance audits of Operation departments, Program and Local NGOs to evaluate the effectiveness of internal controls, risk management system. Determine compliance with policies, procedures, regulations and donor requirements. Make written recommendations to management to increase efficiency and/or effectiveness of the internal control systems of functions reviewed. Perform special investigations or provide technical support as requested by the management. This position works closely with all level of employees and PNGOs staff, other auditors, external auditor.
· Participate in preparation of CO annual audit work plan using an appropriate risk-based methodology, including any risks or control concerns or compliance issues identified on monitoring (finance, program), region. Work plans will address both special needs as well as prioritize areas based on the key risks identified through the risk assessment process.
· Conduct the following internal audit reviews as per the annual plan;
Periodic reviews- conducted every 4 months at Area office level
Sub office reviews
Monthly spot checks at Area level office level
· The audit plan will include audit of departments of CO e.g. Finance, Human Resource, Awards and logistics etc.
· Provide coverage updates on bi-monthly to Audit Manager on the progress
· Ensures that accepted accounting and audit principles and policies are followed, and evaluates the adequacy and effectiveness of internal accounting procedures and operating systems and controls and recommends for better systems through conducting periodic audits, reviews and other assignments including partner audits and reviews as planned, and provide to Internal Auditor and Compliance Manager with draft reports and recommendations for improvements on timely basis
· Monitor action plans activity, update action plan tracker and submit to line manager every month.
· Ensure that the audit and compliance requirements of Save the Children Managing member, participating members and donors are adhered to.
· Review of cash transfer beneficiary selection process documents to ensure that the process adheres to the set criteria
Fraud and Risk Management
· Act as lead investigator during the investigation process of reported fraud allegations
· Prepare excellent investigation reports with recommendations on actions to be taken if any and share with the Internal Audit Manager
· Conduct fraud awareness sessions for new staff
· Conduct refresher session for existing staff, partners’ staff, community volunteers and government staff once a year
· Work closely with the Area Representative in updating the Risk Register on a quarterly basis
· Escalate fraud related issues reported at area level to the management for action
· Identify capacity building gaps for the partner during partner reviews
· Work closely with other departments to ensure that capacity building for partners is conducted based on the issues raised during the internal reviews
· Work closely with the area Awards management team to ensure that external audit findings are incorporated in the internal reviews
· Support Global Assurance audits as required
Any other duties as assigned by the Internal Audit Manager
|COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
Developing Self and Others (Skilled level)
– Shows awareness of their strengths and limitations and actively takes responsibility for their development
– Seeks out feedback to understand their areas for improvement
– Actively shares knowledge and experiences with others
Applying technical and professional expertise (Skilled level)
– Delivers work that reflects good knowledge and application of technical and professional standards
– Keeps up to date with trends in their work area
– Maintains ethical and professional behaviour in accordance with relevant codes of conduct
Problem Solving and decision making (Skilled level)
– Gathers the right information and uses critical thinking to make effective and timely decisions
– Stays with a problem or challenge until a solution is reached or no longer reasonably attainable.
– Knows when to involve others in a decision
– Demonstrates awareness of the wider external influences that impact on decision making
– Simplifies processes and procedures wherever possible
Working effectively with others (Skilled level)
– Actively listens to new and different perspectives and experiences of those they work with
– Proactively supports team members and trusts their capabilities
– Demonstrates understanding of their skills and how they complement those of others within diverse teams and groups
– Clarifies their role and responsibilities within the team to maximize impact
|QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE Essential:
Required Qualifications and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in an area of Commerce, accounting or Business administration or related field relevant to the position requirements
· Knowledge of awards and contracts regulations and reporting requirements of major donors such as EU, DFID, ECHO, UN agencies, DANIDA.
· Experience of managing awards, cooperative agreements and contracts for major donors.
· English/Somali Language Fluency
· Practice knowledge of financial accounting &management and auditing
· Have a basic knowledge of sectorial programming and log frames
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to explain complex issues to both staff and peers.
· Ability to manage a complex and varied workload; to work effectively under pressure; and to organize and priorities work to ensure deadlines are met.
· An energetic, flexible and proactive approach with the ability to work both independently and cooperatively within a team setting
· Strong team working skills and ability to develop and maintain effective working relations at all levels both within and outside the team.
· Ability to challenge and negotiate assertively and cooperatively with senior staff.
· Proven ability to handle challenging work load with minimum motivation
· Cross-cultural experience, understanding and sensitivity;
· Excellent interpersonal and written and oral communication skills;
· Commitment to Save the Children values
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document. To apply the position, please visit our website at the below link
|Date of issue: April 2019 Author : EM|