Banana Value Chain Specialist -Mogadishu
|Title:Banana Value Chain Specialist
|Location:Mogadishu Somalia, (with regional travel to lower Juba, Lower Shabelle and Middle shabelle Somalia)||Duration:1 year (Renewable)|
Growth, Enterprise, Employment & Livelihoods (GEEL) is USAID-funded project designed to promote and facilitate inclusive economic growth in Somalia. The project is currently focusing on the agricultural sector (livestock, fisheries & horticulture) with particular and increased focus on integration of youth and women in the value chains with emphasis on expanding and incentiving youth led enterprises through skills development and enterprise and workforce development.It will also seek to strengthen the business enabling environment through improving access to finance, policy and regulation, and business development services. Particular focus will be given to increase the participation of women and youth in the economy as entrepreneurs, employers, and employees.
The Selected candidate will support the implementation of GEEL’s banana value chain activities as per plan. She/he will assist the Agricultural Value Chain Specialist with field data and information, will work with farmers, traders and exporters on site and will liaise with contractors in trials, trainings, demonstration and fields. She/he will train enumerators, validate the data, analyze the data and write reports.
Banana Value Chain Specialist General Responsibilities:
The Banana Value Chain specialist will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Facilitate banana competitiveness platforms by preparing technical presentations, identifying participants, preparing the venue and coordination of the meetings.
- Identify the big banana growers, brokers, wholesalers and exporters. That will help us differentiate commercial farmers from the subsistence farmers and tailor assistance accordingly.
- Prepare intervention mapping and cluster mapping
- Organize commercial farmers training sessions in the banana growing areas.
- Provide technical facilitation and support to farmers on Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) and new technologies.
- Coordinate with selected contractors in conducting trials and demonstration plots.
- Provide technical advice in market information, vet grant recipients and assess the impact of the economic infrastructure needs for the banana value chain.
- Explore banana packaging centers in lower Shabelle and lower Juba and assess the need for more cleaning and packaging centers.
- Study the agro-dealer market and identify the existing gaps.
- Review donor interventions with a focus on long term sustainability and success of interventions undertaken.
- Explore ideas and opportunities for development of innovative business models such as agribusiness dealers and networks, and leasing, among others.
- Assess irrigation requirement and recommend a new water saving technologies like sprinkler and drip systems.
- Perform any other assigned task by the Team Leader and his designees.
The Banana Value Chain specialist will report to the Agriculture, Resilience Team Leader and work closely with the Agriculture Value Chain Specialist.
- Bachelor’s Degree in agriculture or related field
- Experience in working on Agriculture related Value chain in particular focus with agribusiness, and large commercial farms.
- Prior experience (2- 3 years) in agricultural value chain development, preferably in Banana sector.
- Knowledge of good agricultural practices (GAP) as it relates to banana sector.
- Strong organizational and communication skills, and the ability to perform effectively within aggressive deadlines;
- Ability to prioritize and be persistent in follow-through;
- Hard-working, self-motivated and possess a positive attitude.
- Excellent oral, writing English and Somali languages
- Willingness to travel inside Somalia –all regions.
- Able to work outdoors when conducting trails, farmer trainings and demonstration plots.
How to apply:
Interested applicants can submit their current CV and cover letter to Jobs@sogeel.organd write Banana Value Chain Specialist as the email subject.
Deadline by 8th December 2019
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
958 total views, 1 today