ACTED JOB OPPORTUNITY
CHIEF ENGINEER –HARGEISA
Position: Chief Engineer
Department: Project Implementation Unit
Direct hierarchy: WASH & Infrastructure Technical Coordinator
Contract duration: Fixed
Location: Hargeisa with frequent travel to Kenya and Uganda
Starting date: August 2019
- Background on ACTED
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill Chief Engineerposition in Hargeisa.
- Position Profile
Under the supervision of the WASH & Infrastructure Technical Coordinator, the Chief Engineer is responsible for the implementation of all technical programmes/interventions undertaken by ACTED either sub-contracted or through CFW/daily labour, matching with ACTED’s quality criteria and strategy.
- Duties and Responsibilities
- Project Implementation, Planning and Follow Up:
- Assist WASH team to draft SoPs for Programme activities
- Ensure that planned activities are successfully implemented according to ACTED’s quality standards and SoPs;
- In collaboration with the programme team and coordination, determine the strategic direction of the programme in the short and medium term and map out activities, and contribute to the preparation of project proposals and budgets as necessary;
- Prepare Bills of Quantities and Designs as required by programmes.
- Complete technical designs, assessments, and reports according to Engineering Principles
- Collaborate effectively with other line managers and the coordination team;
- Manage the WASH programme team. Ensure that they are wholly involved in programme planning and direction;
- Collaborate with the Appraisal, Monitoring and Evaluation Unit (AMEU) to assess need, monitor activities, and evaluate programme progress. Ensure that lessons learned in the course of implementation are integrated into the programme to ensure that it remains responsive and relevant;
- Provide input and regularly review all FLAT Follow-Up for ongoing programmes together with the relevant department manager and Programme Coordinator;
- Be alert to opportunities arising for learning, collaboration and partnership that may enhance programme quality and responsiveness;
- Provide relevant technical expertise/guidance to ensure that technical quality and standards are maintained during project implementation;
- Identify and interact with existing WASH initiatives in the base, including UN, GO’s and NGO’s, and community initiatives;
- Develop and implement an exit strategy in collaboration with his/her team, AME unit and the Project Manager;
- Liaise with the relevant Technical Working Group / Cluster and its participants/ partners;
- Translate relevant documents or information during coordination and field visits;
- Develop team capacity at both the individual and group level by organising/ facilitating trainings internally or through specialist agencies / individuals;
- Facilitate trainings or programme coordination meetings by translating and/or leading discussions.
- Work proactively to ensure that the projects are responsive and relevant to community needs;
- Supervise Daily labour/sub-contractors hired to support with the WASH activities;
- Submit accurate and detailed reports on assistance provided to beneficiary and technical activities conducted;
- Assist in building positive relations with local authorities and external actors to grant access to beneficiaries and coordinate on the use of public sites and infrastructures;
- Under supervision of the TC, forecast and prepare technical assessment and activities, triggering the commodities request to the relevant departments (e.g. logistics) if necessary;
- Be responsible for the management of technical officers and for ensuring that all field teams are comprehensively briefed on the objective, expected output and overall implementation strategy of any given activity;
- Ensure that technical officers and other project/field staff are given training and complete all the necessary documentation in line with programme requirements.
- Support with capacity building, particularly of the CfW staff
- Project Support
- Support with surveying of beneficiaries and others when needed;
- Support with data analysis and reporting;
- Support the TC in the preparation of reports to be submitted to Donors / Authorities / Coordination bodies (i.e. OCHA / Internal Coordination). He/she will be expected to provide reports covering activity implementation, achievement of objectives, successes / challenges, beneficiary feedback, etc;
- Provide regular reports to the TC on the progress of the implementation of activities and on observations made during the mission and collaborate closely with the AME unit as part of monitoring and evaluation activities;
- To process data and information from field – in particular ensure quality, consistency, accuracy, truthfulness, comprehensiveness of all collected data;
- To support assessment and monitoring staff to have an independent, open access to beneficiaries in order to collect complaints;
- To support in preparation of the monthly/weekly work plan schedules;
- To prepare all other report upon request by the Program Managers;
- Provide with suggestions on improvement of the work process as needed.
- To perform accurate filing of all processed documents, monthly consolidated filing of key project documents in the office;
- To prepare, on demand, summaries and reports of activities according to ACTED needs and reflecting the most accurate data of the activities developed;
- On close coordination with internal audit department, to assist on the final reporting of activities, including field verification of leftover stocks and identification of beneficiaries
- Ensure all relevant filing is properly organised, up-to-date and complete for all projects.
- Any other tasks as requested by the WASH and Infrastructure Technical Coordinator.
- Qualifications/Skills Required
Essential qualifications and experience:
- Completion of university Master’s Degree in civil engineering, architecture, urban planning, Structural or engineering
- Minimum four years of experience in international and/or local NGO; ideally involved in the direct implementation of field level humanitarian assistance to refugees or IDPs.
- Technical skills such as using AutoCAD, ArcGIS, ODK and Microsoft Office.
- Experience in community services, women empowerment, youth activities, protection, distribution or registration.
- Experience in working with national partners, local/government authorities, and UN organizations.
- Experience in creating shelters/small-medium scale infrastructure
Essential knowledge and skills:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and team-playing skills.
- Highly flexible, with the ability to use initiative.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values.
- Understanding of gender, protection and human rights.
- Commitment to promoting gender equality.
- Proficiency in English and local language, both oral and written.
- Managerial experience, including leading/supervising subordinate staff, organizing activities and report writing.
- Experience in training and capacity-building of staff.
- Preferable experience operating in a refugee/IDP camp environment.
- Knowledge of logistics and procurement processes.
- Application Procedure:
Qualified Somali National with the required skills and qualifications are invited to submit their detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document (i.e. the cover letter should be on the first page and the CV should start on the second page of the same document) to email@example.com and received on or before 13th August 2019 with the subject line “CHIEF ENGINEER – HARGEISA”. Applications sent after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behavior and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.