Child Safeguarding Officer- Somalia/Somaliland Country Office
- Job category: Refugee/Child Safeguarding
- Post date:20 Nov 2019
- Job expires in: Endless
- Share job:
Save The Children
|Child Safeguarding Officer- Somalia/Somaliland Country Office|
|GRADE: 4||POST TYPE: National
CONTRACT LENGTH: 12 Months
Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
Under the direct supervision of the National Child Safeguarding Coordinator, the Child Safeguarding Officer will support the Coordinator to meet the child safeguarding quality standards at the country office.
She/he is responsible for facilitating training, conducting project risk assessment, facilitate development of child friendly materials. She/he is also responsible for monitoring of the standard practices of sectors across all locations, reporting, maintaining data, share learning.
She/he will responsible in assisting the area office/sub field offices to ensure compliance is met. This will include:
§ Supporting child-safeguarding focal points on dissemination of safeguarding materials; develop guidance and review tools.
§ Support all staff to report child safeguarding concern within 24 hours
§ Supporting program team to develop risk assessment and risk mitigation plan for each project
§ Support program staff to mainstream safeguarding policy into the program activities
§ Assist partner to adopt and apply safeguarding policy and procedures
· Communicating “keeping children safe” messages for staff, partners, volunteers, incentive workers, beneficiaries and representatives of save the children.
|SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: National Child Safeguarding Coordinator
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
1. Deliver high quality, accessible and reliable support, guidance and capacity on child safeguarding to emergency/humanitarian response and programs team
2. Assist in organizing, facilitation of child safeguarding training for project volunteers, incentive workers, beneficiaries and partners.
3. Facilitate translation of material, editing and follow up of publication products.
4. Conduct risk assessment of sectors and partners in collaboration with sector heads and focal points of the country program.
5. Compile partners’ activity documents, analyze partners risk assessment result and support on identified gap.
6. Compile and develop Weekly Sitrep and monthly report of child safeguarding activities in coordination with focal points.
7. Facilitate induction/training for volunteers of humanitarian unit.
8. Assist sectors on reviewing of proposals on child safeguarding lenses for to ensure safe program is implemented.
9. Ensure local reporting structure is in place and update the focal points contacts at each region under her/his responsibilities.
10. Facilitate and compile mapping of service providers at all regions/districts and villages of area office to ensure reported cases are referred to relevant stakeholders.
11. Facilitate and conduct case follow up for CURE patients of sexual abuse/children, record the treatment status, write up case studies and develop report.
12. Facilitate children’s participation in the development of risk assessment, risk mitigation plan and child safeguarding code of conduct and input for the review of policy.
13. Identify potential risks to children in all the project activities including workshops and events, plan mitigating measures and assign staff to be responsible for the implementation
14. Participate in 2018 child safeguarding planning and take part on sharing responsibility
15. Assist the unit on delegation period for any request by the Area office team well as partners.
This is a repetition of points 9 and 10.Work closely with Human Resources Department to ensure that Job Descriptions clearly reflect the specific child safeguarding responsibilities of the respective post-holder, especially those in management positions
16. Make decisions or support the decision-making process in individual external reports of child safeguarding cases, in line with local child safeguarding procedures.
17. Liaise with external statutory agencies and their equivalents in non-statutory organisations regarding child safeguarding matters and child abuse cases
18. Identify and address training needs of staff in relation to keeping children safe.
19. Build and maintain relationships with partners and other organisations, including national statutory agencies, to promote the continuous development and monitoring of inter-agency child safeguarding practices.
20. Support or lead the inter-agency collection and management of information around the reported occurrence of child abuse and exploitation.
21. Ensure that the safeguarding mechanisms, are in place at each programme location and are subject to continuous monitoring/review.
22. Undertake clear, strong advocacy in line with the Child Safeguarding Policy at area office level
23. Establish Area office child safeguarding networks to champion local implementation at area office level
Safe programming and Child Safeguarding Practice promoted across the stationed area office
24. Ensure that all programming is designed, implemented and monitored through a Child Safeguarding lens
25. Support staff to take proactive steps to ensure that all programming activity identifies the potential risks and works to eliminate and mitigate those risks.
26. Ensure that the tools and knowledge is made available to managers and that they know how to access support and guidance
27. Support staff to identify potential risks to children in all project activities including workshops and events, plan mitigating measures and assign staff to be responsible for the implementation.
28. Make appropriate use of external opportunities to develop the Child Safeguarding Policy and practice them across the country office, drawing on these experiences to inform and refresh internal policy to ensure that country office maintains its position and standard.
29. Act as an ambassador for Child Safeguarding at all times
30. Role model high levels of professional safeguarding behaviour and maintain the standards required by the Child Safeguarding Policy and Code of Conduct
|SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
· Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
· Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Willing to take disciplined risks
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency
|QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Degree of qualification in social, Human Resource in recognized institutes or University.
· Experience in child protection/child safeguarding practice in humanitarian setting
· Leadership experience within an INGO or similar other organisation working with vulnerable communities and children or with similar experience within Save the Children.
· Experience of managing as well as undertaking complex child protection/safeguarding investigations and or disciplinary investigations
· Experience of building personal internal and external networks.
· Experience of planning and undertaking training programmes/workshops in child protection/safeguarding at a range of levels (e.g. field workers, managers, senior managers and decision makers)
· Have knowledge and experience of Save the children safeguarding policy and procedure including how to report an incident in Datix
· Excellent verbal communication and report writing skills in English and Somali language
· Excellent presentation skills
· Demonstrable commitment to Children’s Rights
· Self-sufficient, proactive self-motivating work styles
· Ability to prioritise and deal with competing demands
· Ability to provide long distance support and establish supportive relationships and networks
· Ability to deliver results against demanding timetables and in the face of competing demands
· Ability to travel and work within challenging environments
· Awareness of own strengths and weaknesses and evidence of commitment to self-managed personal development
· Evidence of professional expertise, personal development and learning in the field of child care
· Experience of working within hostile and challenging environments
· Experience of work related travel in challenging environments
· Experience on child safeguarding policy orientation and standard practices.
|Interested candidates are required to submit a CV and mandatory cover letter quoting the Job Title and on the subject line to the below link
Applications close on 28th Nov 2019
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1907 total views, 2 today