Communication Advisor for the National Independent Election Commission (NIEC)
Somalia BUILD Project
Job Title: Communication Advisor for the National Independent Election Commission (NIEC)
Position Location: BUILD Project,Mogadishu, Somalia
Creative Associates International Inc. is a dynamic and fast-growing professional services firm that specializes in international development in the areas of education, democratic transitions and stabilization in post-conflict environments. Based in Washington, DC, the firm has a field presence in 20 countries worldwide with a strong and diverse portfolio that includes global contracts with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and other clients including the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Defense. The firm has earned a solid reputation among its clients and missions worldwide and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is located in Mogadishu, Somalia. The successful applicant must be a Somalia national and have the right to work in Somalia. No relocation or similar expenses will be paid by Creative Associates.
The Bringing Unity, Integrity and Legitimacy to Democracy (BUILD) project aims to support electoral and political processes in Somalia by developing the capacity of governmental actors to design and administer electoral processes and by fostering increased citizen and media participation and oversight of the democratic process.
In regard to Somalia, BUILD will work to develop the capacity of the NIEC in the design, development and implementation of electoral processes leading to credible one-person-one-vote elections scheduled for 2020. The Communication Advisor will be supported in the delivery of their role by a BUILD International Communication Expert
Contract duration: 6 Months with a possible extension.
Position Start Date: Immediate
The Communication Advisor under the direct supervision of the Director of Outreach and Communication of NIEC works in close collaboration with all NIEC departments and BUILD staff to successfully design, develop and deliver communication, preparation of voter education materials and messages as well as training materials during the whole electoral cycle
- Support ongoing communication needs including development/review of materials and implementation of communication and dissemination of information.
- Contribute to the design of a voter education strategy and manage its implementation with the NIEC Communication and Voter Education Strategy.
- Advising in the develop and dissemination of all outreach materials and elections products (including folders, flyers, bumper stickers, banners, fact sheets, newsletters, blog entries, tweets, brochures, website, social media platforms, video, PSAs and other corporate identity materials) for broadcast and print media to electoral stakeholders
- Helping to establish relations with the media;
- Assist in continuous assessment of civic education activities.
- Provides weekly reports to the BUILD, through the BUILD Communication Expert on the development of procedures, strategies and plans for training and progress with the implementation of these plans.
- Carries out any other electoral tasks at the request of the Director of Outreach and Communication Director and the BUILD Elections Technical Advisor
The Communication Advisor will report on a day-to-day basis with the NIEC Director of Outreach and Communication. Will also provide a weekly written report to BUILD
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of NIEC and BUILD
- High degree of personal initiative and willingness to accept a wide range of responsibilities;
- Demonstrated effectiveness in developing communication strategies, dissemination of information to wide range of audience and training materials and strategies
- Ability to provide technical advice to the NIEC leadership
- Excellent communication (spoken, written and presentational) skills, including ability to present sensitive issues /positions, write reports, comfortable with public speaking
- Ability to manage information sharing and partnership alliances between institutions and the public.
Planning and Organizing:
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills and ability to coordinate the work of others, work to tight deadlines and handle multiple concurrent projects/activities.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Promote knowledge management in NIEC and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 7 years of relevant and progressively responsible professional experience in communication, outreach, marketing.
- Must be able to work effectively in a politically sensitive environment and exercise discretion, impartiality and neutrality.
- Proven ability to plan and ensure targets are met.
- Experience and ability to work under pressure and within limited timeframes.
- Excellent communication, planning and interpersonal skill.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of designing software, video editing.
- Degree in Public Information, Mass Communication, Journalism or anyother relevant or equivalent professional experience. A Master’s degree from an accredited university is preferred
- Fluent in English and Somali (written and spoken)
How to apply:
Send electronic submissions of updated resumes & cover letter to email@example.com before 5 PM on October 15, 2019. Please include the Job Title in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.