Communication Officer (2 Positions)
Health Poverty Action (HPA) formerly Known as Health Unlimited works with some of the poorest and most marginalized communities in Africa, Asia and Latin America, often in very difficult environments. We work to enable these communities to achieve improvements to their health, promoting this as one of their fundamental human rights.Spanning almost a quarter of a century; Health Poverty Action’s work has grown to include programmes in 14 countries across Africa, Asia and Latin America (with more currently in development). We always prioritise the most poor and the most marginalised – those neglected by governments and almost everyone else. This has led us to work in some very difficult environments, often providing the only external assistance.
HPA Somaliland seeks to recruit competent and dynamic professionals for the positions of Communication Officer The position are based in HPA Berbera office with frequent travel to project sites within the Sahil region as detailed bellow;
- Position: Communication Officer (2 Positions)
Duration: 6 Months
Duty Station: Berbera with frequent field travel within Sahil region
Reporting to: Programme Manager
We are looking to hire dedicated Communications Officers to join our team. They will support our internal and external communications strategy, write and disseminate publicity material, respond to inquiries from the public and media, and coordinate promotional events.General Specialist Responsibilities Include:
- Developing effective corporate communication strategies
- Managing internal and external communications (memos, newsletters etc.)
- Drafting content (e.g. press releases) for mass media or organizational website
- Promoting a positive public image and control the dissemination of information on our organization’s behalf.
- Proficiency in design and publishing software.
- Collaborate with management to develop and implement an effective communications strategy based on our target audience.
- Write, edit, and distribute content, including publications, press releases, website content, annual reports, speeches, and other marketing material that communicates the organization’s activities, products and/or services.
- Develop and produce high-quality, informative, and interesting press releases, press kits, and related materialsfor social media, websites, newsletters, press releases and any other distribution channels
- Manage internal communications (memos, newsletters etc.) and Organize initiatives and plan events or press conferences
- Respond to media inquiries, arrange interviews, and act as a spokesperson for the organization.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with journalists, and maintain a media database.
- Seek opportunities to enhance the reputation of the brand, and coordinate publicity events as required.
- Maintain records of media coverage and collate analytics and metrics.
- Collaborate with marketing professionals to produce copy for advertisements or articles
- Perform “damage control” in cases of bad publicity
- Facilitate the resolution of disputes with the public or external vendors and Manage conflict as it arises and escalate to management.
- Ensure all messaging aligns with key business strategies
- Create presentations, articles, reports, and information for internal use.
- Develop or commission content research as needed
- Brainstorm and collaborate with teams for new ideas and strategies
- Work with PM and team to coordinate budgets, deadlines, objectives, and schedules
- Develop weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual media activity reports
- Develop strategies for current and existing activities, launches, and promotions
- Identify media and press opportunities
Other tasks include:
- Planning publicity strategies and campaigns
- Writing and producing presentations and press releases
- Dealing with enquiries from the public, the press, and related organizations
- Organizing and attending promotional events such as press conferences, open days, exhibitions, tours and visits
- Speaking publicly at interviews, press conferences and presentations
- Providing clients with information about new promotional opportunities and current PR campaigns progress
- Analyzing media coverage
- Commissioning or undertaking relevant research
- Liaising with clients, managerial and journalistic staff about budgets, timescales and objectives
Required Qualifications& Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, journalism, business, or related field
- At least 5 years of experience in communications, PR, or related role
- Experience with technologies and best practices for campaigns across multiple platforms
- Knowledge of desktop publishing software (InDesign/Photoshop); MS Office; photo and video-editing software is an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong copywriting and content creation skills
- Ability to multitask and monitor several projects and accounts on a daily basis
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage time effectively
- Ability to take initiative to develop new strategies and outside-the-box ideas for social media.
- Excellent media relations skills
- Ability to work independently or in a team
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, content management systems, and social media platforms, web design and content production is a plus.
- Experience in copywriting and editing
- Solid understanding of project management principles and outstanding organizational and planning abilities
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and presentation skills with proficient command of English
How to Apply (NB- Please do not apply if you cannot follow these simple instructions);
All Applications should be addressed to: The HR-HPA
Please send an Updated CV and cover letter to: email@example.com indicating full contact details of at least 3 professional referees.
Please Quote “PPS-HPA-DEC-2018” and the Position you are applying for in the Subject line of your email.
Only applications sent by email will be accepted.
These are national positions. We strongly encourage female candidates to apply for these positions.
Deadline for Submission: Thursday 27th December 2018 at 5.00 PM. Applications submitted after this deadline will not be accepted.
We regret that only Shortlisted Applicants will be contacted for interviews.