Somalia BUILD Project
Job Title: Communication Officer
Position Location: BUILD Project,Mogadishu, Somalia
Creative Associates International Inc. is a dynamic and fast-growing professional services firm that specializes in international development in the areas of education, democratic transitions and stabilization in post-conflict environments. Based in Washington, DC, the firm has a field presence in 20 countries worldwide with a strong and diverse portfolio that includes global contracts with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and other clients including the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Defense. The firm has earned a solid reputation among its clients and missions worldwide and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is located in Mogadishu, Somalia. The successful applicant must be a Somalia national and have the right to work in Somalia. No relocation or similar expenses will be paid by Creative.
TheBringing Unity, Integrity and Legitimacy to Democracy (BUILD) project aims to support electoral and political processes in Somalia by fostering increased citizen participation; building the capacity of civil society, election management bodies (EMBs) and other relevant government and non-government bodies to pave the way for one person, one vote elections in Somalia; and supporting the development of issue-based and viable political parties.
Position Start Date: Immediately
The Communication Officer will be responsible for internal and external communication activities to improve internal communication and external project profile, applyingand raising staff awareness of project branding and marking requirements, helping draft success stories, various reportsand ensuringall project staff share their contributions for reports in a timely manner.
REPORTING & SUPERVISION
The Communication Officerreports to theChief of Party
The Communication Officer will:
- Implement the project reporting and communications strategy and activities related to the project;
- Collect content for weeklyand quarterly status reports;
- Draft weekly status reports for submission to the client;
- Take notes at meetings with client and project partners regarding relevant project issues,
- Work closely with the Program Analyst and project staffto draft weekly, , quarterly (including the annual) report in order to meet the deadlines.
- Proactively seek contributions from all staff to prevent delayed report submission.
- Assist projectstaff with public outreach/awareness campaigns;
- Translate reports occasionally into Somali and in close consultation with the COP and Creative’s HQ, promote relevant content using the relevant social media.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief of Party.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- At least five years of communications, including report drafting, experience
- Strong verbal and written English and Somali language skills.
- Somali national;
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, communications, publishing or similar area required; Master’s Degree preferred;
- Writing samples required;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe applications;
- Previous project work experience with USAID Project in Somalia is an added advantage
- Team player, with excellent organizational, training design and delivery, time management, and communication skills in English, both written and oral. Excellent in English language (Both speaking and writing)
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience working in Somalia on similar projects;
- Previous experience working on transition programs in other insecure environments is desirable but not required;
- Working knowledge of USAID policies, rules and regulations preferred;
This position description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of the position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed appropriate and necessary.
How to apply:
Send electronic submissions of updated resume, cover letter, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5 PM on January 13, 2019. Please include the Job Title in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.