SOMALIA STRENGTHENING INSTITUTIONS FOR PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT (SSIPWP)
Terms of Reference
|Reporting to:||Director of Communication|
|Duration:||20 Months(depending on continued budget availability and need for the position as well as satisfactory or better performance evaluations)|
|Duty Station:||Banadir Regional Administration (BRA) Mogadishu, Somalia.|
Somalia Strengthening Institutions for Public Works Project (SSIPWP)
The SSIPWP project is the centre piece for building the capacity of the Federal Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H) and the recently established state-level Ministries and the Banadir Regional Administration (BRA) by developing more effective, efficient, inclusive and accountable institutions for public works and infrastructure.
The SSIPWP project is funded by the African Development Fund (ADF) and the Transition Support Facility (TSF) of the African Development Bank (AfDB) and implemented through a Tripartite Protocol Agreement between the Somalia Federal Government, African Development Fund and the United Nations Office for Project Service (UNOPS).
The purpose of the SSIPWP project is improve the capacities of MPWR&H, State-Level Ministries and BRA responsible for public works to enable them independently plan, manage and oversee infrastructure construction projects and maintenance of public works (Project Appraisal Report, 2016).
Purpose of the Position
Support and maintain all internal and external communication of the BRA with state-level Public Works Ministries, Banadir Regional Administration and inline Ministries of the Federal Government, as well as international agencies.
The incumbent will also lead and develop the BRA communication strategies including outreach to different audiences, raising the profile of the BRA, direct contact to the media, press releases and branding awareness.
Scope of Service
Reporting to the Director of Communication, the incumbent is responsible for and accountable to:
- Design and implement the BRA communication strategies and produce communication material under the guidance of the Director of Communication.
Duties and Responsibilities, include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee and develop media relations: communication with journalists and agencies. Analyze and monitor BRA’s member’s needs in communication and promote members’ work in close cooperation with the other Minister’s departments of the BRA Secretariat.
- Draft, design and finalize high quality press releases, communication strategies and other communication material (print and for social media) for BRA media work and campaigns.
- Enhance capacity of BRA staff and contribute to working structures that effectively deliver according to the Ministry’s communication needs (including awareness rising and publications)
- Support the BRA in terms of social media content including, text, photos, videos and audio for use across BRA’s website, Twitter feeds and Facebook pages.
- Ensure full coherence and alignment with various BRA offices in implementing the communication strategy
- Provide technical advice and support to team leaders and other staff in planning and developing relevant information and communications products.
- Provide input to all major departmental documents, including strategies, donor reports and other technical documents, to ensure they are well written and clearly communicating the messages (high-quality communication products geared towards key-audiences).
- Identify and implement public relationcampaigns and provide support for advocacy, monitoring and evaluation.
- Be responsible for the compilation and finalization of the narrative annual report and other reports as assigned
- Oversee the design and editorial content of the website and intranet, ensuring that content are regularly updated and promoted.
- Participate in resource mobilization activities by developing materials and ensuring that the organizational websites remain relevant
- Provide support and training in communication for the staff working at various BRA offices, during the annual staff meetings and staff retreats
- Initiate and implement communication activities in BRA yearly plan.
- Link BRA advocacy campaigns to other regional and international campaigns, and keep BRA members, networks and partners informed on BRA’ various activities.
- Draft press releases, statements, news summaries and ensure print and electronic media coverage for the events.
- Monitor international and regional media, and regularly update BRA staff of any media coverage relevant to their work.
- Proactively identify media opportunities and, in close liaison with BRA partners, plan and implement media events including press releases, report launches and press conferences.
- Organize regular and ad-hoc briefings, public information events and press conferences.
- Develop strategies for partnerships and maintain databases of partners and supporters in the field of information and communication media;
- Assist in the implementation of BRA seminars, workshops as well as internal board meetings and general assemblies and disseminate information on these activities.
- Any other duties assigned by his/her Supervisor
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Minimum of Bachelor of Communication, or related discipline.
- At least 5 years of professional work experience in a relevant business or environment
- Excellent organizing and communication skills;
- Demonstrated Communication skills;
- Demonstrated competence in the use of Microsoft Office and media design, including relevant software applications for high-quality communication material design and production);
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Somali and English.
- Interested Somali candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org, Closing date by 25thMay 2019 @5:00pm.Kindly indicate “Communication Officer BRA Mogadishu, Somalia,VAno: 0098/19”on the subject line when applying.
- Qualified Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.