COMMUNICATIONS AND ADVOCACY OFFICER
COMMUNICATIONS AND ADVOCACY OFFICER
Department: Project Development Department
Position: Communications and Advocacy Officer
Direct Hierarchy: Project Development Manager
Starting Date: March 2019
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context. Their 3,300 staff is committed in to responding to emergencies worldwide, to supporting recovery and rehabilitation, towards sustainable development.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Development Manager, the successful candidate will work closely with Project Development Department staff within the ACTED Kenya/Somalia offices to ensure the following responsibilities are fulfilled.
- Develop communications strategy and support in report writing for ongoing projects in line with donor requirements but also a broader strategy in line with overall Somalia/SomalilandStrategy.
- Build capacity of staff across the organization in communication skills and practices;
- Ensure consistency of strategy, messaging and brand identity compliance within the mission.
- Create content for communication supports online and offline. Document results and best practices including compiling success stories, developing presentations and other communication materials
- Distill key lessons from projects and develop communications materials. Publish articles to increase the visibility of projects and their results and disseminate communication products, as agreed in the communication strategy
- Update and maintain a photo bank, organize and coordinate the production
- Take lead in dissemination of communication materials to relevant stakeholders as per Manager’s guidance.
- Coordinating communication activities and events of ACTED
- Work on increasing the visibility of ACTED operations through organizing media profiles/interviews and submitting articles on our work when requested.
- Improving internal communication (gathering success stories, staff profiles etc but also ensuring circulation of key information points to staff, producing a monthly newsletter internal/external)
Key Reporting and Support Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Project Development Manager, provide leadership in the development ofcommunications and advocacy products.
- With support of the Project Development manager, support the reporting process for all current projects.
- Assist in writing proposals concept notes and budgets.
Other tasks and responsibilities as requested by the PDM or the CD
- Masters or Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations or related field is preferable.
- Demonstrated experience in project development in an NGO/INGO is highly preferable.
- Strong graphic design skills will be an advantage
- At least 5 years of professional work experience in designing and executing communication activities, preferably in development programmes
- Ability to work in a team and to sometimes tight deadlines in a dynamic and fast-paced work environment
- Very good mastering of English (both verbal and written)
- Ability to communicate with people outside the organisation, representing the organisation to external sources.
- Ability to create new ideas, relationships, systems, or products, including creative contributions
- Proficient in use of computer applications related to the tasks
- Excellent communication skills with knowledge of both internal and external communications environments.
- Proactive, self-starter – able to work with minimum supervision.
- Excellent time management, organization, and prioritization skills, with the ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Flexible, enthusiastic and a willingness to listen and learn from others.
Qualified persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae detailing three work related referees and contacts email@example.com and received on or before 5.00PM on24thFebruary 2019
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. If you receive any email/calls in relation to ACTED’s recruitment and you are unsure about its validity or origin, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.