Community-Based Paralegal Program Officer
American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI)
Position: Community-Based Paralegal Program Officer
Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland
Within the framework of the five-year Expanding Access to Justice (EAJ) program, the American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) seeks a Community-Based Paralegal (CBP) Program Officer to support the development and implementation of a legal aid expansion strategy for Community-Based Paralegal services in Somaliland.
Duties and Responsibilities
will work with
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Chief of Party/Senior Legal Advisor, the CBP Program Officer will collaborate with colleagues in the EAJ program, partners at the Ministry of Justice, Legal Aid organisation representatives, and paralegals. As such, an ability to establish and sustain effective working relationships with colleagues and counterparts is essential. The CBP Officer will:
- Advise on strategic considerations relating to subject matter and geographic focus to inform the roll-out of CBP programs in Somaliland;
- Contribute to the training, coaching and mentoring of LAO staff and CBPs on basic law, mediation and dispute resolution, and advocacy using appropriate adult-oriented training and coaching techniques
- Monitor program implementation, support effective program documentation practices, and draft regular program reports
- Contribute to the evaluation of program effectiveness and support the continued development of improved program approaches.
Required Skills and Experience
Degree in law with at least five years of relevant experience
- Minimum of 3 years relevant work experience in provision of criminal, civil, judiciary or other relevant legal area, including a minimum of 2 years work experience supporting paralegal programs
- Experience in the design and implementation of training programmes for law professionals, preferably in Somaliland
- Experience in training community actors in law, alternative dispute resolutions, and advocacy. Prior experience supporting a community-based paralegal program desirable
- Specialised experience in land rights, SGBV laws and IDP Rights
- Experience with informal justice and alternative dispute resolution mechanisms;
- Experience working with community leaders, police, prosecutors and judges
- Experience developing and implementing legal aid activities.
- Understanding of the rule of law in preventing and protecting vulnerable members of the community.
- Excellent Somali and English skills.
- Knowledge of Arabic is desirable
Fully proficient computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications, including, word processing, spreadsheets, internet, etc.
How to apply
Apply by sending your cover letter and CV on the email address email@example.com. The closing date is 23 May 2019. Please indicate the position title in the subject line of your email message.
NOTE THAT ONLY EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
- Posted by: Somali Jobs Inc
- Company: American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI)
- Location: Anywhere
- State: Hargeisa - Somaliland
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Paralegal
- Tags: No Tags
- Job expires in: 1 day
1229 total views, 27 today