- Job category: Community Affairs
- Post date:1 Aug 2019
- Share job:
Post Title: Community Mobilizer
Report to: Center Manager
Duty station: Gabiley, Somaliland
Duration: 1 year with possibility for extension
Date of issue: 31Th July, 2019
Closing Date: 14Th August, 2019
Ministry of Youth and sport Somaliland is the Government agency mandated to enhance the development and empowerment of adolescent and youth in Somaliland
In Somaliland 75% of the population are younger than 35 years old, according to population estimates, avenues for youth to obtain education and gainful employment opportunities are limited and opportunities to engage politically, economically, or socially remain weak or non-existent. The space and opportunities are even further restricted for girls and young women. Exclusion has created frustration and demoralization among youth.
Gabiley Youth Center is aimed to be one of the physical spaces that provides essential and strategic approach in promoting, empowering, mobilizing, educating, and fostering youth participation and engagement t in Gabiley region.
The center will provide a number of integrated services and requires a dynamic individual who will be able to lead the center to excellence.
The community mobilizer reports to the center manager and will ensure that reach and outreach activities are undertaken
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Build networks within the community in Gabiley Region/District
- Maintain good working relationships with local community
- Conduct outreach and in reach services.
- Mobilize community members to seek services at the center
- Identify challenges that women and girls are facing in accessing services
- Conduct surveys and assessments of the beneficiaries to establish baseline data of the community
- Facilitate small and large FGD (Focus Group Discussions) to identify the need of the committee
- Assist in identifying members of the community that are facing SRH Issues
- Assist in mobilizing community members to identify and address SRH related risks in Gebiley Region/District
- Assist in developing and disseminating awareness materials that are targeted towards young adults and women.
- Implement risk mitigation and awareness activities
- Work closely with UNFPA Hargeisa office to carry out SRH Services and GBV mainstreaming activities
- Encourage full participation by all community members, paying special attention to women and girls.
- Mobilize Community and facilitate community dialogue on SRH and GBV
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports as required by the Center Manager
- Other tasks as requested by the center managerin coordination with UNFPA
- Implementation of community mobilization activities to specifically access “hard to reach” and vulnerable beneficiaries.
- Organize culturally sensitive educational and promotional activities to raise awareness on SRH topics/services, including:
- Family Planning
- Mother and Neonatal health, Antenatal Care, and Postnatal Care,
- Awareness of STIs and infection prevention
- Referral and guidance for survivors of sexual assault.
- Contribute to the development of a variety of health education material and tools to fit the context.
- Mobilize the community, women and girls, women’s groups, community groups etc. to increase SRH awareness and service utilization, together with SRH and GBV teams.
- Liaise with midwives and community health workers to track and monitor women/clients targeted by the program.
- Ensure the safe and confidential referral of identified survivors of sexual assault to GBV services.
- Organize meetings with community representatives, and target groups as needed.
- Engage community leaders and women’s groups in raising awareness on Sexual Reproductive Health.
- Participate in the recruitment of community health workers.
- Support the training of community health workers (CHWs) on SRH topics/service promotion, hygiene promotion, waste management, infection prevention etc.
- Education requirement
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, social science or education with minimum of 2 years’ experience
Knowledge and experience
- Strong community engagement and mobilization skills.
- At least 2 years of previous (work or volunteer) experience working with youth (substitute college degree)
- Strong documentation and communication skills.
- Work successfully with people from diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds and lifestyles
- Familiarity with Gabiley Regional/District Community (Specially Youth)
- Excellent facilitation and consensus building skills
- Experience with data and evaluation
- Work both independently and as a team player
- Treat a variety of people with respect and compassion
- Fluency in oral and written English and Somali
Other desirable skills:
- Proficiency in basic computer skill
If you think you are a great fit, please submit your application and a detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 14/August 2019 with the subject line indicating the title you are applying for
NB: An applicant must be a Somaliland national.
NB: Female professionals are encouraged to apply.An applicant must be a Somaliland national.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
2847 total views, 2 today