Conflict Resolution Advisor for the National Independent Election Commission (NIEC)
Job Title: Conflict Resolution Advisory for the National Independent Election Commission (NIEC)
Creative Associates International Inc.
BUILD Project – Somalia
Number of Vacancies: Up to Three (3)
Position Location: Mogadishu, Somalia, with travel throughout Somalia, as required.
Creative Associates International Inc. is a dynamic and fast-growing professional services firm that specializes in international development in the areas of education, democratic transitions and stabilization in post-conflict environments. Based in Washington, DC, the firm has a field presence in 20 countries worldwide with a strong and diverse portfolio that includes global contracts with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and other clients including the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Defence. The firm has earned a solid reputation among its clients and missions worldwide and is well regarded by competitors and partners alike.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is located in Mogadishu, Somalia. The successful applicant must be a Somalia national and have the right to work in Somalia. No relocation or similar expenses will be paid by Creative Associates. The Advisor will be embedded in the National Independent Electoral Commission in Villa Somalia and will directly report to the Chairperson.
The Bringing Unity, Integrity and Legitimacy to Democracy (BUILD) project aims to support electoral and political processes in Somalia by developing the capacity of governmental actors to design and administer electoral processes and by fostering increased citizen and media participation and oversight of the democratic process.
In regard to Somalia, BUILD will work to develop the capacity of the NIEC in the design, development and implementation of electoral processes leading to credible one-person-one-vote elections scheduled for 2020.
1 Year renewable
Working under overall supervision of the Chairperson of NIEC, the advisor has to initiate, create and implement conflict prevention, resolution and mediation related activities. In addition, the incumbent will be involved in initiating local communities’ conflict resolution activities.
- Initiate and supervise partnership between the NIEC and election stakeholders
- Initiate and supervise local community dialogue/consultation process;
- Initiate and supervise conflict resolution projects in local communities;
- Initiate creation of a conflict resolution platform for the electoral process in Somalia
- Assist in securing interaction and relationship between all electoral stakeholders on federal and member states level;
- Keep contact with relevant national and international stakeholders and donor community;
- Other relevant activities as appropriate.
- Advise the NIEC Chairperson of any conflictual issues that may negatively impact the delivery of electoral activities
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of NIEC and BUILD
- High degree of personal initiative and willingness to accept a wide range of responsibilities;
- Demonstrated effectiveness in developing training materials and strategies
- Ability to provide technical and political advice to the NIEC leadership
- Excellent communication (spoken, written and presentational) skills, including ability to present sensitive issues /positions, write reports and promote NIEC decisions;
Planning and Organizing:
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills and ability to coordinate the work of others, work to tight deadlines and handle multiple concurrent projects/activities.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Promote knowledge management in NIEC and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Substantial knowledge of conflict resolution, reconciliation or transitional justice approaches and methodologies;
- Substantial experience in developing conflict resolution and reconciliation documents and strategies;
- Substantial experience in generating dialogue and consultation process in areas burdened with legacy of human rights violations, with particular focus on divided local communities;
- Teaching experience in conflict resolution, reconciliation or transitional justice is a significant asset;
- Substantial knowledge of international legal, programmatic and expert documents related to conflict resolution, reconciliation or transitional justice;
- Substantial experience in creation of partnership with CSOs and involvement of CSOs in dialogue and consultation process;
- Political intuition – ability to grasp political dimensions of the context that will permeate and influence the process;
- A collaborative work style;
- Excellent communication skills.
Education & Experience:
- Minimum MA in law, political science, international relations, social sciences, communications or other relevant degree.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in conflict resolution, reconciliation
- Substantial and proven experience in generating dialogue and consultation process, involving CSOs is a significant advantage.
- Excellent command in English and Somali (written and spoken) is a must;
The Advisor will report on a day-to-day basis to the Chair of the NIEC Board of Commission. However, they will also provide a weekly activity and impact report to the BUILD Elections Technical Advisor
Position Start Date:
How to apply:
Send electronic submissions of updated resumes & cover letter highlighting your experience in conflict resolution to email@example.com 5 PM on June 15, 2019. Please include the Job Title in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.