9 Oct 2019
Consultant- CLTS Training
International Medical Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Start Over with Job Search If you already have a profile? Please login here
19-228: Consultant- CLTS Training
Department: International Programs
Essential Job Duties/Scope of Work:
To enhance the capacity of the International Medical Corps staff, Local authority and communities on Community Lead Total Sanitation(CLTS) approaches and Hygiene Promotion in six (6) targeted villages in Jowhar. This includes supporting the TOTs to undergo practical sessions on all the stages of the CLTS process as well as formulae appropriate hygiene and sanitation promotion messages to build their capacity to impart knowledge to community on prevention of WASH related disease.
?As part of SDG 6.2 requirement on the number of people living in ODF villages and the number using improved sanitation services, IMC will engage two full time CLTS facilitators and community Shura committees who will do community mobilization, triggering and conduct regular follow-up visits to the CLTS target villages and support the community to attain positive change in their sanitation behaviour. Once the villages report Open Defecation Free (ODF), IMC will request the shura committee, community elders and local authority to undertake internal verification and confirm the status. Based on the community internal verification results, IMC with representatives of government line departments, NGO partners and community elders will conduct external verification to certify the communities as ODF communities if it is confirmed that the villages are free from open defection practice. IMC together with the community and the line ministry will organize a celebration event to mark Open Defecation Free (ODF) in the targeted villages.
IMC recognizes the importance of scheduling of the CLTS process. IMC together with the community and the local authority will develop implementation timeline for the entire CLTS process. The initial training of IMC staff, community “Shura” committees, other stakeholders and the actual commencement of triggering sessions of the communities will take place during the first 5 months of the program. Once initial groundwork and triggering is successfully undertaken, achieving the ODF in the target villages is anticipated to take 6 months. At this stage the targeted communities will be required to undertake self-assessment and self-verification in preparation for ODF. Available evidence has shown there should be sufficient time between community self-declaration and final certification to ensure that ODF can be sustained in the targeted communities.
Specific task related to the assignment
1. Support mobilization of target villages during pre-triggering.
2. To conduct a comprehensive 5 days ToT for International Medical Corps staff and government officials on Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) approach, including field level triggering demo is carried out as part of ToT.
3. Give backstopping on how to do follow-up of triggered villages
4. Provide coaching and mentoring for the community CLTS facilitators and stakeholders in facilitation skills and the principles and processes of CLTS.
5. Facilitate the formation and training of Natural Leaders in facilitation skills and the principles and processes of CLTS
6. Support the establishment and nurturing of networks of Natural Leaders in the target villages in Jowhar
7. Identify if there is an existing National CLTS guidelines or adopt one in a similar context to aid in implementation.
8. Develop monitoring tools including gender and age specific tools with key indicators on processes and outcomes of CLTS implementation against the set indicators.
9. To enable participants to understand their roles, responsibilities and their relationship with government institutions and other partners in the implementation of community lead total sanitation(CLTS) approach.
10. Provide several technical options and input that are hygienic durable, low cost, zero cost and appropriate for local situation to enable transfer concepts of community participation/engagement, ownership and sustainability to ToTs. Note that triggered communities/HH will identify the type of latrine they would like to build by themselves. The consultant and the TOTs will only provide technical support to ensure that the latrine meets basic minimum standards.
11. To discuss factors that affect behaviors and how they can be altered in order to bring about positive gender sensitive hygiene behaviors.
12. To produce and share detailed training report with the Program Director. The report content must include executive summary, methodology, sessions proceedings, pre and post training evaluation, monitoring and evaluation tools and, process evaluating checklist etc
Education – Master Degree in Public Health, Water and sanitation, Environmental health, sociology or related field.
1. A minimum of 7 years of experience working in WASH and/or health particularly in Environmental Sanitation ideally in Somalia
2. Extensive experience and proven track record in CLTS facilitation in Somalia
3. Experience in liaison with government and local authorities particularly in Somalia is asset
4. Experience in monitoring and evaluation of project performance preferably in Somalia.
1. Good knowledge of Microsoft Office and internet applications
2. Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal with exceptional writing skills.
3. Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills.
4. Ability to work under time constraints and deadlines in challenging settings.
5. Ability to work independently, with flexibility.
6. Ability to work in a team and good interpersonal skills.
7. Knowledgeable and experience in qualitative methods of data collection and analysis.
Experience – Knowledge of the context and undertook such consultancy in Somalia or a similar Country.
Proven experience in leading successful community mobilization and strategic communication in WASH projects
Competency – Ability to work in multicultural and multi-ethnic environments.
Demonstrated ability to identify, approach, and coordinate with stakeholders of diverse backgrounds and levels of expertise.
APPLY NOW: https://careers.internationalmedicalcorps.org/?adata=ELS2H8bh2jNHMuTqx6qioYNXh2GxJ35QbClahgtazKTq8IksdXY7x7S7B%2bdZ2Lt5STyNNDFD7ddVY2MBV0TqoRR0Wvyx7EEyhuIN%2fk32nIcvRwnM9qONMcTZz04EXegyLDMlvfdZ3aC4vLb5xTf3GiaO3u1wj5WNqitKHk94ulOnyHytFF3fxym29IIKgvZIAIfVSQ3t12%2fR0iwrQrAf858%3d