Consultant to develop Local Government Employment Regulation
JUBBALAND STATE OF SOMALIA
MINISTRY OF INTERIOR
CONSULTANT TO DEVELOP LOCAL GOVERNMENT EMPLOYMENT REGULATION
|I. Position Information|
II. Organizational Context
|The Ministry of Interior (MoI), Jubbaland State of Somalia is the major governmental institution leading the local governance initiatives in the state. It coordinates the different activities of the agencies within the UN Joint Programme on Local Governance and Decentralized Service Delivery in Somalia (JPLG) and other stakeholders. The ministry also has a constitutional mandate in overseeing the functions and performance of the local governments through creating an enabling environment within which local governments can flourish.
Local Governments in Somalia are generally plagued by lack of clear guidelines on employment regulation as well as a poor understanding of the roles and responsibilities of employers and employees. This leads to difficulties in assessing and creating or enhancing human resource capacities for the local governments which are then unable to provide services for the populace.
The Ministry of Interior, Jubbaland State of Somalia, in collaboration with theJPLG intend to put in place a comprehensive Employment Regulation for the Local Government as part of creating an enabling environment and to ensure that capacities are built that are institutionalised and long lasting.
In this context, the JPLG which is a five-year joint programme comprising ILO, UNCDF, UNDP, UN-HABITAT and UNICEF with the overall goal of “creating an enabling environment for improved service delivery and greater stability, through improved legal, policy and system frameworks – building the knowledge of those working in and with local governments” will support the Ministry of Interior in recruiting a consultant to develop a Local Government Employment Regulation who will to be based at the MoI offices and will be supervised by the Director General, MoI. The position is for a limited period of two months.
III. Objectives of the assignment
|The consultant will help to strengthen and enhance the human resource capacities and capabilities of the MoI through:
1. Drafting / developing a Local Government Employment Regulation
2. Sensitizing the ministry and stakeholders on the regulation to ensure buy in
3. Provide training on the developed employment regulation to the target group
IV. Scope of work
|The Consultant will: –
· Review the constitution, existing laws and policies on employment and identify gaps and weaknesses to be addressed in line with best practices Consult and liaise with staff at Ministry of Interior and Kismayo local government in Jubbaland State of Somalia and other relevant stakeholders to solicit their views
· Draft the Employment Regulation ensuring adherence to relevant legislation applicable to local governments in Somalia such as the civil service law and incorporate the comments and views of the ministry and stakeholders Present the draft Employment Regulation to the ministry and other stakeholders and revise the regulation based on feedback
Present the final Employment Regulation for validation
· Conduct training session(s) to the target group to explain the implementation and monitoring of employment regulation
|V: Monitoring and Reporting|
|The consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Director General, Ministry of Interior with the JPLG certifying the quality of work before payment is processed. The payment will be a lumpsum to be paid after the regulation is validated.|
|VI: Qualifications and Experience|
|VII: Other information|
|Women are strongly encouraged to apply.|
|VIII. Application submission|
|Please send your curriculum vitae, cover letter and copy of credentials marked “Employment Regulation Consultant” by 18th November 2018 to Moijss3@gmail.com and copy email@example.com
The MoI will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.