Job Title: Director General
Ministry: Ministry of Health
Grade Level & Classification:
Reporting to: Minister of Health
Salary: $1,285 per month
Location: Southwest State of Somalia, Baidoa, Somalia
Purpose of the position
The Director General is the Managerial and Administrative Head and of the Ministry, responsible for directing and coordinating the activities of the Ministry. She/he performs the policy setting role while the Functional Heads of the Ministry are responsible for executing the technical aspects of the Ministry’s functions.
The Director-General is required to build a culture of professionalism, respect and integrity to ensure a positive working environment, acknowledging the responsibilities of Ministers and supporting managers to make evidence-based decisions. The Director-General is responsible for ensuring that management decisions are free from nepotism, patronage and that are seen to be based on merit. Acting truthfully, fairly and in the public interestin addition to creating and maintaining stakeholder confidence through leadership which fosters and promotes ethical decision making is a key element of this position.
Working and Reporting Relationships
The Director-General reports to the Minister of Health, and is required to work closely with Functional Heads of the Ministry to ensure ministry objectives are met and to facilitate effective communication with all sections of the organization, and liaising with managers and staff from other Line Ministries as necessary. The Director-General must also work closely with the Civil Service Commission to ensure effective management of civil servants within the Ministry of Health.
The Director-General is the leader of the Ministry of Health, with portfolio oversight, including but not limited to the following responsibilities:
- Responsible for managing the performance of the staff of the Ministry, in accordance with the Civil Service Act and Regulations, and ensure effective, efficient and timely completion of the tasks of the Ministry.
- Overall management of the Ministry, including Human Resources, Finance and Budgeting, Revenue Collection, Compliance with Legislation, and Public Health;
- Keeping the Minister and Deputy Minister informed of the progress made in translating policy decision into actions;
- Advising the Minister and Deputy Minister on all questions of policy which are within the scope of the Ministry’s responsibility;
- Establishing and implementing government policies, strategies and programs related to administration, good governance, and its implementation.
- Monitoring and executing the Ministry budget and that of the institutions under supervision of the Minister/Deputy Minister.
- Ensuring that decisions on these policies are transmitted to proper institutions for execution;
- Provide informed, evidence based advice to government;
- Implement the Government’s policies, programs and priorities;
- Deliver high quality, innovative, value-added policies and services;
- Exercise sound judgment and risk management practices in decision making;
- Drive effective, efficient and appropriate use of public resources;
- Develop a workforce and leadership practices that build a constructive culture with a focus on performance, capability building and personal accountability and nurturing of leadership potential;
- Maximize competitive advantage of a diverse and inclusive workforce;
- Create collaborations and build quality partnerships;
- Partner with all sectors to optimize departmental performance;
- Any other duties assigned by the top management.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor degree in public administration, Business administration or other relevant academic field
- Have at least four (4) years relevant professional experience, two (2) years of which should have been in a leadership position or at a top management level in the Public Service or Private Sector.
- Demonstrable experience in developing strategic and business plans;
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven managerial and leadership skills;
- Strong understanding of government financial management and measures of performance;
- Sound knowledge international standards of management practice;
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills;
- Outstanding analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English and Arabic language.
- Commitment to an effective, merit-based South West administration Potential to contribute to the future development and stability of the South West State
- High standards of ethical behavior and integrity
- Ability to motivate and mentor staff
- Ability to identify, analyses and solve complex problems
- Ability to plan and organize work to ensure effective implementation of Ministry functions
How to Apply
- Please click this link and download the form: Application Form( Write your full name ) after filling this form, confidential application can be addressed to Recruitment.firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 18rd August 2019 and please attach only the form you filled.
- Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for interview.
- Note: Write the title of the position on the subject of your Email.