Director of Building Department
SOMALIA STRENGTHENING INSTITUTIONS FOR PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT
Director of Building Department
Terms of Reference
|Position Title:||Director of Building Department|
|Reporting to:||Director General|
|Duration:||20 Months (depending on continued budget availability and need for the position as well as satisfactory or better performance evaluations)|
|Duty Station:||Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H Hirshabelle State Somalia)|
Somalia Strengthening Institutions for Public Works Project (SSIPWP)
The SSIPWP project is the centre piece for building the capacity of the Federal Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H) and the recently established state-level Ministries and the Banadir Regional Administration (BRA) by developing more effective, efficient, inclusive and accountable institutions for public works and infrastructure.
The SSIPWP project is funded by the African Development Fund (ADF) and the Transition Support Facility (TSF) of the African Development Bank (AfDB) and implemented through a Tripartite Protocol Agreement between the Somalia Federal Government, African Development Fund and the United Nations Office for Project Service (UNOPS).
The purpose of the SSIPWP project is improve the capacities of MPWR&H, State-Level Ministries and BRA responsible for public works to enable them independently plan, manage and oversee infrastructure construction projects and maintenance of public works (Project Appraisal Report, 2016).
Purpose of the Position
Buildings that require a warrant of fitness are inspected in accordance with departmental programmes with records maintained and any follow up compliance completed.
Scope of Service
Reporting to the Director General, the incumbent is responsible for and accountable to:
- Preparing evidence, notices and information required for enforcement action in case of non-compliance with the Building Act, Building Code and Council Bylaws and other applicable legal documents and standards.
Duties and Responsibilities, include, but not limited to:
- Undertaking building compliance and enforcement activity for the building team and peer review/audit inspections as required.
- Preparing evidence, notices and information required for enforcement action in case of non-compliance with the Building Act, Building Code and Council Bylaws as well as other applicable laws, standards or rules and regulations.
- Preparing evidence and information required to assist Council’s insurer or solicitor relating to any claims or cases against Council.
- Carrying out investigations of building work to ensure compliance with relevant technical standards.
- Recording and/or reporting the result of compliance investigations and inspections
- Reporting to the DG on activates undertaken in regard to non-compiling work.
- Prepare, issue and maintain notices under the Building Act within BCA/TA procedures and legislative requirements and timeframes as required to regularise matters of non-compliance.
- Prepare for prosecutions and giving of evidence in a satisfactory manner.
- Undertaking property inspections for compliance and maintain records.
- Assisting with desk top assessments of Earthquake-prone building as required. Ensuring that all necessary information is correct and complete and accurately recorded.
- Undertake any other duties as requested by the Building Unit Manager
- Consenting and Certifying Building Work
- Undertake consistent, professional building inspections and other statutory functions under the Building Actand within Council’s BCA framework, as required.
- Review, assess and determine building compliance on: building inspections (including old consents); determination applications; confirmation of code compliance certificates over two years from completion date; and Certificate of acceptance.
- Following documented procedures and processes for the Building Consent Authority (BCA) and Territorial Authority (TA)
- Assist other compliance officers providing technical leadership and direction.
- Systematically applying risk management processes to the achievement of Councils strategic and operational objectives, plans and compliance with its legal obligations.
- Any risks identified are reported to the Building Unit director or Team Leader.
- Risks are minimized through the following of TCDC’s policies and procedures. All legal obligations are complied with.
- Any other duties assigned by his/her Supervisor
Required Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Minimum Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineeror related discipline with at least 5 years minimum experience in Architecture.
- Degree or Advance Diploma and/or trade/advanced trade certificate qualification relevant to the building industry.
- Possess (working towards) an appropriate qualification relating to Building Controls.
- Relevant Trade Certificate or equivalent experience in the building industry
- At least 5 years of professional work experience in a relevant Architecture or related field
- Previous experience in working within a Local Authority environment
- Excellent organizing and structure design skills;
- Demonstrated structural skills;
- Demonstrated competence in the use of Architecture software’s;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Somali. Fluency in English highly desirable.
- Interested Somali candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CVs firstname.lastname@example.org,and must be cc’d: email@example.com,, Closing date by 25th May, 2019 @12:00pm.Kindly indicate “Director of building department MPWRH Hirshabelle State Somalia &VAno: 0061/19” on the subject line when applying.
- Qualified Female candidates is highly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.