Director of Policy & Planning
SOMALIA STRENGTHENING INSTITUTIONS FOR PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT (SSIPWP)
Director of Policy & planning
Terms of Reference
Director of Policy & planning
|Reporting to:||Director General|
|Duration:||20 Months (depending on continued budget availability and need for the position as well as satisfactory or better performance evaluations)|
|Duty Station:||Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H Galmudug State Somalia)|
Somalia Strengthening Institutions for Public Works Project (SSIPWP):
The SSIPWP project is the centre piece for building the capacity of the Federal Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H) and the recently established state-level Ministries and the Banadir Regional Administration (BRA) by developing more effective, efficient, inclusive and accountable institutions for public works and infrastructure.
The SSIPWP project is funded by the African Development Fund (ADF) and the Transition Support Facility (TSF) of the African Development Bank (AfDB) and implemented through a Tripartite Protocol Agreement between the Somalia Federal Government, African Development Fund and the United Nations Office for Project Service (UNOPS).
The purpose of the SSIPWP project is improve the capacities of MPWR&H, State-Level Ministries and BRA responsible for public works to enable them independently plan, manage and oversee infrastructure construction projects and maintenance of public works (Project Appraisal Report, 2016).
- Guide the ministry on proper policy 7&planning for all its work to be undertaken. Coordinate and meet all stake holders at the initial stage of projects to ensure minimal complains at other stages of project implementation
Scope of Services
- Plan well with the ministry all pending activities for efficient implementation. The planner will be responsible for all initial stages of planning from workforce to the budgetary line of the activities.
Duties and Responsibilities includes but not limited to these:
- Coordinating production workflow for one or multiple products
- Planning and prioritizing operations to ensure maximum performance and minimum delay
- Determining manpower, equipment and raw materials needed to cover production demand
- Monitor jobs to ensure they finish on time and within budget
- Address issues when they arise aiming for minimum disruption
- Obtain output information (number of finished products, percentage of defectives etc.)
- Prepare and submit status and performance reports
- Determine manpower, equipment and raw materials needed to cover project cycle
- Assign workers and other staff to particular operations and Keep paperwork organized
- Collaborate with quality control, warehouse and other staff
- Assist in developing, implementing and monitoring the Strategic and Business Plans of the Ministry in collaboration with other key personnel.
- Assist in developing and reviewing policies which affect the Ministry.
- Collect, analyze and compile data on social, economic and political issues.
- Prepare working papers, reports and briefs designed to aid in the process of planning, policy formulation and problem solving.
- Report to the Director General for policy, Planning on developments and changes in legislation, regulations, international standards and other relevant research.
- Perform related work as may be required.
Required Qualifications, Experience and Skills:
- A Bachelor of Science degree in a Social Science, preferably with Policy Development, Research, Evaluation, Project Management or Public Sector Management.
- A minimum of two (2) years’ work experience in policy development, planning, research and evaluation.
- Working knowledge of research methods and evaluation techniques and mechanisms. Excellent communication skills (written and oral).
- Working knowledge of public policy planning.
- Good project management skills.
- Good teambuilding skills.
- Working knowledge of regulations and procedures governing the Public Service. Working knowledge of computer applications.
- Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV to: email@example.com, closing date by 27th June, 2019 @12:00pm. Kindly indicate “Director of policy & planning) MPWRH GalmudugState Somalia–VA-no0088/19” on the subject line when applying.
- Qualified Female candidate is highly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.