Director of Roads Department –Civil Engineer
SOMALIA STRENGTHENING INSTITUTIONS FOR PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT (SSIPWP)
Director of Roads Department –Civil Engineer
Terms of Reference
|Position Title:||Director of Roads Department -Civil Engineer|
|Reporting to:||Director General|
|Duration:||20 Months (depending on continued budget availability and need for the position as well as satisfactory or better performance evaluations)|
|Duty Station:||Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H Hirshabelle State Somalia)|
Somalia Strengthening Institutions for Public Works Project (SSIPWP):
The SSIPWP project is the centre piece for building the capacity of the Federal Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H) and the recently established state-level Ministries and the Banadir Regional Administration (BRA) by developing more effective, efficient, inclusive and accountable institutions for public works and infrastructure.
The SSIPWP project is funded by the African Development Fund (ADF) and the Transition Support Facility (TSF) of the African Development Bank (AfDB) and implemented through a Tripartite Protocol Agreement between the Somalia Federal Government, African Development Fund and the United Nations Office for Project Service (UNOPS).
The purpose of the SSIPWP project is improve the capacities of MPWR&H, State-Level Ministries and BRA responsible for public works to enable them independently plan, manage and oversee infrastructure construction projects and maintenance of public works (Project Appraisal Report, 2016).
Under the direct supervision of Director of Public works, the engineer is responsible for gathering project requirements, testing and evaluating Roads and building sites and materials, and managing the overall building process from start to finishing.
Scope of Services
- Identifying the best practices and techniques of roads construction/civil engineering to meet project requirements
- Providing technical guidelines in the form of drawings and documents to site roads construction engineers to achieve the standard objectives of the project
- Providing recommendations in installing new equipment to accomplish the Roads construction project
- Serving the role of a technical expert in the domain of planning, designing and constructing facilities.
Duties and Responsibilities includes but not limited to these:
- To ensure that the road is constructed in accordance with the Technical Specifications, Engineering Drawings or any amendments thereto and meet the standard quality of the end product
- To optimize the use of available material resources to minimize costs to the Client, to maximize the quality of the Works, to expedite construction and to optimize the use of natural resources and ensure environmentally as well as socially sustainable construction
- To ensure that the road is constructed within the Contract Price and Time for Completion allowed under the Contract or any agreed amendments thereto.
- Providing design and drafting services for roads design team for the preliminary and detail design phases of a project;
- Preparing drawings in accordance with our client and the Host Government.
- Preparing design drawings using AutoCAD or similar type software.
- Interpreting survey results into technical drawings.
- Promoting and improving professional standards for road engineering design
- Analyze survey reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photography, or other topographical or geologic data.
- Inspect project sites to monitor progress and ensure conformance to design specifications and safety or sanitation standards.
- Estimate quantities and cost of materials, equipment, or labor to determine project feasibility.
- Provide technical advice to industrial or managerial personnel regarding design, Roads construction, or program modifications or structural repairs.
- Compute load and grade requirements, water flow rates, or material stress factors to determine design specifications.
- Plan and design transportation or hydraulic systems or structures using computer assisted design or drawing tools.
- Direct or participate in surveying to lay out installations or establish reference points, grades, or elevations to guide roads construction.
- Design energy efficient or environmentally sound civil structures.
- Direct engineering activities ensuring compliance with environmental, safety, or other governmental regulations.
- Manage and direct the roads construction, operations, or maintenance activities at project site.
- Prepare or present public reports on topics such as bid proposals, deeds, environmental impact statements, or property and right-of-way descriptions.
- Test soils or materials to determine the adequacy and strength of foundations, concrete, asphalt, or steel.
- Conduct studies of traffic patterns or environmental conditions to identify engineering problems and assess potential project impact.
- Identify environmental risks and develop risk management strategies for civil engineering roads construction projects.
- Carry out any other duties assigned by his or her supervisor
Required Qualifications, Experience and Skills:
- Minimum Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering with at least 3 years’ experience in road construction, design and planning. Qualifications or specialized transportation enigeerengineering highly desirable.
- At least 5 years of professional work experience in Roads Construction.
- Experience in working in the public sector.
- Excellent organizing and structure design skills;
- Demonstrated structural skills;
- Demonstrated competence in the use of engineering software’s;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Somali. Fluency in English highly desirable.
- Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org,and must be cc’d: email@example.com, Closing date by 25thMay, 2019 @12:00pm. Kindly indicate “Director of Roadsdepartment (Civil engineer) MPWRH Hirshabelle State Somalia–VA-no0062” on the subject line when applying.
- Qualified Female candidate is highly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.