Director Reconstruction & maintenance
SOMALIA STRENGTHENING INSTITUTIONS FOR PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT (SSIPWP)
Director of reconstruction & maintenance
Terms of Reference
|Position Title:||Director Reconstruction &maintenance|
|Reporting to:||Director general|
|Duration:||20 Months (depending on continued budget availability and need for the position as well as satisfactory or better performance evaluations)|
|Duty Station:||Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H Southwest state Somalia)|
Somalia Strengthening Institutions for Public Works Project (SSIPWP):
The SSIPWP project is the centre piece for building the capacity of the Federal Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H) and the recently established state-level Ministries and the Banadir Regional Administration (BRA) by developing more effective, efficient, inclusive and accountable institutions for public works and infrastructure.
The SSIPWP project is funded by the African Development Fund (ADF) and the Transition Support Facility (TSF) of the African Development Bank (AfDB) and implemented through a Tripartite Protocol Agreement between the Somalia Federal Government, African Development Fund and the United Nations Office for Project Service (UNOPS).
The purpose of the SSIPWP project is improve the capacities of MPWR&H, State-Level Ministries and BRA responsible for public works to enable them independently plan, manage and oversee infrastructure construction projects and maintenance of public works (Project Appraisal Report, 2016).
- The Construction Director is responsible for planning, directing, coordinating, or budgeting activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems of the department. S/he executes/oversees the construction projects of the Federal Government of Somalia from designing to scheduling to implementation.
Scope of services
- Director of Reconstruction & maintenance will manage the Reconstruction of Southwest State Government old premises renovation and maintenance, including supervising sites.
Duties and Responsibilities includes but not limited to these:
- Executes all functions and responsibilities mandated to Reconstruction department of the Ministry;
- Chairs all meetings of the department and assigns work to the department staff;
- Schedules the project in logical steps and budget time required to meet deadlines;
- Determine labor requirements and dispatch workers to construction and reconstruction sites;
- Inspect and review projects to monitor compliance with building and safety codes, and other regulations of the ministry;
- Interprets and explains plans and contract terms to administrative staff, workers, and clients, representing the ministry;
- Prepares contracts and negotiate revisions, changes and additions to contractual agreements with architects, consultants, clients, suppliers and subcontractors;
- Studies job specifications to determine appropriate construction methods;
- Selects, contract, and oversee workers who complete specific pieces of the project, such as painting or plumbing;
- Requisition supplies and materials to complete construction projects;
- Prepares and submits budget estimates for the construction projects and progress and cost tracking reports;
- Works closely with Quality Control Department of the ministry to develop and implement quality control programs;
- Takes actions to deal with the results of delays, or emergencies at construction site;
- Confer with supervisory personnel, owners, contractors, and design professionals to discuss and resolve matters such as work procedures, complaints, and construction problems.
- Plans, organizes, and directs activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems.
- Investigates damage, accidents, or delays at construction sites, to ensure that proper procedures are being carried out.
- Evaluates construction methods and determine cost-effectiveness of plans and also ensures the compliance with the ministry’s building codes.
- Coordinates schedules and special event operations for the purpose of ensuring required facilities preparation. Develops long and short range maintenance plans/programs (e.g. emergency response plans, energy management plans, annual budget, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring that district resources are effectively utilized.
- Directs Ministry (e.g. site repairs/construction, preventive maintenance, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring completion within established time frames, project design and budget.
- Inspects new construction, repair work, Ministry, equipment, work orders, daily maintenance and supplies for the purpose of ensuring that jobs are completed efficiently; specifications for major capital improvements are within local/state/federal regulations; and approving inspection reports and payment requests.
- Participates in meetings, workshops and seminars for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Required Qualifications, Experience and Skills:
- BS or BA in Architecture, Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, Construction Management or a closely related field.
- 2-3 years of experience in Project/Construction Management of Commercial and/or Public Facilities.
- Able to read and understand construction drawings and specifications
- Communication skills with broad range of project stakeholders (construction contractors, engineers, facility managers, etc.)
- Preferred computer skills include the use of Microsoft Office, engineering software programs, and web-based databases;
- Knowledge of Somalia context is necessary.
- Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CVincluding contact information for at least two work-related supervisors as referees to email@example.com ,Closing date by 25thMay, 2019 @5:00pm. Kindly indicate “Director Reconstruction and maintenance, MPWRH Southwest State Somalia”on the subject line when applying.
- Qualified Female candidate is highly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.