Health Poverty Action (HPA) formerly Known as Health Unlimited works with some of the poorest and most marginalized communities in Africa, Asia and Latin America, often in very difficult environments. We work to enable these communities to achieve improvements to their health, promoting this as one of their fundamental human rights.Spanning almost a quarter of a century; Health Poverty Action’s work has grown to include programmes in 14 countries across Africa, Asia and Latin America (with more currently in development). We always prioritise the most poor and the most marginalised – those neglected by governments and almost everyone else. This has led us to work in some very difficult environments, often providing the only external assistance.
HPA Somaliland seeks to recruit competent and dynamic professionals for the positions of Driver. The positions are based in HPA Berbera office with frequent travel to project sites within the Sahil region as detailed bellow;
- Position: Driver
Duration: 6 Months
Duty Station: Berbera with frequent field travel in Sahil region
Reporting to: Transport & Logistics Assistant
Driver Job Summary
Driver needed to operate vehicle and transport cargo or passengers. Will have safe driving record, follow all national driving laws, rules, and regulations. Will follow prearranged routes to destination, or use maps and GPS to navigate route. Will also maintain vehicle upkeep and cleanliness.
- Drive vehicle for official travel as required or as requested by the line manager(s)
- Maintain high standard of service to both internal and external guests.
- Ensure punctuality and safe transport; observing the road and traffic laws and regulations
- Ensure that safe driving practices are adhered to including local driving codes and internally agreed standards.
Car Security & Maintenance
- Ensure vehicle is kept clean, tidy and in good working condition at all times
- Ensure vehicle is kept secure at all times
- Ensure vehicle is given regular/day-to-day maintenance checks: check oil, water, battery, brakes, tyres, etc.
- Ensure vehicle repairs are carried out properly by official manufacturers specifications
- Perform minor repairs and arrange for other repairs, prepare vehicle spare parts inventory
- Prepare and submit vehicle monitoring report, including records of vehicle operations, maintenance, expenses, mileage, at end of each month
- Assist the Transport and Logistics Assistant to ensure vehicle insurance and registration is updated according to schedule
- Prepare budget plan for vehicle
- Assist in the purchase of new vehicles as and when required
Car Logbook maintenance
- Log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, etc;
- Provide assistance to the Office Administration in the time working at the office, including but not limited to;
- Facilitating immigration and customs formalities as per requirements
- Photocopying, filing, handling mail, delivering goods and correspondences, carrying parcels, packages, and delivery and collection of official documents as per required
- Assisting in organizing and maintaining the warehouse system; arranging meetings, training and workshop activities
- Maintaining office storage facility/garage (ensuring it is clean, secure, dry and orderly tidy)
Organizational Development Support
- Participate in the team buildings of HPA and contribute to the development and promotion of HPA values, attributes, culture and learning approach as required.
Relationship Building & Representation
- Participate in external workshops, working groups, training and other meetings relevant to safe driving standards.
- Establish appropriate information-sharing relationships with staff in similar positions within other INGOs and car rental companies
- Manage HPA relationship with other drivers/car rental companies ensuring driving standards, passenger safety requirements and driver courtesy and punctuality is achieved.
Personal Qualities, Qualifications & Experience
- Knowledge Understanding of transportation law
- Good traffic judgment
- Good knowledge about car mechanics
- Knowledge of the location of international organizations, airline offices, hotels and restaurants
- Knowledge on operation and maintenance of the office equipment
- Excellent driving skills
- Flexible, effective team work and interpersonal skills
- Good communication skills
- Good in communicating in English
- Computer literacy and familiar with software packages under Windows and email
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as driver with good driving record
- Effective communication with internal and external customers/partners
- Experienced in purchasing and negotiating with suppliers
- Experience with driving 4×4 Manual-Lever Land cruisers- This is a MUST
- Experience with driving to remote locations on project field trips and driving off the road in difficult conditions
- Ability to speak and write English fluently
- Being well-organized and systematic
- Careful, accountable, responsible and punctual
- A team player – personable, caring, helpful, reliable and diplomatic
- Honest and approachable
- Good personal grooming & personal presentation
- Willing to work long and irregular hours, shift duty and on public holidays as required
- Willing to take regular and extensive travel to HPA project areas in provinces
- Commitment to the aims of HPA
- Discrete and respectful of confidentiality
- Minimum High School Certificate
- Certificate in Defensive Driving
- Valid and clean driving license
- Holder of qualification in Vehicle Maintenance and Repairs desirable
How to Apply (NB- Please do not apply if you cannot follow these simple instructions);
- All Applications should be addressed to: The HR-HPA
- Please send an Updated CV and cover letter to: email@example.com indicating full contact details of at least 3 professional referees.
- Please Quote “PPS-HPA-DEC-2018” and the Position you are applying for in the Subject line of your email.
- Only applications sent by email will be accepted.
- These are national positions. We strongly encourage female candidates to apply for these positions.
- Deadline for Submission: Thursday 27th December 2018 at 5.00 PM. Applications submitted after this deadline will not be accepted.
- We regret that only Shortlisted Applicants will be contacted for interviews.