Education Project Officer
|JOB TITLE: Education Project Officer|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME:Program Education||LOCATION: Mogadishu|
|GRADE: 4||TYPE OF CONTRACT: Somali National|
|CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.|
The Project officer –Education under the guidance of the Education programme manager is responsible for the planning, implementing, monitoring and reporting of education project in line with and agreed plan of action and budget, donor, SC and government policies, requirements and procedures. The project officer will provide technical support to teachers focusing on effective planning, reporting, school management and leadership, EMIS and child centred teaching learning methodologies among others. He/she will ensure efficient utilization of project resources for the intended purpose through effective planning and monitoring. He or she will ensure the use of appropriate, cost effective and innovative approaches especially in improving quality, equity, inclusiveness and performance of students especially those disadvantaged groups. He or she will ensure synergy through collaboration and networking with other actors at region and district level. The project officer will ensure partnership with relevant partners including REOs and DEOs, CBOs, CECs, teachers and children. The project officer shall ensure linkage with education and other thematic areas at field level. He or she will play key role in representing SCI in relevant networks and forums and engage in advocacy and dialogue with relevant education duty bearers and stakeholders at region and district level
|SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Education Program Manager
Dimensions: Save the Children works in 3 regions in Somalia/Land with a current staff complement of approximately 450staff.
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
· Under the guidance of education manager involves in the development of new project proposals, concept notes and data collection
· Explore, document and disseminate new ideas, lessons and experiences from the day to day project implementation.
· Involve in the process of baseline assessments and establishment of project base line, for effective planning, monitoring and reporting purposes
· Ensure linkage, collaboration and partnership among sub sectors and thematic areas and other education actors at all levels
· Play proactive role in addressing key educational challenges such as poor capacity of teachers, girl’s enrolment and participation, education of disadvantaged children from IDPs, poor host community and pastoral community through innovative, cost effective and appropriate means
· Ensure that he or she has adequate knowledge and understanding on key government education policies and strategies, SCI Global Education strategy, international standards such as EiE minimum standards, MDG goals, EFA goals and other working documents
· Prepare detailed implementation plans for education project implemented in Adado upon approval by the line manager
Ensure that project is implemented in accordance with the work plans and the involvement of partners and Concerned stakeholders at all levels
· Ensure that SCI implements project activities in a most efficient, effective and sustainable manner
· Work closely and in harmony with colleagues in developing clear plans, workable monitoring system, baseline data and reporting systems
· Play proactive role in joint project planning, review, monitoring and evaluation activities.
· Under the guidance of the education Programme manager he or she ensures that education projects and components have robust monitoring plans, baselines, reviews and evaluations in line with project designs and donor guidelines
· Organize, Participate and play proactive role in periodic project monitoring and implementation of actions, and recommendations and sharing reports, lessons and best practices among education team and education authorities
· Ensure active involvement and participation of beneficiaries and relevant stakeholders including children in the process of project monitoring
· Ensure the participation of children/target groups in M&E based on CRP principles and approaches
· Manage project budgets in education efficiently and in line with donor guidelines and project plans as appropriate and as delegated
· Prepare annual and quarterly budget plans, forecasts and implement after approval
· Monitor and follow up budget, expenditure and financial reports
· Preparequality monthly, quarterly and interim report and submitted on timely manner in accordance with SCI and donor formats and schedules
· Ensure that monitoring reports are prepared and submitted on time to the programme manager
Representation and Advocacy
· Work closely with other relevant field teams to develop and implement advocacy plans in education in line with the Country Strategic Plan and global strategy of Save the Children
· Play proactive role in national and global campaigns to advocate for increased children’s education in collaboration and networking with other actors in Somali
· Ensure linkage, synergy and harmonization of approaches and strategies among other integrated projects.
Team work and Self Development
· With the guidance of the Programme manager the project officer understands and is able to adapt his/her roles and responsibilities in both emergency and development contexts
· Under the guidance of the project manager explores opportunities for self-professional development
· Ensure and contribute for effective and supportive team work and culture among team members
· Familiarize with education policies and strategies, SC global strategies, EiE minimum standards, Etc.
· Play proactive role in sharing good practices, experiences with team members and SC staff
|COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIOURS
Delivering Results (Skilled)
Developing Self and Others (Skilled)
Applying Technical & Professional Expertise (Skilled)
Working Effectively With Others (Skilled)
Communicating With Impact (Skilled)
|QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Diploma or Bachelor degree in education or a related field with additional training in education planning and management and project planning and management techniques
· Knowledge of current national international strategies on access, equity, and quality education policies and models
· Recommended a minimum of 3 three years of relevant experience in similar position
· Experience of working with local/national governments and capacity building of systems, partners and staff
· Ability to write quality narrative donor report
· Good interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
· Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
· Fluency in English, both verbal and written, required
· Commitment to Save the Children values
|CHILD SAFEGUARDING POLICY:
Any employee, consultant, contractor or the supplier undertaking an activity on behalf of SCI must sign the Child Safeguarding – Declaration of Acceptance Form] and comply with the SCI’s Child Safeguarding Policy which is a statement of SCI’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it comes into contact.
This extends not only to children with whom SCI and its partners work directly, but also includes children whom staff are responsible for. SCI believes that the situation of children must be improved through the promotion of their rights supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children International’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES STATEMENT
Save the Children is committed to supporting performance based career progression for female employees. The following are additional benefits which applies to successful female candidates
· 16 weeks of maternity leave subject to certain length of service conditions
· Increased health and dependence allowance
· 30 days of annual leave excluding weekends [Fridays]
|CODE OF CONDUCT
Because Save the Children’s work is based on deeply held values and principles, it is essential that our commitment to children’s rights and humanitarian principles is supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to.
Declaration of commitment:
I …………… understand and agree to undertake my responsibility in accordance with the above listed accountabilities/activities and also abide the terms and conditions of the contract
Signature: ……………….. Date: ………………
Education Project Officer- Mogadishu– Somali Nationals Only
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
The Project officer –Education under the guidance of the Education programme manager is responsible for the planning, implementing, monitoring and reporting of education project in line with and agreed plan of action and budget, donor, SC and government policies, requirements and procedures.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with the possibility of extension
Location: Mogadishu- Somalia
Qualifications and Experience
- Diploma or Bachelor degree in education or a related field with additional training in education planning and management and project planning and management techniques
- Knowledge of current national international strategies on access, equity, and quality education policies and models
- Recommended a minimum of 3 three years of relevant experience in similar position
- Experience of working with local/national governments and capacity building of systems, partners and staff
- Ability to write quality narrative donor report
- Good interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written, required
- Commitment to Save the Children values
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
Application will be closed on 10th Feb 2019.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents